The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question regarding 'using (bending) hind lesg'

I posted a while back about improving my horses canter, thank you for the great replies....I had a clinic recently and the clinician said that he steps under himself nicely, just rather 'flat' with his hind legs - as in he doesn't bend the hock joint too much. We did bounces and he was great.

He is five and draft cross, and I think just experienced a bit of a growth spurt, all of which may?? contribute?

Any exercise suggestions, or any of you had a horse like this...Thank you.

What's his conformation like - if his hind leg is straight, there may not be a lot you can do to improve this. I do have a horse like this and it means she is really comfortable to ride, but does not have that powerful jump in the canter that is desirable/necessary for higher levels of eventing.

That said, she is a LOVELY jumper (evented at Training for several years) but really needs to go in a more huntery frame to be happy.

And it could be a growth spurt or strength phase.

Thank you Hilary. He is a big boy, probably close to 16.3 and pretty long bodied. He doesn't look typically drafty, has a nice length of neck, not too thick, more like a warmblood cross. I believe he has recently grown a bit, too.

I have had two lessons recently where we did grids, yesterday ended with 3' and he was great. I'm thinking more flat work and strength work.