The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 587
  1. #181
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,571

    Default

    Oh my goodness, Minnie. Simmer down. I assure you, you are not helping the Republican party image by posting the kind of nonsense you post here.


    15 members found this post helpful.

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Feb. 16, 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Bull hockey. But, if that's what you want to believe, go ahead. Your theory has been refuted time and time again.
    If the Government entities Fannie and Freddie hadn't been there to buy those toxic assets the Lenders would have thought twice about making risky loans. The Government facilitated the bad lending practices one way or the other. If the Lenders had to keep the loans on their own books they would have been more careful with their lending requirements. I got a home loan in 2006 and it was like asking for a loan to buy a stick of gum. I didn't even have to verify income. It was insane how easy it was to get a mortgage. I got another loan in 2011 and despite having a perfect payment history on my other mortgage, having considerable more earnings and having a considerably higher credit rating it was like pulling teeth to get the damn loan. I was pre-qualified and ended up getting slapped in the face during underwriting. The lending pendulum has swung in the complete opposite direction. Thank jeebus my father was willing to co-sign the loan otherwise it would not have gotten the property. I'm currently refinancing in my name only but it was embarrassing as a 28 year old who on paper is a wonderful credit risk to have to ask my Daddy to co-sign a loan.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Feb. 16, 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    815

    Default

    I want to respond to those of you out there who are unhappy with this election's results like I am.

    If you want to see the next election go a different way you need to change your tactics.

    First of all you need to change the hearts and minds of those who disagree with you. You need to explain your position in a reasoned and calm manner. You need to ask probing questions. You need to make researched and verifiable points. You need to make points in way that is personal to the person you are speaking with. You need to explain how what you're a arguing for is going to benefit the person you're having a conversation with directly.

    To those that agree with you, you need to encourage and support each other. You need to remain positive and vote on the local and national level at every opportunity. Don't get discouraged.

    And to the Republicans out there. If you want to win you need to STFU about Abortion. This is tabu topic if you want to win. You response to this matter needs to be, "While personally I would never have an abortion, I would never force my beliefs on another." That's it. Don't talk about it any further.

    When it comes to gay marriage you need to say, "While personally I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman I would never force my beliefs on another." That's it. Say nothing more but to add that you are full of love for all of God's children including those that are gay. Hate will get you nowhere.

    In a more general way the Republicans need to learn how important branding is. They desperately need to re-brand themselves if the want to be competitive next time around. No more "who's turn is it next". It's time to start fielding candidates that appeal to more than just the right. The Republicans need to study what the Democrats do in their campaigning and try to emulate what works.

    (These are my suggestions, nothing more nothing less. I'm not a Republican, I'm a Libertarian.)


    15 members found this post helpful.

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Apr. 4, 2006
    Location
    An American Living In Ireland
    Posts
    5,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Actually China, as with most other countries, preferred Obama http://www.globescan.com/commentary-...to-romney.html
    I headed into 2 local shops this morning. You know what my greeting was?

    Big smiles and "so glad America voted the right way!" And you should know this is a country is broken. There also isn't the American support it once had. Most of the big American companies aren't here anymore or are seriously downsized. Not that it means boo, but that's the take from this Country.

    I don't fully understand this "takers" attitude. The same can be said for the rich who don't have to pay taxes through various cuts so they pay little compared to hard working Americans. But that's ok because they earned it. Well everyone out there working earns it. I don't see the problem with paying your fair share no matter what you make. Taker can be defined in many ways.

    Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

    "I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.


    14 members found this post helpful.

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2011
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    I want to respond to those of you out there who are unhappy with this election's results like I am.

    If you want to see the next election go a different way you need to change your tactics.

    First of all you need to change the hearts and minds of those who disagree with you. You need to explain your position in a reasoned and calm manner. You need to ask probing questions. You need to make researched and verifiable points. You need to make points in way that is personal to the person you are speaking with. You need to explain how what you're a arguing for is going to benefit the person you're having a conversation with directly.

    To those that agree with you, you need to encourage and support each other. You need to remain positive and vote on the local and national level at every opportunity. Don't get discouraged.

    And to the Republicans out there. If you want to win you need to STFU about Abortion. This is tabu topic if you want to win. You response to this matter needs to be, "While personally I would never have an abortion, I would never force my beliefs on another." That's it. Don't talk about it any further.

    When it comes to gay marriage you need to say, "While personally I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman I would never force my beliefs on another." That's it. Say nothing more but to add that you are full of love for all of God's children including those that are gay. Hate will get you nowhere.

