The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    My businessman question was actually a trick question. We've had two businessmen as presidents, Hoover and George W. Bush. And look how that turned out.
    George Bush (either one) can hardly be considered a true fiscal conservative.

2 members found this post helpful.

Very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    The economy evolved into this mess over the last 35 years, and it's going to have to evolve back out of it. Did you know that our industrial output is actually at the same level as it was in the all-time highs of the 1940's? The difference is that automation has eliminated nearly all of the unskilled manual labor. No stroke of anyone's pen is going to change that equation much, and both of the candidates surely knew it.

On social issues, the GOP needs to start "getting it" about now that the culture has moved on--WAY on--from where they seem to be stuck in the "Leave It To Beaver" era. The "Average American" today is not a white, male head of household with a factory job, but a single woman of color--with kids and a service-sector job. A platform telling her she can't get birth control, must bear the child of a rapist, will never see pay parity or be able to afford retirement or health care is not going to win her vote, as we've seen.

Fear always results in finger-pointing at anyone perceived as an "out" group, but it just didn't work this time.

7 members found this post helpful.

If they aren't against women, then why oh why do they actually say it so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    What I said is Republicans are not against the rights of women, period. Dont post your ridiculous diatribe and assign my name to it.

Any attempt by MSNB-S, CNN, Huffpro, CBS, NBC, ABC, to run off with the STUPID BINDERS of women distraction was totally assanine .

I really thought it insulted the intellegence of women, but apparently I was giving some women too much credit.

9 members found this post helpful.

For what it's worth - Republicans who are really upset right now: the world is not ending. America is not going to shrivel up and die. It's actually, RIGHT NOW, already, in a recovery according to every economist I've read recently. Things are actually getting better in the economy. Whether you think that's due to the gov't or in spite of it, America is resilient and bouncing back. More than likely, everything will be OK. You really will be OK, and the next four years are not going to be some cataclysm or armageddon.

I work in the public sector and do nothing but demographic analysis all day long, and I can tell you that nothing could be further from the truth. Any job growth has been in part time employment; projections are for that trend to continue. U6 remains over 14%. Wages are stagnant, and per-capita debt is over $55,000. The market is down today over 300 points on concerns over debt and looming tax hikes. We are indeed facing an economic armageddon, and it will hit sooner than you think.

The binders of women is one of those things that if you have to explain why it's offensive.....

It's like "but some of my best friends are black (or Jewish, or insert whatever here)"

First of all, it wasn't true what Romney said about compiling the resumes of women, and he was busted on that statement immediately.

Why the comment got such a big reaction was the impersonality of it, the tokenism of "Binders full of women" like women were a thing, a commodity, not people...Widgets? You want widgets? We got boxes full of widgets. Women? You're talking about women? We got binders full of women.

As a stand-alone comment it showed his cluelessness but it would've passed off. However, this comment was just another log on the huge bonfire of anti-women statements from Romney, Akin, Smith, England, Mourdock, Walker.....So. There's either lots of GOPers making slips all the time and never meaning what they say (not good that they can't open their mouths without mis-speaking every time) or else hmmm, it sure looks like a pattern here of multiple Republicans making derogatory/uneducated/false/biology-ignorant statements about women (also not good).

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    If they aren't against women, then why oh why do they actually say it so many ways.
    Indeed.

Romney never did give an answer as to whether he supported the Lily Ledbetter act. It's a simple question that he was asked several times. But, hey, all us ladyfolk want is time to get home and make dinner for our menfolk, right?

What the party fails to understand is that the way to get women back is not to vote down things like equal pay or make horrible remarks about rape (and then to have your presidential candidate continue to endorse guys who make those remarks) or not to realize that abortion and birth control are not solely moral issues for many women but are much more relevant as economic and health issues.

And the binders of women comment was offensive (and very telling) in another way -- how in the world did a man who had been in business as long as Romney NOT know (personally or by reputation) a bunch of qualified women who he could appoint. Granted, Bain was a boys' club, but surely he or his advisors knew SOMEBODY.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

10 members found this post helpful.

Harry Truman was a failed business man.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    My businessman question was actually a trick question. We've had two businessmen as presidents, Hoover and George W. Bush. And look how that turned out.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerousDevo View Post
    For what it's worth - Republicans who are really upset right now: the world is not ending. America is not going to shrivel up and die. It's actually, RIGHT NOW, already, in a recovery according to every economist I've read recently. Things are actually getting better in the economy. Whether you think that's due to the gov't or in spite of it, America is resilient and bouncing back. More than likely, everything will be OK. You really will be OK, and the next four years are not going to be some cataclysm or armageddon.

I work in the public sector and do nothing but demographic analysis all day long, and I can tell you that nothing could be further from the truth. Any job growth has been in part time employment; projections are for that trend to continue. U6 remains over 14%. Wages are stagnant, and per-capita debt is over $55,000. The market is down today over 300 points on concerns over debt and looming tax hikes. We are indeed facing an economic armageddon, and it will hit sooner than you think.
    "In a message to employees, Dennis Muilenburg, chief executive of Boeing Defense, Space & Security, said the company aimed to cut costs by an additional $1.6 billion from 2013 through 2015."

