The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Concealed carry permits

Curious as to others' thoughts on concealed carry permits.

DH is a hobby gun enthusiast. He has several antique rifles and handguns...use is limited to some target shooting with friends a few times a year. When not in use, they're all locked up in a safe here in the house.

I'm fine with the guns. I've fired them. I've gone with he and his buddies a few times, and while it's not my thing, it's enjoyable every once and awhile. I'm comfortable with them in the house.

But.

DH has recently applied for a concealed carry permit. I am very very uncomfortable with the idea. He assures me that he has no actual intention of regularly carrying a gun, so I'm left with ???. He wants it just because. It makes no sense to me. I guess I'm coming from a place where neither I (nor he) has ever been in a situation where a gun was needed, and I think guns can escalate things very quickly in certain situations. It's a very dangerous thing to have in a vehicle "just because". But DH assures me this is not what he's planning to do, so...
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I've had mine for six years, I guess, although in TN, it's a carry permit (not concealed). I sometimes carry when I ride. I keep my handgun in my LQ with me camping, since I am alone. I carry when I do certain aspects of my work that involve being alone with persons I don't know well. I don't see why it would be a negative in any way. I hope that all of my carrying is pointless, but I certainly don't want to wish that I had been carrying when I wasn't.

Oh, and I'm a left leaning mostly democrat, just to keep things confusing.

4 members found this post helpful.

I think it's a good thing for him and you. There is training and education involved before it issues. Having the permit will help if you ever have need to use the weapon.

4 members found this post helpful.

In CO, it is concealed carry. Open carry is legal as long as firearms are allowed. Have had one for many years and rarely carry. But I can if I want to.

2 members found this post helpful.

Don't worry about it!! I have my concealed carry, it is really no big deal. I rarely ever carry my gun with me. I do sometimes put one in the glovebox of my car if I am going somewhere at night by myself but I also have a dog who is not friendly to strangers as my other weapon!

1 members found this post helpful.

So to clarify, your husband doesn't have any training for gun handling/use in other than a target shooting, recreational, non-hostile situation sense? If that's the case, I'd suggest he see what kind of training courses he can take to better prepare himself for a "situation". Mr. Heinz' friend owns a gun shop and they have a First Strike simulator available with a (human) trainer, for example. Still not the same as real-life experience, but better than shooting blind. (sorry)

My boss has his, primarily because he didn't like having to have his gun out on the seat while driving. He does also carry concealed at times, though, so I can't say it's "just" for that purpose. He doesn't carry at work.

My husband has his, also. He wants me to get mine, although I would need quite a bit more training to feel comfortable doing that. I trust him and his judgment in carrying, but he has the training and hands-on-experience to back it up.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I think Kentucky is one of the states that exempts firearm purchasers from NICS, though they still have to fill out the ATF 4473. So maybe that's why he wants it.

A CHL is basically insurance - when you really need it it's too late to obtain it.

I also have a CHL and agree that if your hubby hasn't gone through the training yet he should. The shooting training isn't the point of the class, though - it's the session with the attorney to talk about lethal force laws in your state that is invaluable.

Many that like guns get a permit just because it is part of learning about guns.

I see having guns if you have them and may use them like having a halter and lead rope in your vehicle if you are into horses, or a leash if into dogs, for a pinch, even if you may never really have needed one or ever will.

If DH is a gun enthusiast already, what makes you nervous about him having a carry permit?

Both DH and I have our permits and we carry to varying degrees. We have guns in the house (obviously) that are always loaded and available to us, but we do lock them away when we have company visit. We have shot on pistol leagues, and practice target shooting, and have taken the required carry permit safety classes. At least in CA, in order to carry (we don't have open carry for loaded weapons, just concealed) one has to go through training, fingerprinting, a background check, so presumably they aren't handing carry permits out to every Joe Schmo that wants one. It varies county by county so in some places it is easier to get the permit than others.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Default I got mine...

this spring. I still have not found the perfect gun for me.
    This fall and winter that is my project. My instructor said you had better be as comfortable and familiar with it as slippers, Because in a life or death situation your reactions are never as good as when you practice. I> am going to the range 3 to 4 days a week.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Default In TX it is a CHL

I have mine, too. I actually learned alot from taking the class.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    this spring. I still have not found the perfect gun for me.
    This fall and winter that is my project. My instructor said you had better be as comfortable and familiar with it as slippers, Because in a life or death situation your reactions are never as good as when you practice. I> am going to the range 3 to 4 days a week.
    Try to get your hands on a Springfield xDm 9mm. My wife loves mine, it turned into her nightstand gun. Mine is a 1911 in .45 ACP.

Ditto for me. I teach at a university, in the humanities, but I also live in the middle of nowhere and drive 10+ hours to events by myself, then stay in my trailer alone, too. I made sure I could pass the CHL test before carrying a gun (and I practice once a month or so). It's a responsibility. But it's also something I think is smart to do, given my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    I've had mine for six years, I guess, although in TN, it's a carry permit (not concealed). I sometimes carry when I ride. I keep my handgun in my LQ with me camping, since I am alone. I carry when I do certain aspects of my work that involve being alone with persons I don't know well. I don't see why it would be a negative in any way. I hope that all of my carrying is pointless, but I certainly don't want to wish that I had been carrying when I wasn't.

Oh, and I'm a left leaning mostly democrat, just to keep things confusing.
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by kch7238 View Post
    I have mine, too. I actually learned alot from taking the class.
    Can't wait to get mine!
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Ladies, for those of you with concealed carry, what kind of holster do you use? I'm at a loss. I rarely wear a belt, a lot of my slacks don't even have belt loops. I like to wear dresses.

I find a thigh holster under a dress awkward - especially if it's a maxi dress - not gonna be easy to get to that gun quickly!

Bra holster - not gonna work with my glock.

Am I going to just have to knuckle down and start buying clothes with belt loops and wear a belt? Blah.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Ladies, for those of you with concealed carry, what kind of holster do you use? I'm at a loss. I rarely wear a belt, a lot of my slacks don't even have belt loops. I like to wear dresses.

I find a thigh holster under a dress awkward - especially if it's a maxi dress - not gonna be easy to get to that gun quickly!

Bra holster - not gonna work with my glock.

Am I going to just have to knuckle down and start buying clothes with belt loops and wear a belt? Blah.

YOu can buy purses that are designed for concealed carry, most have a sidepocket with a built in holster. Hubby bought me a gorgous leather purse last year for Christmas like that.

I also have a sticky pocket holster, http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeSantis-Nem...item43b4b8721c

I can use this one either in my jeans pocket or the cargo pocket on my shorts or I can use it to tuck my gun inside a regular purse.

My regular carry gun is a Sig P238 .380. Very small and compact and easy to carry. Love this gun!!!
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

I really hate living in NJ sometimes. I am interested in taking some courses and getting more familiar with handling weapons.

Ali, come on up to CT, my husband's cousin has a gun shop and teaches classes there :-)
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Quote Originally Posted by LoriO View Post
    Ali, come on up to CT, my husband's cousin has a gun shop and teaches classes there :-)
    I wish. I have some special provisions as a business owner, but it would be really nice if I could carry it outside the store too.

REALLY need to get my CCW now. Seriously thinking about going and buying a shotgun ASAP as I don't need any paperwork for it.

I have wondered about holsters, though. I don't like wearing belts, can't see thigh being practical...I vaguely remember small of the back rigs? Also I know they do make purses with side pockets for firing concealed?

At least I don't live in MA any more..you need a card just to buy pepper spray.