The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Speaking of the respecting the rights of women, look what happened to Stacey Dash when she exercised her right and was going to vote for Romney. The vitrol that came from the left was disgusting.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    Now that's seriously very amusing. Do you truly believe that? Do you actually think that any government would ever get that through even if they wanted it?
    The bill talks about electronic health care records. A high number of people in this country die or have serious reactions because the impetus to manage health care records is on the individual. It will be a massive, massive step forward for any doctor you go to to have access to see your complete medical history without you have to try to remember every time you had a surgery, every drug you take or have taken etc.
    What I previously thought was impossible: Obama getting reelected, proves that the unimaginable can actually happen. So yes, imlanted chips dont seem all that all that preposterous.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    Building a bridge and maintaining it is a necessary and proper role of government. Building infrastructure for the sake of creating jobs is not, unless the infrastructure is truly needed. Make work doesn't stimulate the economy. Taking money out of the economy by taxing it, taking out the Administrative cost of collecting and allocating it, and then putting it back into the economy (now at a reduced total) to spend on XYZ project does not stimulate the economy. That's just taking a dollar from your right pocket and putting it into your left pocket and saying, yay I have more money!

The Government can not create more wealth. The pie always stays the same size. It's time to bake a bigger pie. The bakers are in the private sector.
    This is true, but it's the idea of using the money and resources we have for something we really need. Our infrastructure is in BAD shape. There's a show on the history channel that looks at our failing infrastructure in all ways, and they grade it as a D- right now. We haven't put the money into the really necessary things we need. The one I saw was on the waterways on the east coast and how they are falling apart. I live across the bay from San Bruno--I saw that explosion and fire go for hours. We need to move our resources from fighting and posturing around the world to building the basics of our country.

This is not the government creating jobs, but taking the focus from building bombers and paying fighters, which do not in themselves create jobs, to building airports and roads and waterways so businesses can come in and use those resources.

And we need to stop the hystrionics of the world's going to end because your guy didn't win and think you're going to be microchipped like your dog because we're moving into the 20th century (yes, I know it's the 21st) and not keeping records on paper.

6 members found this post helpful.

Obama's a failed president. A second term will do nothing to change that. I voted for Romney because at least we didn't know what he'd do. Unfortunately, we do know what Obama will do - nothing. Big mouth, small vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    That's a good sign! Maybe we'll get out of the war and be in the rest of the world's business business and get into country building. I'd rather those companies close down so we can put people to work here, doing things for this country.
    You do realize that Boeing does a substantial civilian jet business, right?

Do you seriously not know the repercussions of plant closings and 30% of management jobs going away? It affects an entire community, stores, restaurants, services? These people ARE doing something for the country. And ESPECIALLY the defense industries.

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    Obama's a failed president. A second term will do nothing to change that. I voted for Romney because at least we didn't know what he'd do. Unfortunately, we do know what Obama will do - nothing. Big mouth, small vision.
    Yes agreed, but can someone come up with a reasonable answer to how he was elected for 4 more years after such a failed first 4 years?

This is true, but it's the idea of using the money and resources we have for something we really need. Our infrastructure is in BAD shape. There's a show on the history channel that looks at our failing infrastructure in all ways, and they grade it as a D- right now. We haven't put the money into the really necessary things we need. The one I saw was on the waterways on the east coast and how they are falling apart. I live across the bay from San Bruno--I saw that explosion and fire go for hours. We need to move our resources from fighting and posturing around the world to building the basics of our country.

This is not the government creating jobs, but taking the focus from building bombers and paying fighters, which do not in themselves create jobs, to building airports and roads and waterways so businesses can come in and use those resources.
    Spending money on things we really need sounds great but you and I and Bob and Sue and Obama and Romney? We all have different ideas on what we really need.

Everybody's budget needs to be put into a priority list. When I say everybody I mean every individual person and every business and every part of our Government.

