The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Beige dressage coat?

I was wondering - does anyone know if beige dressage coats are allowed? Ive been struggling looking at the HSV color wheel or whatever its called and am no nearer a conclusion lol I found my perfect jacket... a lovely more conservative style animo with a hidden zip etc etc but the only one left in my size is a light brown beige color.... my dutchwarmblood is a bay so i think it could look quite nice and will be a better color for summer than traditional black but I just cant work out if its legal.... any ideas? Thanks!

I thoght colored dressage frocks were all the new rage?

Technically, no. The HSV scale says that it has to be dark- but can be of any base color. Here's an explanation: http://terrimiller.wordpress.com/201...jacket-colors/

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks that's a good explanation - jacket is kind of latte colored more than beige really hmm but I expect that's still not dark enough... I cant risk $700 on a possibly unwearable coat lol

Although I am clearly not of the level of Edward Gal he seems to get away with a light coat http://www.cavalcadeblog.com/2012/04...age-arena.html

This is the color I was thinking..... http://equi-products.com/feature-spe...w-jacket.html#

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Maybe you should pass...and not because of the color. If the model has to jut out her chest and butt to make it look like it fits...it makes me wonder how it looks hanging on the rider when they're riding!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Those lighter colors you see have to have the saturation or required % of black in the color and those riders have cards from the manufactuerer w/ verification as to the % of black in the fabric dye.....and this was directly from the FEI TD

I've always found it strange that an equestrian art that is supposed to be about training has such a dress code. The powers that be have never cared about helmets (I think I read it's finally coming) but God forbid your coat or breeches are the wrong color!

2 members found this post helpful.

wow that's crazy re the % of black in the dye... I just thought it would be cooler on hot days... guess it will be back to looking for something with schoeller fabric... ha ha you are quite right velvet I don't have the smallest butt or chest so this is most probably true for me....

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Maybe you should pass...and not because of the color. If the model has to jut out her chest and butt to make it look like it fits...it makes me wonder how it looks hanging on the rider when they're riding!
    Just addressing this point made by Velvet....

The Animo coats are absolutely gorgeous and by far the most flattering coats I've ever seen on a woman's figure (well, at least if you have a less-than-model-esque body like me ). I have 2 Animo coats and a whole bunch of other (mostly Grand Prix) coats and I can't stand wearing anything but the Animo coats anymore.

Regarding the color, I'm not sure I would be brave enough to go for an off color when colors are important (I show in the jumpers, so color doesn't matter generally speaking), but I couldn't give a higher recommendation to the Animo coats as far as comfort and fit go.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    I've always found it strange that an equestrian art that is supposed to be about training has such a dress code. The powers that be have never cared about helmets (I think I read it's finally coming) but God forbid your coat or breeches are the wrong color!
    However, what you wear should be the great equalizer. It should be uniform across the board so that what you wear isn't the focus and the training becomes the focus.

I fear that this will become a contest of rhinestones and sequins. Look what has happened in western classes! Too many times it's about the amount of bling and not the performance!

I don't know why there seem to be so many who want to flash it up! It's not about how pretty you are, it's about how effective you are.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

PNWJumper, maybe they're good for jumping, but for dressage? I saw one in a store and thought it looked cheaply made and unstructured--for the price they were asking. I know in dressage we're looking for more comfortable jackets. I'm all for it, but at nearly 700 dollars? And looking this loose? Maybe it's just me, but I'm not feeling like it's a step forward in technology and price.

I was only partially joking on the way fit appears. Honestly, what is up with that model sitting like that? It really makes me think they were trying to make the jacket look more tailored and less rumply on her thin body. Just weird.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

They all seem pretty expensive in the new fabrics to be honest - the GPA versions are all around that price too and the Equiline one.... Ive also been looking at the Kingsland technical jacket and the Ariat Triumph and Crowne pro which are slightly cheaper but I do really want the hidden zipper enclosure as I have been blessed with too large um, boobs for my waist so I can have button gaping up there if I'm not careful.... so that leaves me with Animo, Ariat Crowne Pro (which Im worried is too short) and a couple of GPA coats which I also worry are too short... its just too hot here in summer for another year in wool even blended with cool max!

ps I dont want rhinestones and sequins just something cool and comfy that fits properly.... sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    AHAHAHA! Yes, she is rather oddly staged!
    I wouldn't buy the jacket based solely on not being able to see how it looks.
    I am NOT a fan of the possibility of a sequin/rhinestone war, but it DOES seem a bit extreme to have a set percentage of black dye in a fabric...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickelodian View Post
    We jump horses. Over sticks. For fun.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyway.
    Regulus RDL

I thought that the USEF rules still stated a conservative colored short jacket at 4th level and below as we'll as the FEI HSV color scale

This jacket was worn and won at Region 8 GAIGs (scroll through pics to the second to last one)

http://www.chronofhorse.com/photos_v...ge=0&nid=38794

See, now here's the odd thing: USEF adopted those color rules involving the HSV scale in order to mirror the FEI's rules about the same. The FEI, I believe, has since dropped mention of the HSV color scale in their rules because it was impossible to enforce. I don't know where that leaves us ... but there ya go.

Personally, I love the look of the beige!

Thanks everyone - I emailed USEF and sent them a link to the coat so I will see if they say anything helpful! The one at the Region 8 GAIGs is similar to the one I want!

Quote Originally Posted by High Ho Silver View Post
    This is the color I was thinking..... http://equi-products.com/feature-spe...w-jacket.html#
    Well if you're actually buying through Equi Products, give them a call & ask about fit of the coat & FEI guidelines (they do sponser a couple of dressage riders & are a small company - they may even be able to send you additonal photos).

My friend who is a high level dressage judge pointed me to this rule re helmets "Unless jackets are waived, while in the
    competition ring, exhibitors wearing protective headgear must wear a short, dark jacket...."
    So I guess its got to be dark after all but I will report back what USEF say when they reply for all those who are interested....