The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    See, reading comprehension. Asking if you were that dense is NOT calling you a name.

And I never ever said the government should be creating jobs. If you read for comprehension, the government PURCHASES military jets for the DEFENSE of the country. It doesn't create jobs. Get the difference?
    Aren't there jobs created to satisfy the demand for the purchase of the jets? and, can't it be argued that cutting defense spending hurts the economy because once the demand of the government goes away, the jobs get slashed? It seems to me the government is creating jobs. That is why areas that benefit so strongly fro defense spending (i.e Massachusetts) fights these budget cuts - because they will lose jobs.
    Yes, the defense budget most certainly does create jobs. Within an easy commute of my house, that I can think of right off the top of my head are: Raytheon, Mitre, Lockheed Martin, BAE, MIT Lincoln Labs, iRobot...many more, and some small ones no one has heard of. All of these companies (and non-profits) have defense contracts. These locations are not manufacturing plants, they are filled with engineers and administrators. Many, many jobs, and well paying ones at that. And, since DH has long worked for defense contractors and subcontractors, and I hear about what goes on at work (that isn't classified!), I can tell you that not all of these jobs are strictly required for defense of the country .

Interesting interview with David Frum this morning...."Republicans lied to by conservative entertainment complex."

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/...120.html?hp=r5
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I have access to a lot of Conservative media here in the DC area and it's just hate-filled nonsense sprinkled with unsubstantiated factoids from those who want donor money. These Conservative think-tanks supposedly do research but never provide any proof except vague statements that they have "done their homework".
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

3 members found this post helpful.

http://www.jobcreatorssolutions.com/...u_want_to_help

Here is just ONE example of what is to come. I hope everyone supporting Obama on this forum is financially independent-otherwise the next 4 years could prove a pretty wild ride!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    This thread is a microcosm of what is wrong in this country today. With a few exceptions, neither side is listening to the other side, neither side is trying to understand what the other side's fears and concerns are and neither side is willing to sit down and talk. Everyone is too interested in proving that they're right and everyone else is not only wrong, but stupid for being wrong.

If we fall into the morass that everyone is crying about it won't be because one side is right and the other side is wrong. Nope, it will be because we're all too blockheaded to figure out that we're all in this together, we'll sink or swim together and we had better get our asses in gear and figure out how create effective compromises that will slowly and surely pull us up again.

There isn't an easy fix, folks. Things won't miraculously be all right tomorrow no matter who is in office or in political power. The economists, five years ago, were warning that we were headed towards trouble and that, once in trouble, we were going to have a long, hard climb out. Quit trying to assign blame. In my opinion, both sides have plenty of bad stuff to account for. Shake hands and get to work doing what this country has always done best -- facing adversity head on and figuring out how to make lemonade out of lemons.
    You're right. People don't listen to each other and try to see things from the other side's point of view.

I listen to the right talk about how the Government's job isn't to create jobs, but to create an environment where the private sector is unleashed to create jobs (which I agree with) but then say well we can't cut Military funding because that would hurt jobs. You can't have it both ways.

Every dollar that the Government spends first has to be taken away from someone else in the form of taxes. So money that might be used to create a private job, is used to create a public job. The problem is there's a lot, a lot, a lot of waste and redundancy in the Federal Government. Because they don't have to worry about a profit and they forcibly take their revenue they can just spend and spend without having to worry about being efficient. The Government continues to grow and take more and more. Department budgets have written in them yearly increases. If there's no enough money for that yearly increase it's derided as cut in the budget when it's really not, it's just keeping them at the same budget level as the year before. When we the people hear about cuts, we don't know if it's a true cut or just the status quo's spending level.

The Government needs to be mean and lean. This means cutting across the board in all departments including the Military. We can not tax and spend our way out of this recession. For every "shovel ready job" we are either taxing or borrowing for the money to pay for it. The real way to grow the economy is to unleash the private sector.

2 members found this post helpful.

Is anyone even remotely aware of the silly spending that goes on in government?

Try to find a way to watch The Money Hole with John Stossel.

If excess spending were cut there would be enough to somewhat please both sides.

Maybe even enough for free BC for Sandra.

Here it is on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6zM1WYhwPw
    Last edited by LMH; Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: add link to The Money Hole

3 members found this post helpful.

Agree on the crazy spending - that I believe is totally bipartisan.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    Is anyone even remotely aware of the silly spending that goes on in government?

Try to find a way to watch The Money Hole with John Stossel.

If excess spending were cut there would be enough to somewhat please both sides.

Maybe even enough for free BC for Sandra.

2 members found this post helpful.