We need to have budget items organized by

A) Absolutely necessary, we would die without
    B) Okay A is taken care of this would be greatly beneficial
    C) There's money left over? Here's the next rung of importance
    D) Fun/Mad Money

You pay for A first and then if there's money left over you go down the list. You don't put yourself into debt to pay for B through D. That's the situation we are in right now. We're leveraging our future in the hopes that it will bring more prosperity on lots of D level things that are just not a priority.

3 members found this post helpful.

Yeah. Some of my family is in that business. It's GOOD we're getting out of the defense/war "business." Just imagine what great new, better focused businesses could come out of all those great minds and resources not focused on killing other people!

It's a fallacious argument. It's like bemoaning the closing of a typewriter factory or the whaling industry. Some businesses need to go away because it is no longer a valid industry. I don't think war and killing is a valid industry, and if we have to do it, we are WAY more modern that building giant planes to bomb people, or whatever.

8 members found this post helpful.

Spending money on things we really need sounds great but you and I and Bob and Sue and Obama and Romney? We all have different ideas on what we really need.

Everybody's budget needs to be put into a priority list. When I say everybody I mean every individual person and every business and every part of our Government.

D) Fun/Mad Money

You pay for A first and then if there's money left over you go down the list. You don't put yourself into debt to pay for B through D. That's the situation we are in right now. We're leveraging our future in the hopes that it will bring more prosperity on lots of D level things that are just not a priority.
    Governments opinion is that everything falls into category A.

2 members found this post helpful.

D) Fun/Mad Money

100% agree. I think, for various reasons mother nature has hammered into us, absolutely necessary we will die without, has to be infrastructure--dike systems in New Orleans, overflow systems in New York, earthquake safe bridges here, roadways that people drive on every day need to be safe, airports, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    Obama didn't cause this economy. His presidency inherited the crappy bad banking/investment/mortgaging schemes used by banks subprime borrowing and over-valuing of bundled sub-prime mortgages.
    Now that he's been re-elected, who will he blame for the last four years ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    Obama has always been "big hat, no cattle." The fact remains that Romney is, and always has been, better qualified for the job.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    You do realize that Boeing does a substantial civilian jet business, right?

Do you seriously not know the repercussions of plant closings and 30% of management jobs going away? It affects an entire community, stores, restaurants, services? These people ARE doing something for the country. And ESPECIALLY the defense industries.
    And by the way, these are NOT minimum wage jobs.

2 members found this post helpful.

Did you read my post, minnie? These NOT minimum wage workers are highly trained and could be of SUCH value to this country and to the new industries we should be getting into while we get out of war.

Wow. People are thumbs downing on getting out of the war business and building up our country?

Sorry. Double posted.

Did you read my post, minnie? These NOT minimum wage workers are highly trained and could be of SUCH value to this country and to the new industries we should be getting into while we get out of war.

Wow. People are thumbs downing on getting out of the war business and building up our country?
    I do think we need to stop being the policeman of the world. However it is in the purview of the Government to provide for and maintain a military. We should be at all times able to maintain two different fronts in the unfortunate scenario that this would be necessary.

A strong defense is the best deterrent. I don't want to go to war for the sake of it, but I want us to be ready to defend ourselves if needed. You can't be caught on your heels.

All the prosperity and freedom in the world won't mean a damn if someone can swoop in and take it from us.

9 members found this post helpful.

I do think we need to stop being the policeman of the world. However it is in the purview of the Government to provide for and maintain a military. We should be at all times able to maintain two different fronts in the unfortunate scenario that this would be necessary.

A strong defense is the best deterrent. I don't want to go to war for the sake of it, but I want us to be ready to defend ourselves if needed. You can't be caught on your heels.

All the prosperity and freedom in the world won't mean a damn if someone can swoop in and take it from us.
    I don't agree 100%, but I agree. This talking thing works!

I think we do need to be able to take care of ourselves and defend ourselves, but we have such advancements in the way we can do that, the focus needs to be technology and how we use that, not sending people to other countries, building infrastructure in other countries, or building bigger, better, faster jets, aircraft carriers, etc. A drone can take the place of a lot.

3 members found this post helpful.