    In a more general way the Republicans need to learn how important branding is. They desperately need to re-brand themselves if the want to be competitive next time around. No more "who's turn is it next". It's time to start fielding candidates that appeal to more than just the right. The Republicans need to study what the Democrats do in their campaigning and try to emulate what works.

    (These are my suggestions, nothing more nothing less. I'm not a Republican, I'm a Libertarian.)
    I completely agree with you. These two issues let the dems cloud the larger issues and make a mockery of the election. They were able to win over the simple minded and make them feel that small things are really big issues, while ingoring the really important things like the economy, the bloated national debt,and jobs.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  6. #186
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2011
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Bull hockey. But, if that's what you want to believe, go ahead. Your theory has been refuted time and time again.
    The CRA legislation, which was impelmented to right a perceived wrong, led to lax lending laws, which led to the subprime mortgage meltdown.

    The BANKS that had their fist in everyone's mortgage pocket from 1990 to 2007 did not suffer any of the reprocutions of bad business decisions. They were bailed out. They are absolutely thriving now.

    The people who suffered were the working poor and the middle class.

    The regulations are once again righting the perceived wrong, they are now implementing tighter controls over mortgage origination.

    The people who are suffering are the working poor and the middle class.

    Proof that regulations DO NOT help those that they intend.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    13,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    I headed into 2 local shops this morning. You know what my greeting was?

    Big smiles and "so glad America voted the right way!" And you should know this is a country is broken. There also isn't the American support it once had. Most of the big American companies aren't here anymore or are seriously downsized. Not that it means boo, but that's the take from this Country.

    I don't fully understand this "takers" attitude. The same can be said for the rich who don't have to pay taxes through various cuts so they pay little compared to hard working Americans. But that's ok because they earned it. Well everyone out there working earns it. I don't see the problem with paying your fair share no matter what you make. Taker can be defined in many ways.

    Terri
    When I was in Ireland in 2003 people kept asking me "WHY did you Americans elect Bush?" I had to keep saying"I don't understand it either"
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.


    10 members found this post helpful.

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Oct. 8, 2002
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    9,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    I want to respond to those of you out there who are unhappy with this election's results like I am.

    If you want to see the next election go a different way you need to change your tactics.

    First of all you need to change the hearts and minds of those who disagree with you. You need to explain your position in a reasoned and calm manner. You need to ask probing questions. You need to make researched and verifiable points. You need to make points in way that is personal to the person you are speaking with. You need to explain how what you're a arguing for is going to benefit the person you're having a conversation with directly.

    To those that agree with you, you need to encourage and support each other. You need to remain positive and vote on the local and national level at every opportunity. Don't get discouraged.

    And to the Republicans out there. If you want to win you need to STFU about Abortion. This is tabu topic if you want to win. You response to this matter needs to be, "While personally I would never have an abortion, I would never force my beliefs on another." That's it. Don't talk about it any further.

    When it comes to gay marriage you need to say, "While personally I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman I would never force my beliefs on another." That's it. Say nothing more but to add that you are full of love for all of God's children including those that are gay. Hate will get you nowhere.

    In a more general way the Republicans need to learn how important branding is. They desperately need to re-brand themselves if the want to be competitive next time around. No more "who's turn is it next". It's time to start fielding candidates that appeal to more than just the right. The Republicans need to study what the Democrats do in their campaigning and try to emulate what works.

    (These are my suggestions, nothing more nothing less. I'm not a Republican, I'm a Libertarian.)
    I like this post And I'm neither Libertarian or Republican.

    The big thing is getting away from the pandering to the so called "base" and expanding towards the middle. Pick a reasonable candidate instead of either someone who is a right wing tea partier or someone who just says whatever the audience that day wants to hear.

    For instance - look at John Huntsman. I certainly don't agree with everything he thought about things, but watching the primary debates I was struck with "omg, he's a republican but he sounds reasonable and like he actually can think in a nuanced way about things!" I liked him. I would have considered voting for someone like that but when the primary process weeds out anybody who is normal or who can sound intelligent or who doesn't spend all his time pandering to the far right, then there's just no way I can consider voting republican.

    I think there are a lot of people in the world like me, who might appreciate some republican ideas and conservative policies, but who are very socially liberal (or libertarian? Mostly I think stuff like gays marrying and family planning are things best left to individuals, and the state should butt out). I can't be alone in this. And if they get their act together, stop focusing on social issues in their attempt to appeal to a dwindling hyper-religious super-conservative base, they might actually have a chance with people like me.

    Until that happens I just can't take the party seriously.

