The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Houdini Horse Getting Out of Rambos

My 7-year-old TB has figured out how to get off his blankets. Yesterday he removed his Rambo Wug with all straps intact and connected except for the tail cord which was broken. There were a couple of small tears in the lining but the sheet was for the most part spared.

The same cannot be said for his Optimo, which he pretty much destroyed last night, though again the chest snaps, surcingles, and neck cover remained connected. The stable blanket that he wore underneath was still on and undamaged.

I'm not sure exactly where to go from here. I am of course not too happy that he ruined a $$$ blanket but I'm also really worried that he could hurt himself. He is body clipped and lives out 24/7 so he needs to be blanketed. I've always been a big fan of Rambos. I see a lot of different brands in the barn where we board, and the Rambos are the only ones that seem to hold up and remain waterproof. The also don't shift or cause rubs as much as others.

He's turned out with a group of geldings and they can inflict quite a bit of damage to each other's blankets. I'm not sure if it's not a friend helping him, though he's fairly dominant and also doesn't seem to play as much as some of the others. The way I'm finding the blankets makes me believe that he's figured out a way of shimming out of them.

We're having some warm weather this week so hopefully he just needs a few days naked, but we're not done with winter yet so I need to figure something out ASAP.

Haa...my stallion Argosy was a master and getting is Rambo Wug off. Same thing -- buckles and straps intact. Have no idea how he could do that Drove me crazy.

I found my guy standing on top of his Amigo trampling it! He has quite the sense of humor. His blanket was quite roomy so I think that is why he was able to slip it off. Maybe try leg straps instead of a tail strap?

1 members found this post helpful.

It's easy to sneak out of a blanket with no leg straps ! You may want to just try another brand.

Now that he's got in the habit of this I'm concerned that adding legs straps could be dangerous. We came out one morning to feed and found another gelding with his blanket partially off and a leg strap wrapped around a hind leg. He was immobilized by it. Luckily he had the sense not to panic and we were able to extricate him from it without injury to horse or human.

If he's taking the blankets off, does he really need to be wearing them? Even if he's clipped, he may not be as cold as you think he is.
    Visit my Spoonflower shop

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    If he's taking the blankets off, does he really need to be wearing them? Even if he's clipped, he may not be as cold as you think he is.
    I think there is definitely some truth to this. We're having a bout of warm weather, and even though it's still pretty chilly at night it starts warming up early in the morning.

I will be leaving him naked the next several days but will have to blanket again when the temps drop. Hopefully at that point he'll decide having a warm blanket on is good thing, especially as he's borderline on his weight.

If you end up needing a new blanket brand that holds up to abuse, I love Northwind. Really good quality, and a lifetime guarantee against damage. I have one that I ended up giving to a friend when we euthanized my late TB gelding (and it didn't fit my mare at the time), and I had returned it to Dover and gotten a new one twice, no charge.

My horse takes his off and buries them. I wish I was kidding. So just be glad you found the blanket, and it wasn't years later... when someone caught the buckle with a mower and hauled it out of the ground!

4 members found this post helpful.

Northwinds are excellent. I have three of them. I haven't had them long enough to attest to longevity yet, but the one is three years old and holding up just fine.

I have a 12 year old Schneiders blanket that seems bullet proof. Except for saggy leg straps that need replacing, that thing has no rips or tears and is still 100% water proof. And it hasn't rubbed the horse that wears it either. And it was cheap.

I used to work at my trainer's farm. We had one gelding that would be naked frequently. He had a Rambo blanket. All the straps would be connected. One day, I caught the culprit. He would grab ahold of the blanket near the buckles on the front of the blanket, then stretch his neck out and down while he pulled. Voila! Blanket on the ground. His owner had d rings attached so she could put leg straps on. No more blankets on the ground.

You shouldn't have a problem with leg straps if you do them tight enough. I can totally see a horse getting caught up in loose leg straps !

Does anyone know if the new Rambo Supreme's have d rings? I know the Optimos do. I'd really rather stick with Rambos since I've had the best luck with them in terms of quality. I guess if need be, I can get them put on.

Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    Does anyone know if the new Rambo Supreme's have d rings? I know the Optimos do. I'd really rather stick with Rambos since I've had the best luck with them in terms of quality. I guess if need be, I can get them put on.
    If you have a blanket laundry and repair service nearby, they can easily put D rings on any blanket/sheet to accommodate leg straps. They use industrial type sewing machines and solid, strong hardware. I have had that done for Bakers and some of the Horseware items I have. VERY INexpensive to save a blanket from getting trashed, too.
    "When I look back on my life, the times I have been stingy or unappreciative haunt me. I don't regret one instance of generosity." --PeteyPie

I agree with tjose who said he is probably hot and itchy...shedding season is here.

And Yes... any blanket repair service can add 'D' rings.

My large pony wiggled out of his Amigo rain sheet. It had a broken/missing tail strap that I was too lazy to repair ....

Quote Originally Posted by debra1 View Post
    Stella’s barn
    Reported
    "When I look back on my life, the times I have been stingy or unappreciative haunt me. I don't regret one instance of generosity." --PeteyPie

If you add the leg straps he's more likely to get a good wedgie rather than a leg caught up I have found many a naughty creature with the blanket half up the neck and the straps all the way up the crack Doesn't look terribly comfortable, but not dangerous either, and saves your blanket.

About the Rambos specifically, that tail strap is essential...may not look like much, so people don't bother to fix/replace them, and whoosh, bye bye blankie. Secondly, I've seen a much higher incidence of doing that move with the neck covers....seems like they can use their neck to leverage the whole thing off. Maybe as the weather warms you can take the neck cover off.