The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Showhorsegallery, you are impressing me. A lot.

Much of what you are saying are things I feel but can't figure out how to say. As an independent, I voted this year sadly not so much for someone, but against someone. I hate that feeling and hate doing it.

Like Caffeinated, had the Republicans had a different person running, they very likely would have gotten my vote. It was so close, I feel that if folks in my same boat hadn't felt the need to feel like they were voting against the economy because the social issues were pretty damned important, Obama would not have won the election.

On one hand I'm relieved, like we dodged a bullet and on the other sort of feel like I have eaten something past it's expiration date just because I was starving.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Oh boy, again, who is that Col whats his name? Does not represent the republican party. Got his 15 minutes of fame on MSNB-S, and they gobbled it up. Unbelievable.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    That's actually not true. Conservatives as a whole don't consider all hispanics illegal or all blacks welfare cheats. But that is the perception. You're the evidence that this is the perception. The left does a good job of painting the right as a whole in that light. And the few conservatives that actually do think like that only serve back up that assertion. The truth is most conservatives are not racist, and there's probably an equal number of racists in each party.

Republicans don't do a good job organizing and getting out the vote. I did donate to Mitt Romney but I could not convince my Fiance to do the same.

If the conservatives could do some weeding in the party and then package themselves better I think they would be successful in convincing the general populace to vote for them.
    Unfortunately, many on the right do a great job of perpetuating that perception. Last night I went to play poker at the local Eagles Club. I know this is a conservative crowd, but that's OK. I like these people in general and I usually have fun. Well, last night was terrible. As the night went on and it was clear that Obama won, the comments were "I can't believe that N#%$# won again" and all kinds of variations on that theme. When someone said they thought that was offensive, it just got worse. THESE are the people that have chosen your party and they are the ones talking the loudest. That's why the perception exists... they might not represent the party as a whole, but they sure don't help your image.....

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    Oh boy, again, who is that Col whats his name? Does not represent the republican party. Got his 15 minutes of fame on MSNB-S, and they gobbled it up. Unbelievable.
    An aid to Gen Colin Powell (remember him?) a republican, part of Bush's cabinet, who supports Obama. Sununu said he supported Obama because he is black.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Oh boy, again, who is that Col whats his name? Does not represent the republican party.
    Who is he? Just the former Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Colin Powell. Doesn't represent his party? You mean when he says Powell made his choices based on qualifications and not race, that's not what the party believes?

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    It's not me calling the GOP racist, but the blacks and the hispanics, who are scared to death of them, and will continue to vote for the other side. I hope the GOP doesn't figure it out. I hope they continue to blame the mortgage crisis on poor people trying to buy houses and to talk about entitlements, as if people like being poor, and continue to destroy the educational system by demonizing teacher's unions and manipulating curriculum so that poor people won't even have that hope for getting ahead.
    The blame of the mortgage crisis rests squarely with the liberal GOVERNMENT policies of the CRA, not poor people. The BANKS also have much of the blame. BOTH OF THOSE GROUPS continue along their merry way, without care, and without any penalty.

It's not me calling the GOP racist, but the blacks and the hispanics, who are scared to death of them, and will continue to vote for the other side. I hope the GOP doesn't figure it out. I hope they continue to blame the mortgage crisis on poor people trying to buy houses and to talk about entitlements, as if people like being poor, and continue to destroy the educational system by demonizing teacher's unions and manipulating curriculum so that poor people won't even have that hope for getting ahead.
    This is a personal anecdote but I think it is demonstrative of the issues our education system has.

I have a friend who the bubbliest, most positive, most giving person you've ever met. She loves children. She lives to help children. Her lifelong dream has been to be a teacher for children in low-income parts of the town. The children who have no choice but to attend schools that are extremely under-performing.

She started work under Teach for America at a local school in a poor part of town. She worked her tushy off coming up with a lesson plan, decorating her classroom with motivational quotes. She really connected with her students and put her all into encouraging them. These are kids who never hear at home that they are capable of excellence. Her students had huge gains in their testing results.

The other teachers at this school hated her. They chastised her. They literally took down all her motivational posters in her classroom. She felt so alone at this school because her coworkers did not like how she was making them look bad. And this woman is someone who is impossible to dislike. She just radiates with likability.

These other lazy, negative teachers chased her out of this school. As much as she loved her students she just couldn't continue. Now she's working at a private tutoring center.

Teacher's Unions are there to protect the teachers. Not the students. Teacher's Unions are not advocating for better learning. They are advocating for Teacher's paychecks. When there is no fear of losing your jobs, most people get complacent.

Ask yourself this. If it was next to impossible for you to get fired and your pay was not tied to your performance, how easy would it be to slide into a bare minimum pattern of work?

4 members found this post helpful.

Lets not all forget that civil rights legislation was a Republican initiative, with overwhealming Republican votes, and with decided Democratic non-support.
    yeah, because the Civil rights Act of 1964 was called for by Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    Showhorsegallery, you are impressing me. A lot.

Much of what you are saying are things I feel but can't figure out how to say. As an independent, I voted this year sadly not so much for someone, but against someone. I hate that feeling and hate doing it.

