The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Just stood in line for almost 5 hours to vote!

Wow. I thought voter turnout in 2008 was big, but in my area it was CRAZY huge! Got to the polling place around 11:40, left about 4:30. Thank goodness I was standing by some very friendly people and actually had a good time (despite the boling sun and sore feet!). But, hey, I am just glad I live in a country where I *can* vote, without having my life threatened, etc.

Sadly, some people were turning away because of the long lines. Don't get me wrong, I am SERIOUSLY considering early voting next time, but it is our resposibility as citizens, even if it presents some slight inconvenience.

So, get out there and ROCK THE VOTE!

11 members found this post helpful.

I waited 4 hours to vote early on Saturday! My friends called it crazy, I called it dedication!
    Handmade Cotton Fabric Dog Collars
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/DesignsByJinx

5 members found this post helpful.

Wow, good on ya for staying!

Yesterday there was an article in The Atlantic about that issue:
    No One in America Should Have to Wait 7 Hours to Vote
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Mailed my early ballot a week or so ago! I've always gone in to vote before, and it was really nice to do it at home and not have to wait in any lines

Only sad part was that I didn't get my "I voted" sticker

3 members found this post helpful.

Thumbs up

Congratulations to both of you. I'm glad you stuck it out. I think I had 2 people in front of me but I'm in a rural district. They had 2 sections voting in the same location and there were maybe 10-15 people all together some had finished and were just standing around.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Congrats to all who wait today .... I voted by mail (no choice - the county says my precinct is too small to warrant its own location.) I missed doing it in person at first, but now I find it pleasant to fill my ballot out at leisure.

We do get a "I voted" sticker along with our mail-in ballots here.

This is the first election year I've noticed a ballot drop-off spot in a drive-thru parking lot at a busy intersection. It has been there both on weekends and during the week.

I got up early to get there at 6:30am to stand in line, said screw it, when back to bed. Got up at 7:30am was at the precinct by 8am and walked right in, no line, open ID checker and went right up to a cubby to do my voting thang! I asked where everyone was, as I expected to stand in line, I even brought a book and chair. But I had just missed the morning rush to vote before work.

Thank you all who are standing in line for hours to vote. Especially if you are in a swing state.

2 members found this post helpful.

Good for you, frizzle.

My kid is 17, turning 18, and we are leading up to a provincial election here within the next 8 months, so she will have her first opportunity to make her mark...I'm actually excited for her, we are all lucky to live in countries where we have the opportunity (whether we like the final results, or not), to have our voices heard.

Thank goodness for mail in ballots!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Wow. I thought voter turnout in 2008 was big, but in my area it was CRAZY huge! Got to the polling place around 11:40, left about 4:30. Thank goodness I was standing by some very friendly people and actually had a good time (despite the boling sun and sore feet!). But, hey, I am just glad I live in a country where I *can* vote, without having my life threatened, etc.

Sadly, some people were turning away because of the long lines. Don't get me wrong, I am SERIOUSLY considering early voting next time, but it is our resposibility as citizens, even if it presents some slight inconvenience.

So, get out there and ROCK THE VOTE!

Wow, that is dedication on your part. I live rural and there was one person ahead of me. Showed my ID, got my card and voted. It probably took 4 minutes total.

Only about 30 minutes here. But that's LONG for here. But of course, it's a presidential election, which brings out all the DEADBEAT voters who can't be bothered voting other times for local candidates that actually have MORE impact on their lives. Go figure.

Heading out now to the drop box. Could have mailed it but wanted to fit in reading all the referenda and such, and just barely caught up over the weekend. Hope the line to drop off isn't bad.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Good for you for waiting! I am lucky at the moment to be unemployed (I guess) and was able to vote mid-day, with only the blue-haired. No wait at all. (:

Quote Originally Posted by mercedespony View Post
    Good for you, frizzle.

My kid is 17, turning 18, and we are leading up to a provincial election here within the next 8 months, so she will have her first opportunity to make her mark...I'm actually excited for her, we are all lucky to live in countries where we have the opportunity (whether we like the final results, or not), to have our voices heard.
    but... it's always been in and out in less than 5 minutes!! I cannot even picture/imagine line ups like that AND in the US, there seems to be many advance voting options PLUS voting by mail. Our advance polls are few and only at certain spots and on specified dates.

Good for you to wait so long!

Hats off to you, Frizzle. That's impressive!

Living in the boondocks, there were just a few people in front of me, but it was very cool to be able to let the 11yo DD assist me with choices!
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Only about 30 minutes here. But that's LONG for here. But of course, it's a presidential election, which brings out all the DEADBEAT voters who can't be bothered voting other times for local candidates that actually have MORE impact on their lives. Go figure.
    No the DEADBEATS are those that don't vote at all and then complain about what the government does or doesn't do. "Don't vote, don''t b*itch." At least they are voting at all. Who are you to say that because they vote only every 4 years instead of every 2 they are a DEADBEAT. At least they are voting and participating in the democratic process even it it is only part of the time. Better than nothing.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

6 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I live in BFE and took the kids before school to vote with me. At 7 am it was just me and the oilfield guys. My dad, in NOVA, had 400 people ahead of him at 6:30 am.

Good on everybody who waited to cast their ballot!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

1 members found this post helpful.

I had to wait 1 hour and 15 minutes, and as a last little insult it started sprinkling right as I went into the building. Usually, it's about 5 minutes including parking the car. I find it great that there was a huge turnout, and it almost makes up for all of my candidates losing, but at least I participated.

And no matter who wins here or late in Canada, and a lot of other countries, when the winner is sworn in there will be ceremonies and parties, and no tanks advancing on the losers, or riots, or anything but some big parties and parades.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I hate that Washington no longer has "polling places"--we vote by mail in all elections here. I miss going in to do my civic duty and getting my sticker and seeing the nice precinct ladies. On the other hand...I voted at my kitchen table with a cup of coffee, and mailed my ballot in last week. We can still drop our ballots off on election day, though. I'm proud of you folks who wait for hours..not sure I could do that!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Standing up clapping for you, Frizzle! Whooo hoo! What a GOOD problem to have!

I mailed in my ballot, but I get to see it in action as our staff lunchroom is always a polling place. It was busy ALL day long! People CARE!!