    I also think, if they want to appeal to folks in the center (or people of my demographic) they have to start taking things like science education and improving the environment seriously. No more tolerance for people who want to teach creationism in school, and quit it with the climate change denial.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

    My CANTER blog.


    10 members found this post helpful.

  9. #189
    Join Date
    Sep. 8, 2006
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    For instance - look at John Huntsman. I certainly don't agree with everything he thought about things, but watching the primary debates I was struck with "omg, he's a republican but he sounds reasonable and like he actually can think in a nuanced way about things!" I liked him. I would have considered voting for someone like that but when the primary process weeds out anybody who is normal or who can sound intelligent or who doesn't spend all his time pandering to the far right, then there's just no way I can consider voting republican.
    I swear I was thinking about this last night--whether, if Huntsman had won the nomination, he would've beaten Obama. Saw Huntsman on The Colbert Report months ago and was really impressed with him. He struck me as likeable, smart, and reasonable. What a concept.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #190
    Join Date
    Nov. 8, 2007
    Posts
    1,155

    Default

    When your party and it's media hucksters consider all hispanics illegal and all blacks welfare cheats, no surprise there when they won't vote for your candidate.

    Another thing rank and file repubs don't do: hit the streets and donate money. My repub friends moaning and groaning about the election never made a phone call, never knocked on a door, never donated $25 to the campaign. Guess who did: me and millions like me.


    15 members found this post helpful.

  11. #191
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2011
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    When your party and it's media hucksters consider all hispanics illegal and all blacks welfare cheats, no surprise there when they won't vote for your candidate.

    Another thing rank and file repubs don't do: hit the streets and donate money. My repub friends moaning and groaning about the election never made a phone call, never knocked on a door, never donated $25 to the campaign. Guess who did: me and millions like me.
    It would be nice if you could add to this very civil discussion without calling the GOP racist. Please, its getting really old.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  12. #192
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    13,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    It would be nice if you could add to this very civil discussion without calling the GOP racist. Please, its getting really old.
    From a republican http://tv.msnbc.com/2012/10/26/colin...ll-of-racists/
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  13. #193
    Join Date
    Feb. 16, 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    When your party and it's media hucksters consider all hispanics illegal and all blacks welfare cheats, no surprise there when they won't vote for your candidate.

    Another thing rank and file repubs don't do: hit the streets and donate money. My repub friends moaning and groaning about the election never made a phone call, never knocked on a door, never donated $25 to the campaign. Guess who did: me and millions like me.
    That's actually not true. Conservatives as a whole don't consider all hispanics illegal or all blacks welfare cheats. But that is the perception. You're the evidence that this is the perception. The left does a good job of painting the right as a whole in that light. And the few conservatives that actually do think like that only serve back up that assertion. The truth is most conservatives are not racist, and there's probably an equal number of racists in each party.

    Republicans don't do a good job organizing and getting out the vote. I did donate to Mitt Romney but I could not convince my Fiance to do the same.

    If the conservatives could do some weeding in the party and then package themselves better I think they would be successful in convincing the general populace to vote for them.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  14. #194
    Join Date
    Sep. 18, 2008
    Posts
    231

    Default

    Caffeinated, I was just thinking about Jon Huntsman too. Rational, not a panderer. If he had been the Republicans' candidate, I suspect the results would have been different.

    Lee Atwater's cynical "big tent" Southern strategy came home to roost in a big way for the Republican party. I am old enough to recall when religious extremists were marginalized (and rightly so, for what has religious extremism EVER given to humanity that is positive?).

    To the poster who thinks that unlimited money should have a credible place in US politics: I suggest you read the Citizens United decision, and some US history. Thanks to the Citizens United decision - anyone, even any *country* (commonly referred to as "foreigners" by many) can spend unlimited amounts of money to back a candidate espousing their interests, without ever having to reveal their presence. Do you really want China (or evil European socialist countries <-- sarcasm) dictating our foreign or domestic policies without transparency? Because that is the reality of politics: candidates are beholden to their money-lenders.

    Proud of the state of Maine today. It is a changing world out there, and that is a good thing.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  15. #195
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2011
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Can we also agree that copying and pasting a link from MSNB-S constitutes the lamestream medias constant mission to tow the liberal line?


    2 members found this post helpful.

  16. #196
    Join Date
    Feb. 16, 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    I like this post And I'm neither Libertarian or Republican.

    The big thing is getting away from the pandering to the so called "base" and expanding towards the middle. Pick a reasonable candidate instead of either someone who is a right wing tea partier or someone who just says whatever the audience that day wants to hear.