Like Caffeinated, had the Republicans had a different person running, they very likely would have gotten my vote. It was so close, I feel that if folks in my same boat hadn't felt the need to feel like they were voting against the economy because the social issues were pretty damned important, Obama would not have won the election.

On one hand I'm relieved, like we dodged a bullet and on the other sort of feel like I have eaten something past it's expiration date just because I was starving.
    This is why I'm being so active on this post. I want to reach people who are maybe capable of going either way. I want to have a dialogue with y'all to share my thoughts and maybe change some minds.

I hate voting for lesser of two evils too. I don't think there's that much difference between many Republicans or Democrats because when it comes down to it they are almost all lifelong politicians. Their ultimate goal is to stay in power, not help you and me out.

Please everyone remember everyone has a bias and try to filter what is said through that bias. Ask questions, play devil's advocate and research for yourself.

To others reading my posts, if you don't like what I've said please tell me why so I can have a conversation with you. Maybe I won't convert you but I'd love to know what you think and have an opportunity to respond.

I disagree with President Obama's statement in his victory speech that this country is not as divided as it seems -- I have never seen America this divided. For many who voted for Obama (not all, but yes I believe many), this election was nothing but class warfare.

I have grave fears about the fiscal direction this country will be going in over the next 4 years during the President's second term. I am sure I will be paying at least 5-figures in additional taxes once the Bush tax credits expire and the cap on the Social Security tax is done away with (even though there will still, of course, be a cap on what I can hypothetically collect from SS, not withstanding that I will have contributed more during my working life time than the amount of the cap on what I can receive back).

And this is actually horse-related for me. My disposable income goes towards lessons, clinics and shows. My spending in the horse world's economy will go down in the same amount as my taxes go up. So, despite the fact that I work my tail off to be able to afford my admittedly expensive hobby, I will get to do less of what I love. And the people who make their living offering me services in connection with that hobby will see an immediate, direct negative impact on their income.

From a social perspective, I take consolation in the fact that we have an Executive branch that respects the rights of the GLBT community, believes in a woman's right to choose, and generally stays out of people's personal lives. For me, that is the silver lining to a very dark economic cloud.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Goldwater was against it, campaigned against it.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny59 View Post
    Unfortunately, many on the right do a great job of perpetuating that perception. Last night I went to play poker at the local Eagles Club. I know this is a conservative crowd, but that's OK. I like these people in general and I usually have fun. Well, last night was terrible. As the night went on and it was clear that Obama won, the comments were "I can't believe that N#%$# won again" and all kinds of variations on that theme. When someone said they thought that was offensive, it just got worse. THESE are the people that have chosen your party and they are the ones talking the loudest. That's why the perception exists... they might not represent the party as a whole, but they sure don't help your image.....
    Yep. You're absolutely right. Republicans need to stop giving the other side such easy ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I actually disagree with him, and think we need to get a person who is half black/half hispanic on the Republican ticket next election. As long as they don't bring up abortions , I guarantee you that they'd get elected.

2 members found this post helpful.

The stereotypes are:

Republican -- rich, fat cat racist who doesn't care aboput people
    Democrat -- lazy, minority who just wants to live off the government dole

The reality is:

Both parties have a few people that fit the above stereotypes respectively, but the vast majority of people affiliated with both parties are nothing like the stereotypes. But the media harps on the stereotypes, and cleary some people believe them because it is easier to demonize someone you disagree with than to have a legitimate debate with them.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

7 members found this post helpful.

When your party and it's media hucksters consider all hispanics illegal and all blacks welfare cheats, no surprise there when they won't vote for your candidate.
    This^. The Republican delegates throwing peanuts at an African-American reporter, for instance.

Remember this: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...ives-horrible/

Or Limbaugh telling a woman who identified herself as African-American, "Take that bone out of your nose and call me back." He's also said, "Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals look like Jesse Jackson."

Yeah. It's a problem.

13 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I hear ya. Back during the Obama/McCain duel, I went out to lunch with a woman who was my friend at the time and she was raised in rural VA. Real Southerner territory if you must know. She's a restaurant manager so she deals with a lot of different kinds of people from all over the world in her restaurants as employees and customers, so you'd think she would be tolerant and relatively accepting of minorities. She started making racist remarks when we were sitting down and sharing our meal and the topic went from Muslims to Hispanics and finally to Obama vs McCain and she had the nerve to shout "I'm not voting for that skinny ape and his purple nigger lips!" loud enough that several black people in the restaurant stopped and stared at her for a minute or two. Needless to say, she is no longer in contact with me and we have not spoken for over two years because she kept getting worse and worse after that.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I actually disagree with him, and think we need to get a person who is half black/half hispanic on the Republican ticket next election. As long as they don't bring up abortions , I guarantee you that they'd get elected.
    Haha, so true, sort of reverse racism.

Oh wow! Is this the proof the educational system in this country is in need of repair?

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post

I do not agree with that of speech from anyone.
    Yet if the speaker is a confirmed liberal/dem they are made VP. Remember Biden's initial public comments about Obama.
    "He is the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean. . ." http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=EgIFV...%3DEgIFV7jXBFQ
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim