The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Using chalk paint or milk paint on furniture

I've always thought that using it on nice antiques was heresy...but now I have to reconsider.
    I have a china cabinet, probably about 40 years old, that I bought from a dear late friend. So, it has sentimental value, but it just.doesnt.fit with our primitive / Victorian furniture. It is nice quality (ie wood, not pressboard), but has a lot of carving as well.
    Well, my DSO threw the idea out there...and I think it would really work with this piece.
    So....how do I go about it? It is a medium tone wood with glass sidelights and a glass door, and the bottom half has a two-door cupboard with a centre panel that doesnt open.
    Any tips would be appreciated! Am thinking of white, but have also seen some people use another base colour to show through n the scuffed areas. Can I just do white and scuff it to show a bit of the original wood through?
    ThanksQ!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Dee, is the wood unfinished? We used milk paint on several raw wood doors in our apartment and I have to say, I'm a convert. The coverage and richness of color are just incredible. It's very, very simple to use.

I know there are methods for making it "stick" on finished surfaces but they are much more work & I can't comment on their effectiveness.

Now, I can't see using it on an unfinished surface & then scuffing to let the wood show through; part of it's magic is that it really soaks IN to the wood. It's a different finish than a latex or enamel & looks more "aged" or classic anyway, but I think you'd have to do some serious sanding to wear enough away to show wood through. It REALLY soaks in there.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

What is milk paint?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I've used Annie Sloan (http://www.anniesloan.com/acatalog/c...the_paint.html) chalk paint twice now and love the results. You don't need to sand or prime the furniture and it gives a nice antiqued look. I seal it with the same brand's wax.

I know it's very popular to scuff it up afterwards, but I haven't chosen that route yet.

There's a lot of great examples on Pinterest if you're looking for inspiration!