That will make a total retrenchment of $4 billion dollars.

Pretty much the same for Lockheed Martin and many other defense stocks. They took a drubbing today. Along with coal, energy, iron ore, mining....go look at the market's results and the news behind It. Companies are downsizing, retrenching, closing some plants and consolidating others. Don't look for that to get better anytime soon.

5 members found this post helpful.

That's a good sign! Maybe we'll get out of the war and be in the rest of the world's business business and get into country building. I'd rather those companies close down so we can put people to work here, doing things for this country.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by loshad View Post
    Indeed.

Romney never did give an answer as to whether he supported the Lily Ledbetter act. It's a simple question that he was asked several times. But, hey, all us ladyfolk want is time to get home and make dinner for our menfolk, right?

What the party fails to understand is that the way to get women back is not to vote down things like equal pay or make horrible remarks about rape (and then to have your presidential candidate continue to endorse guys who make those remarks) or not to realize that abortion and birth control are not solely moral issues for many women but are much more relevant as economic and health issues.

And the binders of women comment was offensive (and very telling) in another way -- how in the world did a man who had been in business as long as Romney NOT know (personally or by reputation) a bunch of qualified women who he could appoint. Granted, Bain was a boys' club, but surely he or his advisors knew SOMEBODY.
    Romney already lost, he is old news, beating a dead horse.
    I thought the winners were now all about going forward?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    Heaven forbid you read actual research on the issue from people in the industry, economists and researchers, ALL who have refuted the idea that the CRA Fannie and Freddie were to blame for any of it.
    Heaven forbid you read the actual CRA legislation and form an opinion that you didnt google, copy and paste.

Au contaire, there are more that think the CRA was the exact cause of the housing bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    I'm sure the happiness will kick in eventually...right now I'm just relieved that the country will not be in the hands of someone who is willing to write off half the population.
    LMFAO! Don't bet on it!
    Sheeple! The people that voted for him deserve everything they are going to get! Enjoy!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    LMFAO! Don't bet on it!
    Sheeple! The people that voted for him deserve everything they are going to get! Enjoy!
    Nice. No sour grapes there....

Do you dems have any insight into what the plan for the next 4 years is? More of the same I suspect.

LMFAO! Don't bet on it!
    Hey friend. Let's not alienate our opponents even more by calling them sheeple. Let's try to convince them to see it our way with reasoned and personalized discourse.

Please.

11 members found this post helpful.

LMFAO! Don't bet on it!
    True That! My conscience is clear...

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    Hey friend. Let's not alienate our opponents even more by calling them sheeple. Let's try to convince them to see it our way with reasoned and personalized discourse.

Please.
    Nice to have reasoning adults in the conversation, no matter what the side! Bravo to you.

Who would do such a thing as come in here and name-call and nyah nyah, you're going to get it, just because you have a different opinion?

8 members found this post helpful.

One of the plans is for the government to invest in infrastructure which is necessary since much of the infrastructure is over 40 years old much is over 50 years old and more is over 60 years old. I use to review the bridge reports in our area which were scary since the bridges had to pose essentially an imminent safety hazard in order to be considered for rebuilding.

San Bruno Ca had the horrible natural gas fire from old gas lines.

It is needed work and will hopefully put more people to work. In our company the engineering departments have been decimated-hard to find any engineers left. This would help put, contractors to work as well. Anyway, this is one way to get people working and resolve many city problems that have been creating significant safety hazards.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    I'd like them to be able to make their own choices concerning their health care and not be implanted with a "chip". Now I don't know for sure that that's in the bill, but I read that by 2014 we're all supposed to be implanted with a chip that has our health records and vital information.
    Now that's seriously very amusing. Do you truly believe that? Do you actually think that any government would ever get that through even if they wanted it?

The bill talks about electronic health care records. A high number of people in this country die or have serious reactions because the impetus to manage health care records is on the individual. It will be a massive, massive step forward for any doctor you go to to have access to see your complete medical history without you have to try to remember every time you had a surgery, every drug you take or have taken etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    One of the plans is for the government to invest in infrastructure which is necessary since much of the infrastructure is over 40 years old much is over 50 years old and more is over 60 years old. I use to review the bridge reports in our area which were scary since the bridges had to pose essentially an imminent safety hazard in order to be considered for rebuilding.

San Bruno Ca had the horrible natural gas fire from old gas lines.

It is needed work and will hopefully put more people to work. In our company the engineering departments have been decimated-hard to find any engineers left. This would help put, contractors to work as well. Anyway, this is one way to get people working and resolve many city problems that have been creating significant safety hazards.
    Building a bridge and maintaining it is a necessary and proper role of government. Building infrastructure for the sake of creating jobs is not, unless the infrastructure is truly needed. Make work doesn't stimulate the economy. Taking money out of the economy by taxing it, taking out the Administrative cost of collecting and allocating it, and then putting it back into the economy (now at a reduced total) to spend on XYZ project does not stimulate the economy. That's just taking a dollar from your right pocket and putting it into your left pocket and saying, yay I have more money!

The Government can not create more wealth. The pie always stays the same size. It's time to bake a bigger pie. The bakers are in the private sector.

6 members found this post helpful.