The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Colorado Amendment 64

Aka...legalization of recreational marijuana. It looks very much like it's going to pass!

Thoughts from my fellow Coloradans and from the nation?

While I don't (or have ever) smoked marijuana, I voted for this. I can see a huge benefit with extra tax dollars, increased jobs, and less criminals.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

9 members found this post helpful.

Looks like we're going to pass it on Washington as well.

6 members found this post helpful.

The only problem with it is that marijuana is still illegal on a federal level. I'm curious to see how it will all play out.

1 members found this post helpful.

They just called it as passed up here.

2 members found this post helpful.

Calling it a pass here in CO too.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Yes I'm curious about that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    The only problem with it is that marijuana is still illegal on a federal level. I'm curious to see how it will all play out.

I don't smoke pot, never got into it. But I am all for legalization and taxation. Let's stop putting people in jail over this kind of thing and focus on the bigger issues. Further, let's generate some income from the industry!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

17 members found this post helpful.

I supported this, but I am surprised we passed it! By all means--let's regulate the industry and tax it!

7 members found this post helpful.

Yes, the Governor just said he felt the feds would say it's not possible. We shall see. I think letting a state or two or three try it and see how much money can be made from the sale and taxation, and money saved on prohibition and jailing of users is a smart thing to do.

But, yeah. We'll see what comes of it.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

From what I've read, although still illegal under US law, the national level enforcers are more concerned with the availability of MJ to minors and dealers.

However, there is the issue of how the purveyors of MJ will be able to bank their sales. Banks don't want to be complicit in drug money, so it has been a problem.
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

No doubt, law-makers in Canada will be watching this very closely. Making it legal has been bandied about up here for a while too.
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Here in California, it's been legal for medical use for a while, and they still haven't worked out the issues with state vs federal laws. I don't have much experience or expert knowledge on the topic, but from my understanding its basically a gamble. Overall, state and local governments couldn't care less as long as you have a card (which, IMO, we should just do away with entirely since they're a joke and shockingly easy to get). However, you can still run into huge problems with the federal government and they do raid shops as they please.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

I'd like to see it legalized. It's far less dangerous than alchohol, and ridiculous to be putting people in jail for having a small amount. I smoked it in high school, and the worst thing it did, was make me gain weight from the munchies. Wouldn't be interested in smoking it if legal, because of that.
    When my dad had cancer and was so nauseous, and couldn't eat, I wished I could have had access to it legally. I think it might have made my dad more comfortable. He wouldn't do it since it was illegal, and he didn't want any of his kids getting in trouble for procurring some for him.

8 members found this post helpful.

I've always said that marijuana should be legalized. You guys do know that cocaine used to be legal? And it was in Coke way before even I was born. That's why Coca-cola got its name.

It's totally ridiculous for my state and the feds to keep the marijuana laws on the books. It does not harm anyone. It was made illegal because the "beat generation" used it. They were the group before hippies, with long hair and countercultural views, like the equality of women and blacks. The old movie "Reefer Madness" shows some of what people thought back then.

In my experience, alcohol is a far worse drug than marijuana. I've worked for and with alcoholics, and dated guys who were alcoholics. All of them, btw, in law enforcement. And all of them putting marijuana users in jail and saying that grass was bad.

Marijuana has been shown to be beneficial for glaucoma and for cancer pain. But the prejudice against the people who used marijuana as beats and as hippies has always been the reason that grass has been banned.

In the states where grass has been legalized, the feds won't be able to find jurors to prosecute it federally. When I worked for the state here, in the sticks, in one county southwest of here, the District Attorney said the jurors always found marijuana growers NOT guilty. The reason being that in that poor county the 2 main crops were blueberries and marijuana. Farmers growing pot. And jurors using it and supporting their economy.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    I've always said that marijuana should be legalized. You guys do know that cocaine used to be legal? And it was in Coke way before even I was born. That's why Coca-cola got its name.

It's totally ridiculous for my state and the feds to keep the marijuana laws on the books. It does not harm anyone. It was made illegal because the "beat generation" used it. They were the group before hippies, with long hair and countercultural views, like the equality of women and blacks. The old movie "Reefer Madness" shows some of what people thought back then.

In my experience, alcohol is a far worse drug than marijuana. I've worked for and with alcoholics, and dated guys who were alcoholics. All of them, btw, in law enforcement. And all of them putting marijuana users in jail and saying that grass was bad.

Marijuana has been shown to be beneficial for glaucoma and for cancer pain. But the prejudice against the people who used marijuana as beats and as hippies has always been the reason that grass has been banned.

In the states where grass has been legalized, the feds won't be able to find jurors to prosecute it federally. When I worked for the state here, in the sticks, in one county southwest of here, the District Attorney said the jurors always found marijuana growers NOT guilty. The reason being that in that poor county the 2 main crops were blueberries and marijuana. Farmers growing pot. And jurors using it and supporting their economy.
    This is exactly how I feel about it. Amen!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I'm with the why not just legalize it so that it can be taxed and regulated? Clearly prohibition did not work, so why not treat pot the same way? Its going to be around no matter what, so the government may as well make some money off of it.

I-502 passed as well here in WA. It is fantastic to see that maybe we really can adopt a sane drug policy that benefits society monetarily rather than costing us millions (billions?) in court and incarceration costs. The war on drugs has been a massive failure and I hope that our states will be the incubators for what will eventually be national drug policy.

While I don't really think harder drugs should be fully legal I definitely think all drug use should be decriminalized. Incarceration is about the worst way to "treat" what is ultimately a public health problem.

I am curious how it will affect obligatory drug testing linked to employment.

Considering all urine drug tests are really just pot tests, are employers in CO and WA going to stop this madness in response to the vote as well?

Just legalise it already! I've never done it, but it honestly can't be any worse than caffeine, alcohol and nicotene.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sswor View Post
    I am curious how it will affect obligatory drug testing linked to employment.

Considering all urine drug tests are really just pot tests, are employers in CO and WA going to stop this madness in response to the vote as well?
    In Colorado anyway, employers will still be allowed to make non-use a stipulation of employment and test accordingly. Fair enough.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

3 members found this post helpful.