Well, I told myself I wouldn't respond to this thread, as it has become kind of a shit show, but I've read every post and felt the need to get this heard.

I am a 22 year old college senior. When I was an even younger college student, I went to a party, had only a drink or two, and got incoherently intoxicated. A boy (and I say boy, not man, for a reason) forced himself on me, I did not consent, and it resulted in a pregnancy. I was 18, extremely immature, and absolutely not at all ready to have a child in my life. With the strong support of my close friends and family, I had an abortion. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to go through, and I've been through my fair share of strife.

I do not regret getting this procedure, and it forced me to do a lot of growing up very fast. If I hadn't had the option to have this done, my life would be extremely different, and not in a positive way. I care about the economy. I obviously care about getting a job when I graduate. For me, however, my vote was painstakingly simple--I could never support a candidate who did not support my right to choose what was best for my body.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

17 members found this post helpful.

I don't agree 100%, but I agree. This talking thing works!

I think we do need to be able to take care of ourselves and defend ourselves, but we have such advancements in the way we can do that, the focus needs to be technology and how we use that, not sending people to other countries, building infrastructure in other countries, or building bigger, better, faster jets, aircraft carriers, etc. A drone can take the place of a lot.
    I have a little insight into this because almost all the men in my life have been in the Military and have been to war. My Fiance was a Marine, he joined in 2001 right before September 11th. He was sent to Afghanistan. My Father retired a Navy Captain. He went to Iraq in 2001. My dad's Father lied about his age so he could serve in the Navy and went to war in WW2. My mom's Father was a pilot in the Vietnam war and was shot down and survived. My Uncle was a pilot and died in a training mission. My other Uncle was in the Air Force and now is a commercial pilot. My other Uncle served in the Korean war.

Our troops deserve the finest and most technologically cutting edge weapons and equipment we can provide them. They put there lives on the line and we owe them that at the least. The need the faster jets, the strongest armor, the best ammunition. We also need drones and unmanned weapons too. But we'll never get away from boots on the ground.

My Dad told me a story about his time in Iraq. They needed translators and they found a young man to hire. They paid him well and he was a volunteer. When the went into combat this young man was terrified and crying. My Dad asked him if he was (understandably) so scared why did he volunteer? He said he didn't realize he had a choice. In his country there was no such thing as volunteering. You either "volunteered" or you died or were imprisoned. This story touched me. While I maybe don't agree with liberating other countries and going into Iraq, these people lived under a horrible regime and I hope for the best for them in the future.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by giddybiddy View Post
    Well, I told myself I wouldn't respond to this thread, as it has become kind of a shit show, but I've read every post and felt the need to get this heard.

I am a 22 year old college senior. When I was an even younger college student, I went to a party, had only a drink or two, and got incoherently intoxicated. A boy (and I say boy, not man, for a reason) forced himself on me, I did not consent, and it resulted in a pregnancy. I was 18, extremely immature, and absolutely not at all ready to have a child in my life. With the strong support of my close friends and family, I had an abortion. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to go through, and I've been through my fair share of strife.

I do not regret getting this procedure, and it forced me to do a lot of growing up very fast. If I hadn't had the option to have this done, my life would be extremely different, and not in a positive way. I care about the economy. I obviously care about getting a job when I graduate. For me, however, my vote was painstakingly simple--I could never support a candidate who did not support my right to choose what was best for my body.
    Thank your for sharing this story. I know it has to be hard to talk about. As women we should support each other on this issue. But did you know that Romney's platform allows for Abortion in the cases of Rape, Incest and Life of the Mother?

I couldn't be father from the party line with Republicans and Abortion, but I also think you should consider more then just one issue when voting. I'm not saying that you didn't. I'm just making a general statement.

I can't stand it when Anti-Abortion people talk about late term abortions like these are a common occurrence. Most women who have a late term abortion are doing it for very severe medical reasons and desperately want to keep their babies. But when your choice is between aborting a baby that has no brain or having to carry you baby to term and delivering it still born you have nothing but my complete support and sympathy.

7 members found this post helpful.