The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

However, I did think about you LauraKY when they called your state for Romney/Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by rcloisonne View Post
    Huh. I thought he was found in Pakistan.

Besides, how would we feel if another country started an unprovoked bombing of our country because they *suspected* we were harboring a terrorist? Do any of you actual question some of the outrageous things we do or are we always "right"?

Personally, I don't beleive it is any more likely OBL was responsible for 9-11 than that anti-muslim video caused the attack on the American embassy in Benghazi.
    Where someone is found does not necessarily mean that's where they've been operating all along.

Osama Bin Laden founded al-Qaeda who is the group who claimed responsibility for the September 11th attacks. OBL had an established base on Afghanistan.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    Good Lord. I never said I thought it was true. I never said I believed it. I SAID I had read it and didn't know it was true. I don't even remember WHERE I read it. It was a long time ago.

MEA CULPA MEA CULPA Truce?
    LOL, but you didn't know if it was true. Really? We fight against national ID cards, how is it even remotely plausible that we would allow microchips to be implanted. Sometimes you just have to say that something is so ridiculous that it can't possible be true. Those old critical thinking skills again.

Believe nothing. Fact check everything.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

6 members found this post helpful.

If the GOP wants more votes they are going to have to become more moderate esp on social issues. I would have thought the results of the election might have given them a clue, but since I heard Ryan's name mentioned as a 2016 Presidental candidate, I guess they will remain clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    However, I did think about you LauraKY when they called your state for Romney/Ryan.
    Grrrrrr. We even lost Chandler! It's just a matter of time before we move back to true blue Maryland.

There is some hope for Kentucky. We do have a Democrat for governor and Lexington has a gay Democrat for mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    LOL, but you didn't know if it was true. Really? We fight against national ID cards, how is it even remotely plausible that we would allow microchips to be implanted. Sometimes you just have to say that something is so ridiculous that it can't possible be true. Those old critical thinking skills again.

Believe nothing. Fact check everything.
    One of the problems with communicating through writing is that you can't always discern the smile/tongue in cheek response. Which is what the "chip" remark was. One tends to forget that when passions are running high and divisive a remark that wouldn't receive a second thought under normal circumstances is elevated way out of proportion.

I DID apologize, but it seems y'all are unwilling to let it go.

1 members found this post helpful.

Laura, don't forget Congressman Awesome (aka Yarmuth) over in Louisville. As far as losing Chandler, there was so little difference between him and Barr that's it's not much loss.

The biggest thing to hope for now is bringing Mitch back home in 2014.

Very true. But over here, a bit south of Lexington, it's like a different country from Louisville.

Anyone but Mitch, 2014. I hear rumors of an Ashley Judd run.

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    Where someone is found does not necessarily mean that's where they've been operating all along.

Osama Bin Laden founded al-Qaeda who is the group who claimed responsibility for the September 11th attacks. OBL had an established base on Afghanistan.
    Wait - Osama Bin Laden is DEAD???

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...ters_2012.html
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonWitch View Post
    I'm not understanding the point you're trying to make. I assume you're joking about the topic, but what is the punch line and who is it aimed at?

Anyone but Mitch, 2014. I hear rumors of an Ashley Judd run.
    A hot actress married to a race car driver could be a winner in KY. But her strong opposition to mountaintop removal would guarantee mountains of money poured into her opponent's campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    I'm not understanding the point you're trying to make. I assume you're joking about the topic, but what is the punch line and who is it aimed at?
    Because the "black" people in Harlem didn't know bin Laden was dead. Have you ever seen any of the other ask the man on the street videos. The people of our country, as a whole, are sadly uneducated in politics and national/international affairs.

Here you go, same thing with mostly white faces.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/this-video-of-teens-failing-miserably-at-a-civics-quiz-is-so-depressing-its-funny/

Just watch Jay Leno and the "Jay-walking" bits. It's sadly enlightening - doesn't matter the color - it's universal

Because the "black" people in Harlem didn't know bin Laden was dead. Have you ever seen any of the other ask the man on the street videos. The people of our country, as a whole, are sadly uneducated in politics and national/international affairs.

Here you go, same thing with mostly white faces.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/this-video-of-teens-failing-miserably-at-a-civics-quiz-is-so-depressing-its-funny/
    Yes, the man on the street things I've seen are scary. I just didn't see that referenced in the post I was asking about and didn't immediately make the connection.