    For instance - look at John Huntsman. I certainly don't agree with everything he thought about things, but watching the primary debates I was struck with "omg, he's a republican but he sounds reasonable and like he actually can think in a nuanced way about things!" I liked him. I would have considered voting for someone like that but when the primary process weeds out anybody who is normal or who can sound intelligent or who doesn't spend all his time pandering to the far right, then there's just no way I can consider voting republican.

    I think there are a lot of people in the world like me, who might appreciate some republican ideas and conservative policies, but who are very socially liberal (or libertarian? Mostly I think stuff like gays marrying and family planning are things best left to individuals, and the state should butt out). I can't be alone in this. And if they get their act together, stop focusing on social issues in their attempt to appeal to a dwindling hyper-religious super-conservative base, they might actually have a chance with people like me.

    Until that happens I just can't take the party seriously.

    I also think, if they want to appeal to folks in the center (or people of my demographic) they have to start taking things like science education and improving the environment seriously. No more tolerance for people who want to teach creationism in school, and quit it with the climate change denial.
    I can't take either party seriously. For me it's always a case of holding my nose to vote.

    But I hope I can be a good advocate for the right side of the political spectrum and maybe convince people like you to give fiscal conservatism a chance.

    The fact is Gay marriage will happen. Marijuana will probably become legal some point in the future. Abortion will never be illegal. If you agree with conservatives on the fiscal issues you should go ahead and vote for them. Some in the Republican party may be against Gay marriage, and Abortion but they will never get their way so why cast your vote based on something they have no control over? What they do have a chance of getting done is righting our fiscal ship. Bush was not a true fiscal conservative. Which is why the end of his two terms had us in a downturn economically.

    The truth of the matter is you can not spend you way out of a depression/recession. There is so much waste and corruption in the Federal Government. There needs to be spending cuts. We don't have an income problem, we have a spending problem.

    It's the same thing with people you see who make $150,000 a year but somehow are living paycheck to paycheck. They should be able to have plenty of savings but they don't because they spend too damn much. That is the situation our country is in and has been in a while. Eventually it's going to be too late to do anything about it. Look at other countries like Greece for examples of what could happen if spending isn't reined in.
    Last edited by showhorsegallery; Nov. 7, 2012 at 03:11 PM.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #197
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2011
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    That's actually not true. Conservatives as a whole don't consider all hispanics illegal or all blacks welfare cheats. But that is the perception. You're the evidence that this is the perception. The left does a good job of painting the right as a whole in that light. And the few conservatives that actually do think like that only serve back up that assertion. The truth is most conservatives are not racist, and there's probably an equal number of racists in each party.

    Republicans don't do a good job organizing and getting out the vote. I did donate to Mitt Romney but I could not convince my Fiance to do the same.

    If the conservatives could do some weeding in the party and then package themselves better I think they would be successful in convincing the general populace to vote for them.
    Lets not all forget that civil rights legislation was a Republican initiative, with overwhealming Republican votes, and with decided Democratic non-support.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #198
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    13,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    Can we also agree that copying and pasting a link from MSNB-S constitutes the lamestream medias constant mission to tow the liberal line?
    OK, here's the source
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaW92c2hqNs
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  19. #199
    Join Date
    Feb. 16, 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    You can not convince me a majority of Republicans are racist. I know too many and I know what's in their hearts. When they're alone with me they have no reason to hide their true feelings. Not one person I know who is a staunch Republican is a racist. They want everyone to succeed. They just want people to be able to make their own way and not have to be dependent on the Government. Remember what the Government can give you, they can also take away.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  20. #200
    Join Date
    Nov. 8, 2007
    Posts
    1,155

    Default

    It's not me calling the GOP racist, but the blacks and the hispanics, who are scared to death of them, and will continue to vote for the other side. I hope the GOP doesn't figure it out. I hope they continue to blame the mortgage crisis on poor people trying to buy houses and to talk about entitlements, as if people like being poor, and continue to destroy the educational system by demonizing teacher's unions and manipulating curriculum so that poor people won't even have that hope for getting ahead.


    6 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 83
    Last Post: Nov. 7, 2012, 04:41 PM
  2. Poll; Does Obama deserve re-election?
    By riderboy in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 347
    Last Post: Nov. 27, 2011, 09:02 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep. 23, 2011, 03:36 PM
  4. Yet another election, this time for FEI president.
    By His Greyness in forum Off Course
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Nov. 5, 2010, 12:07 PM
  5. Thank goodness, Election Day is near!
    By Alagirl in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Oct. 31, 2010, 05:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness