The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    Don't argue this way. It won't get you anywhere. I'm on your side but your message is getting lost in the delivery.
    I agree completely with showhorsegallery. I do not agree with shg on the issues and priorities, but I thoroughly respect his/her approach and method of communicating. It's rational, it's fact based, it's well written and coherent, there are no foul words and no gross generalizations... She/He is MUCH more likely to get my ear and make me think about things than all the emotional and reactionary ranting in the world.

5 members found this post helpful.

Like what? The only fail safe is the Constitution and sometimes I feel like that's no longer valued much. The three branches are supposed to be equal and act as a check and balance but the Executive branch has consolidated a lot of power.
    IMHO the house of representatives and to a smaller extent the senate pretty much blocked anything Obama wanted to do in the last 2 years.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Name one Democrat, any Democrat, who thinks that God intends some women to be raped and pregnant.

Here's Limbaugh today:

"[The old arguments of hard work, stick-to-itiveness, self-reliance, charity, helping out in the community.] ..All of these things that define the traditional institutions that made this country great, that's what the Romney campaign was about. It was rejected. That way, or that route to prosperity was sneered at. That route to prosperity was rejected. The people who voted for Obama don't believe in it.....They think that the only way they're gonna have a chance for anything is if somebody comes along and takes from somebody else and gives it to them. Santa Claus! And it's hard to beat Santa Claus. Especially it's hard to beat Santa Claus when the alternative is, "You be your own Santa Claus." "Oh, no! I'm not doing that. What do you mean, I have to be my own Santa Claus? No, no. No, no, no. I want to get up every day and go to the tree. You're the elves," meaning us."
    I don't know because even if they said it, I don't believe the media which is undoubtedly left wing media would report it. But I do know they say things like, "You didn't build that." Which is a very decisive and ridiculous comment. I know many small business owners and I can say that they did build it. Through their own hard work and sacrifice and no small part of risk taking.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm very curious to find out why you would think the economy would improve under Romney as opposed to Obama. Other that he was a businessman, which is really not a good indicator of presidential potential.

What is a good indicator of presidential potential? A community organizer and junior senator with no business experience? I think not.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    Last time I checked, I was a woman. I have 2 daughters and 2 granddaughters, 4 nieces and 2 great nieces. What makes you think we aren't worried about the rights of women? But let's get real. The chances of making abortion illegal are slim and none. Ditto for birth control. I'm more concerned that all the women in this family have the opportunity to grow up in a country that has a fiscally sound government, a booming economy so they can get good jobs that pay good wages and be able to prosper with their families. I want them to live in a peaceful world with a strong defense that is a deterrent against anyone who wants to screw with us. So I guess my priorities are a little different. I'd like them to be able to make their own choices concerning their health care and not be implanted with a "chip". Now I don't know for sure that that's in the bill, but I read that by 2014 we're all supposed to be implanted with a chip that has our health records and vital information. Personally, I'd go to jail first. I think there should be less regulation for our businesses. What right does the government have to dictate whether or not someone can smoke in their restaurant or bar or that every hotel has to have a permanently mounted handicap lift for their pool. In the little town I grew up in 2 bars closed after the smoking ban. Too many people just picked up their beer and snacks and went home. How many more of them? There are soooooooooooo many small businesses that have closed around here in the past couple years.

So My priorities are more on trying to elect someone who MIGHT be able to put us on a better economical path as opposed to the very very slim chance that someone might want to take away abortion/contraception rights.
    Last time I checked I was also a woman, and I never said we should not be worried about the rights of women, I said, Republicans are not against the rights of women.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper221 View Post
    If state laws get passed, they can get appealed up to Supreme Court because abortion is a Constitutional right. And I do think a more conservative court would be willing to take on another abortion case. Whether the votes to overturn Roe would be there we won't know until it happens (Scalia and Thomas are definite votes to overturn, Alito and Robert's views are less known), but if a Ginsburg, Kennedy, or any of the other more liberal justices are replaced by a more conservative president, it's certainly a concern.
    It's equally concerning to have justices appointed who are not strict constitutionalists and start legislating from the bench.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carasmom View Post
    I'm very curious to find out why you would think the economy would improve under Romney as opposed to Obama. Other that he was a businessman, which is really not a good indicator of presidential potential.

What is a good indicator of presidential potential? A community organizer and junior senator with no business experience? I think not.
    I'm sure KB Toys would have some choice comments about Ronmey's business experience
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carasmom View Post

But you see, you didn't answer my question. On what do you base your opinion that a businessman will make a better president? Do you have any examples?

And you know what, I agree with you on the community organizer, law professor (why do people always leave that out) and senator really didn't qualify him as having presidential potential. And I voted for Hillary in the primary. But, and this is a big but, he now has 4 years of experience. I say that trumps your businessman.

