The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Yes, they were problems with that, but not about how to get the country back on track economically and work with others and that is what we elect a president to do.
    We will never know now how the other side would have done that, will we.
    In the short term, maybe, but I doubt it would have worked in the long term.

Also, YOU might elect a president to fix the economy and take away the rights of others, but I personally do not. This election, I was more focused on the social issues, and while neither candidate was a super great choice, one (to me) was clearly the lesser of two evils. As I said earlier, I don't begrudge those who did vote for Mr. Romney, but I didn't and I'm not sorry about it.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    We will have to agree to disagree on that point.

Also, Mr. Romney and Mr. Ryan's viewpoints on some women's rights issues were MAJOR problems in my mind.
    As a very libertarian, Libertarian, I agree with you. But the facts are Romney and Ryan weren't going to be able to do anything about Abortion or Gay Marriage one way or the other. One day we will have Gay Marriage. It's going to happen. But I have a lot more confidence in Romney's stewardship of the economy.

This election for me was about the economy. I'd love a perfect candidate but those don't exist. Gary Johnson aligns more with my beliefs in most ways, but I voted Libertarian in 2008 and wasn't throwing my vote away in what I perceive a very important election this time around. I hope y'all who voted for Obama enjoy your climbing deficit, stagnation and continued high unemployment because it's not going to get any better over the next four years. You can't print or borrow your way out of debt. Printing money just devalues the currency and your savings, borrowing just adds to the out of control debt. Any family knows the basics of a budget but for some reason we think the Government can follow a different set of rules. This is not reality.

9 members found this post helpful.

My biggest hope is that we the people can at least unite in an effort to reform campaign finance now, in the wake of this true ordeal of an election. As others have pointed out, the amount of $ wasted on annoying, counterproductive ads, robocalls, mailings, perpetual pleas for contributions.... has been obscene. Let's please, please, try to make it stop!!!

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    My biggest hope is that we the people can at least unite in an effort to reform campaign finance now. As others have pointed out, the amount of $ wasted during this election on annoying, counterproductive ads, robocalls, mailings, perpetual pleas for contributions.... was obscene. Let's please, please, make it stop!!!
    I'm sorry but being able to donate money to a campaign is covered under the spirit of free speech. I don't enjoy the robo calls or direct mailers either, but I want people to be able to freely spend their money and support their candidate in the name of free speech. I may not agree with who you want to donate your campaign contributions to, but I don't begrudge you the ability to do so.

Also the money isn't wasted. There are whole industries that rely on this money that create jobs. Someone has to print the mailers, someone has to design the mailers, someone has to pay for the robo-calling machines on and on.

1 members found this post helpful.

My biggest hope is that we the people can at least unite in an effort to reform campaign finance now. As others have pointed out, the amount of $ wasted during this election on annoying, counterproductive ads, robocalls, mailings, perpetual pleas for contributions.... was obscene. Let's please, please, make it stop!!!
    That will be hard to change, it is how the game is played.
    I agree, the billions spent, even if it did help some parts of the economy right then and trickle down with a bit of a jump in economic activity, was not an efficient way to spend those immense resources.

Read yet another FB post this morning of this guy saying that he's seriously considering moving to Mexico or elsewhere because of the election results. I sent him JetBlue's link where they're offering free one-way tickets out of the country. Immediate Unfriending!!

24 members found this post helpful.

Sure wish I'd sold my stocks yesterday!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    I'm sorry but being able to donate money to a campaign is covered under the spirit of free speech.
    Only since Citizens United have we been subjected to anything like this. I think it's a travesty to equate $ with "free speech"!!

Only since Citizens United have we been subjected to anything like this. I think it's a travesty to equate $ with "free speech"!!
    In what way is it not free speech? I should be able to spend my dollars how I see fit as long as I'm not using it to hire a hit man or something ridiculously evil like that. I trade large chunks of my life for that money. If I want to give it to a candidate of my choice that should be my prerogative.

3 members found this post helpful.

Too funny when you think of it. America has voted "I want to have my cake and eat it too!" They have renewed their overwhelming support for the Republican House which has run on debt reduction and no tax increases, while electing a progressive president who wants to give more and more away and spend more money. Boys and girls, can we say impasse?

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    In the short term, maybe, but I doubt it would have worked in the long term.

Also, YOU might elect a president to fix the economy and take away the rights of others, but I personally do not. This election, I was more focused on the social issues, and while neither candidate was a super great choice, one (to me) was clearly the lesser of two evils. As I said earlier, I don't begrudge those who did vote for Mr. Romney, but I didn't and I'm not sorry about it.
    So, you think that having a country with a faltering economy and on the fiscal cliff edge is fine because someone is telling you the other side will take your basic rights away?

I do think that many on the extreme right do want to go back to 100 years ago and enslave women again.
    I am not sure Romney would not have agreed to that, but so much of the talk was to cater to those and it did get them almost half the votes, so it worked.

Was that a reality in today's world?
    You are afraid of that, so you voted for more recession as we have under this administration and who knows what else.
    Remember, it won't do any good to have an abortion clinic in every corner over having a thriving economy where more can prosper and benefit from it.
    I don't think this was the proper way to frame the two parties, but it is what their PR choose to do to gain votes.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    Too funny when you think of it. America has voted "I want to have my cake and eat it too!" They have renewed their overwhelming support for the Republican House which has run on debt reduction and no tax increases, while electing a progressive president who wants to give more and more away and spend more money. Boys and girls, can we say impasse?
    Thank goodness for that impasse.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne FS View Post
    Read yet another FB post this morning of this guy saying that he's seriously considering moving to Mexico or elsewhere because of the election results. I sent him JetBlue's link where they're offering free one-way tickets out of the country. Immediate Unfriending!!
    My response to people that say that is that with their attitude, they won't be happy somewhere else, because they will find fault there also.

4 members found this post helpful.

Todd Akin lost, Richard Mourdock lost, Scott Brown lost, George Allen lost, Tommy Thompson lost. "Overwhelming Republican support"? Hardly.

17 members found this post helpful.

Todd Akin lost, Richard Mourdock lost...
    Three of these idiots lost because of their asinine comments about rape and abortion.

The Republicans seriously need to weed out these kooks if they want to be competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by horsekpr View Post
    Can I get an Amen up in here?
    AMEN!!!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

Todd Akin lost, Richard Mourdock lost, Scott Brown lost, George Allen lost, Tommy Thompson lost. "Overwhelming Republican support"? Hardly.
    The Senate doesn't allocate spending. The House does. Look at the results for the House of Representatives. Like I said. Impasse.

4 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Republicans don't want to be competitive with Democrats because that would alienate their religious and hawkishly Conservative voter-base. Conservatism is on it's slow and steady way out the door along with the religions that nurture it, as far as American youth are concerned, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a collapse of Republican power over the next fifty years.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

What a depressing way to start the morning. I purposely didn't watch the news so I could drink my coffee in peace. So sorry I logged into coth.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Only an impasse if the House continues to block legislation "just because" it's from a Dem president. Chris Christie has given us all the example of to heck with party affiliation, let's do what needs to be done. Mr. Romney's concession speech last night sounded the same note. All these bitter people remind me of after the Civil War groups of people went to Robert E. Lee and tried to get him to lead a continuing opposition. Lee refused, stating that it was over, their side lost and he would have no part in continuing to keep the country divided. "It is the duty of every citizen, in the present condition of the Country, to do all in his power to aid in the restoration of peace and harmony."

22 members found this post helpful.