The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    A random thought. Being that Romney is Mormon, do you think he believes in the "sanctity of marriage" as being " one woman, one man" or could it be "multiple woman, one man"?

:-)
    Come on now. The Mormon church does not support Polygamy anymore. Polygamist are a faction of Mormonish that is not authorized by the governing body of Mormonish.

I'm agnostic but I won't give Mitt a hard time for things that are out of his control.

Also I have no problem with Polygamy when it's a true choice between consenting adults. But so much of it happens to women who are born into it and have no way out. Polygamy almost always has a negative impact on women. Polyandry (I think that's the word for relationships that consist one woman with multiple male partners) is much rarer.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    Sorry, those links are not really fit for general BB viewing.
    LOL. Excellent response. It's like my father who adamantly claims that "everyone knows" yet fails to ever produce a shred of evidence. You said you could "post a billion" but actually you meant you "couldn't post a single one" because they are "not fit for BB viewing" - too funny.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    I cannot for the life of me, imagine why anyone would give this post a thumb's down.
    Take the thumbs down on these political threads a huge compliment. If you dont get a mojority of thumbs up, then your thinking is based on moral, hard working, self reliance and self responsibility.

5 members found this post helpful.

The South was traditionally Democratic UNTIL civil rights legislation. That's what shifted the South to Republican. They segued from Democrat to Dixiecrat & "American Independent" to Republican as the Democrats firmly stood up for Civil Rights. George Wallace? Strom Thurmond? Thurmond was a Democrat who switched BECAUSE the Democrats passed the Civil Rights Act. Geez, he holds the filibuster record in his speech against it.

Wallace was also a Democrat who left the Dems. When he lost a race for Governor he famously said to his aide SeymoreTrammell, "Seymore, you know why I lost that governor's race?... " Here's the Wiki link because the language probably won't be allowed here even though it's a direct quote. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wallace

Wallace then became a hard-line segregationist (and a third-party candidate). Why? Because his constituents loved it: "You know, I tried to talk about good roads and good schools and all these things that have been part of my career, and nobody listened. And then I began talking about n*****s, and they stomped the floor."

He won the Governership in a landslide, saying at his inauguration, "In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever."

And that, my friends, was the beginning of the end of the Republican Party of Abraham Lincoln. Of course, Nixon didn't help. ;-)

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    Come on now. The Mormon church does not support Polygamy anymore. Polygamist are a faction of Mormonish that is not authorized by the governing body of Mormonish.

I'm agnostic but I won't give Mitt a hard time for things that are out of his control.

Also I have no problem with Polygamy when it's a true choice between consenting adults. But so much of it happens to women who are born into it and have no way out. Polygamy almost always has a negative impact on women. Polyandry (I think that's the word for relationships that consist one woman with multiple male partners) is much rarer.
    Tell you the truth - I couldn't really care either. What adults do that doesn't harm others doesn't bother me in the slightest. It just popped into my mind and was mildly amusing. I know that the Mormon church, in the main, doesn't..... although it was one of the founding principles.

1 members found this post helpful.

The South was traditionally Democratic UNTIL civil rights legislation. That's what shifted the South to Republican. They segued from Democrat to Dixiecrat & "American Independent" to Republican as the Democrats firmly stood up for Civil Rights. George Wallace? Strom Thurmond? Thurmond was a Democrat who switched BECAUSE the Democrats passed the Civil Rights Act. Geez, he holds the filibuster record in his speech against it.

Wallace was also a Democrat who left the Dems. When he lost a race for Governor he famously said to his aide SeymoreTrammell, "Seymore, you know why I lost that governor's race?... " Here's the Wiki link because the language probably won't be allowed here even though it's a direct quote. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wallace

Wallace then became a hard-line segregationist (and a third-party candidate). Why? Because his constituents loved it: "You know, I tried to talk about good roads and good schools and all these things that have been part of my career, and nobody listened. And then I began talking about n*****s, and they stomped the floor."

He won the Governership in a landslide, saying at his inauguration, "In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever."

And that, my friends, was the beginning of the end of the Republican Party of Abraham Lincoln. Of course, Nixon didn't help. ;-)

Tell you the truth - I couldn't really care either. What adults do that doesn't harm others doesn't bother me in the slightest. It just popped into my mind and was mildly amusing. I know that the Mormon church, in the main, doesn't..... although it was one of the founding principles.

"We have a hispanic problem."

Last night the republican commentator on NBC (I think it was - whatever Brian Williams was on) made the statement above. I had to laugh because while I'd like to assume he meant that the republican party is having a hard time attracting hispanic voters, it also could have been taken at face value for someone who wanted to hear it that way (like some of my neighbors who are very anti-immigration).

I think there have been a lot of foot-in-mouth statements that really hurt the republicans.

I would guess that regarding the not-so-divided statement Obama meant that at the heart of the matter people want the same things. I've always believed this. The *important* things in our country are education, health care, security, the economy, the environment, among others. I think we can all agree that education is important for current and future generations, for our competitiveness in the global market, for being innovators; I think we can all agree that the cost of healthcare is outrageous and the system is very broken; I think we can all agree that security (from your local community to homeland security) is necessary; I think we can all agree that building a strong economy and creating jobs is paramount; I think we can all agree that yes, we do need to take care of our environment and think proactively about how to protect it for future generations.

The problem then becomes the politics of how to set and reach the goals so that everyone prospers . . . or at least has the ability to, and I think that's where so much partisanship comes into play, unfortunately.

I agree with whoever it was who mentioned gay marriage, legalizing pot, abortions . . . honestly, I don't think these things should be such political issues that they take any focus away from real issues. Keep abortion legal, legalize pot and tax it up the wazoo, let gay people marry. Future generations are more socially liberal and these issues will evolve in due time.

If there were a republican candidate who I felt represented the things that are important to me, I'd be happy to vote for him or her. I would be thrilled to have the opportunity to vote for someone who is socially liberal but fiscally conservative. As it is, though, there's too much emphasis on pandering to the far right that really doesn't represent where I think this country should be headed.

Anyway, I'm off to go shooting so don't have time to finish my thoughts!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Take the thumbs down on these political threads a huge compliment. If you dont get a mojority of thumbs up, then your thinking is based on moral, hard working, self reliance and self responsibility.
    Or, your thinking is based on major exaggeration and crazy conspiracy theories. Either way.

11 members found this post helpful.

Polyandry (I think that's the word for relationships that consist one woman with multiple male partners) is much rarer.
    It's a math problem. 1 goes into 10 more than 10 goes into 1.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    I cannot for the life of me, imagine why anyone would give this post a thumb's down.
    Take the thumbs down on these political threads a huge compliment. If you get a lot of thumbs down rest assured that your thinking is based on moral, hard working, self reliance and self responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    LOL. Excellent response. It's like my father who adamantly claims that "everyone knows" yet fails to ever produce a shred of evidence. You said you could "post a billion" but actually you meant you "couldn't post a single one" because they are "not fit for BB viewing" - too funny.
    I would be happy to send the links via PM, if you are interested then send me a response to my PM.

ETA, if you request the links, I am not responsible for your level of offense.

Also I have no problem with Polygamy when it's a true choice between consenting adults. But so much of it happens to women who are born into it and have no way out.
    There's the rub. Those same brides who have no idea that there's another option are of course "consenting adults."

Take the thumbs down on these political threads a huge compliment. If you get a lot of thumbs down rest assured that your thinking is based on moral, hard working, self reliance and self responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Kate66, do you believe that all Republicans are racist? Honestly interested in your answer, not trying to be smart.
    No I don't. But, if you look at the swathe of the country that is strongly republican, it is probably fair to say that a great majority of that is also strongly racist. I live in Texas, my husband is a highly educated, professional Hispanic. It is amusing (not in a nice way) to watch responses towards him, especially if he is out doing yard work etc. So, are all Republican racist - absolutely not. Maybe the question should be, if you compared white democrats to black republicans - are you likely to see a similar %age of racism? Very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    There's the rub. Those same brides who have no idea that there's another option are of course "consenting adults."
    I think you do white, educated polygamist women a disfavor there. I would agree that many Muslim women living in Islamic countries are not aware of other options, I would disagree that polygamist women living in the US are unaware of other options. However, have they been conditioned socially to accept that as the norm - absolutely. Therefore it is hard to judge whether they are actively making a choice or whether their norm is so pre-conditioned that that has become their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post

I call BS on this fact, the southern democrats, the democratic 18 were staunchly opposed to the Civil Rights Act that passed in 1964. That is a FACT.

The bill came before the full Senate for debate on March 30, 1964 and the "Southern Bloc" of 18 southern Democratic Senators and one Republican Senator led by Richard Russell (D-GA) launched a filibuster to prevent its passage.

This re-writing of history to suit liberal ideas really needs to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmeg View Post
    An interesting consequence of the election is that despite the Dow being down almost 400 points before noon, Smith & Wesson is up 7% this morning. My favorite source, MarketWatch, says that the huge drop is due to the situation in Europe. Can't imagine what has happened in Europe since midnight. Did Pippa Middleton's butt gain weight?
    The Eurozone is still on the verge of collapse, no matter how much more important Americans think their own problems are. Greek gov't is voting on austerity measures again.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I actually disagree with him, and think we need to get a person who is half black/half hispanic on the Republican ticket next election. As long as they don't bring up abortions , I guarantee you that they'd get elected.
    Thinking that you are guaranteed an election simply for throwing a token brown person on the ticket? Yes, your post is completely racist AND extremely insulting to every voter who participates in this great democracy.

20 members found this post helpful.

Lets not all forget that civil rights legislation was a Republican initiative, with overwhealming Republican votes, and with decided Democratic non-support.
    Holy historical revisionism, Batman.

It didn't have much support among SOUTHERN Democrats, true. Last I checked, LBJ and Kennedy were Democrats. The Civil Rights Act of 1964? Called for by one Dem President, signed into law by another, introduced by a Dem (although there was bipartisan support for most of the bill), and passed by a majority Dem Congress. The filibuster of the bill was bipartisan. Of Southern Republicans, NONE voted for the bill.

Civil Rights Act of 1968? Same deal.

So tell me, of major civil rights legislation, which bills were Republican initiatives?

The Democratic party has shifted and broken since the Civil Rights movement. Southern Democrats left the party en masse in the 60s, 70s, and 80s due to Northern Democrats' support for civil rights. This left the Dems as the more liberal party once the northern labor/Irish/Catholic/immigrant wing broke off from erstwhile Southern landowners. While the Democratic Party was once the party of the South and the Confederacy, the last of the Boll Weevil Dems left in the 80s. I'll give you one guess where all those old racists (Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms, anyone?) went.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

6 members found this post helpful.