I still want to know what there is about having business experience makes you more qualified to be president.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    OMG I am so fracking tired of this. Please people, stop the bs talking points and educate yourself..

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2008/10...-the-cra-gses/

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2011/10...licy-to-blame/

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2011/01...-with-feeling/

Among thousands more. Please stop.
    The CRA was the impetus for lax lending laws, the Fed would not regulate mortgage origination. They penalized discriminatory lending practices in disadvantaged areas.

The big banks took the bait and ran with it.

I have read the CRA, and I understand the forces at play.. I dont need to read whatever you copied and pasted...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    The CRA was the impetus for lax lending laws, the Fed would not regulate mortgage origination. They penalized discriminatory lending practices in disadvantaged areas.

I have read the CRA, and I understand the forces at play.. I dont need to read whatever you copied and pasted...
    <Fingers in ears, yelling nanana you can't make me listen> For the rest of us, it's called confirmation bias.

I don't know because even if they said it, I don't believe the media which is undoubtedly left wing media would report it. But I do know they say things like, "You didn't build that." Which is a very decisive and ridiculous comment. I know many small business owners and I can say that they did build it. Through their own hard work and sacrifice and no small part of risk taking.
    You can't say the media "is undoubtedly left wing" when the # 1 News station is Fox News. So why doesn't Fox News report it then? Are you saying they're left-wing biased? What about The Washington Times, The NY Post, The Wall Street Journal, The Dallas Morning News, The Heritage Foundation, the Des Moines Register, the shows of Beck, Hannity, O'Reilly, and Limbaugh? NONE of them have crazy things to report because they're all left-wing media?

What's stopping them from reporting up the plethora of wackadoo statements out there?

8 members found this post helpful.

A question for 2016. Has the GOP figured out that by disenfranchising minorities they're only hurting their chances for the White House? The country is getting browner and younger while the GOP is getting older and whiter. That math just doesn't work.

8 members found this post helpful.

Heaven forbid you read actual research on the issue from people in the industry, economists and researchers, ALL who have refuted the idea that the CRA Fannie and Freddie were to blame for any of it.

7 members found this post helpful.

I honestly do not remember the democrats having much to say at all about abortion. If I remember correctly it was the republicans Mourdock and Adkins who actually are republicans that made the comments. How is this the democrats fault??? If you don't open your mouth and stick your foot in it there's nothing to salt is there??
    I also recall Ann Romney pretty much saying we could vote for the economy or human rights. Was a democrat holding a gun to her head???
    But the dems made a mockery of the election?? Holy crap batman - we sure as hell didn't hear the same things.

I completely agree with you. These two issues let the dems cloud the larger issues and make a mockery of the election. They were able to win over the simple minded and make them feel that small things are really big issues, while ingoring the really important things like the economy, the bloated national debt,and jobs.

I think it's hilarious how many people give my posts here a "thumbs down". In fact, if it makes you guys feel better to thumb people down, here's another one to soothe your egos. lol.

It bears repeating, it is not in one's best interest to support platforms that one feels are harmful. I personally don't agree with much of Obama's policies, so I'm not going to support his efforts to push them.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    But you see, you didn't answer my question. On what do you base your opinion that a businessman will make a better president? Do you have any examples?

And you know what, I agree with you on the community organizer, law professor (why do people always leave that out) and senator really didn't qualify him as having presidential potential. And I voted for Hillary in the primary. But, and this is a big but, he now has 4 years of experience. I say that trumps your businessman.

I still want to know what there is about having business experience makes you more qualified to be president.

The economy has done WORSE under presidents who had been successful busiinessmen than on those who were not successfull businessmen. There was an article about it in the Washington Post in the last couple of weeks.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Abraham Lincoln was a Republican.....

Quote Originally Posted by sunny59 View Post
    yeah, because the Civil rights Act of 1964 was called for by Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    And we all know, even Noms, who has been arguing with me, that the Republican Party of Lincoln's time has nothing to do with the current party......

And I did not say that ALL civil rights activities were D in genesis. There were certainly Rs that had the same feelings then as there certainly are some now.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    But he wasn't around in 1964.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    A question for 2016. Has the GOP figured out that by disenfranchising minorities they're only hurting their chances for the White House? The country is getting browner and younger while the GOP is getting older and whiter. That math just doesn't work.
    Some of them have, like Lindsey Graham

http://gawker.com/5939404/sen-lindse...to-sustain-gop

"The demographics race we're losing badly," Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) told the Washington Post. "We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

My businessman question was actually a trick question. We've had two businessmen as presidents, Hoover and George W. Bush. And look how that turned out.