Since the U.S. media "is undoubtedly left wing" this is what I heard on the radio during my lunchbreak today:

The Limbaugh transcripts are in the context of the Republican Party re-evaluating what it needs to do to win, one of the most important things is to attract "blacks and Hispanic voters," who are not voting Republican. Why?

"...Hispanic voters are not voting for Democrats because they're for amnesty. Hispanic voters are not voting for Democrats because they're for open borders. That's not why Hispanics vote for Democrats....The reason they vote for Democrats is the reason anybody else votes for Democrats. Santa Claus!" and then went on again to say that "Hispanics only vote Democrat because of the goodies they want handed out." Repeated several times the "fact" that blacks & Hispanics vote Democrat because they want "goodies" and that we, meaning Republicans, have to face the fact that's why blacks & Hispanics don't vote Republican and do you really want to change what being Republican means in order to get the blacks & Hispanics to vote Republican?

He also said many times (if you've ever heard his show you'll know that to fill time he usually says the same sentence 3 or 4 different ways) that President Obama removed the have-to-work requirements for welfare, and now you just get mailed your check, that this was a specific action Obama took and now work-for-welfare is gone. So I looked it up and found that the media (but I thought it was "undoubtedly left wing"?) is not telling the truth about this. That what Obama did this year was, at the request of governors (Republicans - apparently Mitt asked for this back when he was Gov.) granted waivers and ceded some control over work programs back to the states so the states would have more control & more flexibility in their welfare programs.

Imagine that. (lol).

Apparently there was a Mitt Romney commercial with Mitt stating "Under Obama's plan [for welfare], you wouldn't have to work and wouldn't have to train for a job. They just send you your welfare check." This commercial was run by many media outlets (left-wing, remember?) and of course it's still being trumpeted today.

Turns out it's such an egregious lie that it gets "Pants on Fire" from the non-partisan PolitiFact Truth-o-Meter: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...bandons-tenet/

"The waivers, then, would allow for flexibility. For example, someone with a special-needs child might require different work arrangements than are currently allowed. "

Yet just 90 minutes ago 2 different radio stations in my area were airing Rush Limbaugh saying over & over & over & over again that Obama has stripped all work-for-welfare requirements from the program and now it doesn't exist any more. You just get your check in the mail, and that's why people, particularly blacks & Hispanics, voted for Obama.

3 members found this post helpful.

The point was (if I must explain) is that Romney was crucified for stating that there was 47% of the population that would vote for Obama no matter what. While it was absolutely true, it just wasn't "PC"...

There was a large majority of people that voted for him with not any idea of why.
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

The point was (if I must explain) is that Romney was crucified for stating that there was 47% of the population that would vote for Obama no matter what. While it was absolutely true, it just wasn't "PC"...

There was a large majority of people that voted for him with not any idea of why.
    You could say exactly the same thing about people who voted for Romney. Our electorate is, as a whole, pretty sadly uninformed about the issues on both sides.

Oh - I agree! My point was how what Romney said was true but yet the media jumped all over him and actually said that it cost him votes. Yet, on the other side of the coin, there is not a peep.

Oh - I agree! My point was how what Romney said was true but yet the media jumped all over him and actually said that it cost him votes. Yet, on the other side of the coin, there is not a peep.
    Well...it was an offensive thing to say, and sorry, not true--sure there are plenty of uninformed voters out there, but 47% of the country assumes that basically everyone that votes Democrat has no idea what the party actually stands for. Anyone who truly believes that is delusional. I don't think Romney actually believes that--he was being hyperbolic in trying to make a point, which was that he wasn't going to win in a landslide no matter what. A democratic candidate won't either.

And there wasn't a "peep" on the "other side of the coin" because nothing on the left was said implying that a large chunk of the electorate was un-winnable. If it had been, I would expect it to be talked about, and I would think it was just as offensive and stupid as I thought Romney's remark was. So...I don't get the point you're trying to make...

I think what caused the brouhaha wasn't that he said 47% of americans wouldn't vote for him, it's that he conflated that with the people who don't pay federal income tax, then also implied people who don't pay federal income tax aren't "taking responsibility for their own lives"

I have no argument with the idea that almost half of americans weren't going to vote for him no matter what - that was certainly correct. But tying that in with the people who don't pay income tax (the largest groups of which live in conservative southern states, and includes a lot of people who do work and pay other taxes) and saying those people are lazy moochers was what wasn't cool with me.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.