The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dogs That Dart Out and Dive at Cars

I have one who has moved in along my regular driving route the last month or so. Said dog's place is still in the country, so I'm talking about a 55mph limit country highway.

This dog lies at the edge of his yard looking innocent like many other dogs in the country do. But just as you drive by, he abruptly comes to life, bounds up, and launches himself at the car, barking, diving, obviously having a grand old time.

My fear, of course, is that he's going to misjudge things one day or slip or something. I've tried slowing down, but the slower you go, the more daring he gets with the tires, and he starts actually coming in front of the car instead of just nipping at the sides. The longer the car is in front of "his" place, the more he amps up. The shortest time of danger for him seems to be for me to not change speed, just ignore him, hold absolutely straight, and be by as quickly as possible. But every time, I'm looking in the rearview mirror afterwards or just waiting for that crunch. I've known a few distance car chasers, but this one cuts the margin of safety very fine.

Clearly it's a game to him, but it's a more dangerous game than he knows. What do you all do when driving by such dogs? Slow down, just keep steady on, what?

I suggest blowing your horn. It probably won't deter the dog at all, but will annoy the heck of his owners. Start before you get to the dog and don't stop until you are past. Ask me how I came up with this solution
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

2 members found this post helpful.

god, I HATE those dogs. There's one car chaser that I pass every day, and no matter how much I tell myself that 1) he's been chasing cars for years and never actually gets hit, and 2) if I do hit him it's not my fault, it's still really stressful. And while I know to expect him, I've seen other drivers swerve big. One of these days a driver could lose control.
    I just keep going the same speed--I figure that being predictable gives him the best chance to stay out of the way. But I like the idea of just laying on the horn.

That is going to be a dead dog sooner than later. I hope it doesn't end up you who hits it, through NO fault of your own.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I'd complain to animal control if possible, and possibly the police. The dog could seriously cause an accident with two cars, never mind just an accident with the dog.
    There's a dog like that on the road i take to the next town over. Thankfully he only does it to the mailman but he goes absolutely apesh**.
    That dog is a danger to all sorts of people every day. I hate that.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Growing up, that dog was ours We could not keep her contained inside anything or tied to anything...the dog was houdini and an addicted car chaser!

If she saw any of our cars she'd dart around the neighbors property and be laying at the back door like she'd been there the entire time instead of lying in the ditch waiting for the next car she could race/eat..we were never sure what she was going for!
    She was hit by many cars, I swear that girl was made of titanium...but she ended up living until 14 and died of a stroke!

I'm sorry you've got this dog on your route...I imagine how stressful it is having to drive by it everyday!
    I do feel for you

I like the horn suggestion.
    You could try throwing trash out the window too- it will probably distract the dog from your car, and will also irritate the irresponsible dog owners tremendously.

My sister's young Black and Tan (stupid dog too) did this ALL.OF.THE.TIME. She stopped doing it to me because I would carry decent sized rocks in my car and everytime she would start her chase or come near I would peg them at her as hard as I could. The worked for me and she stopped after 3 real good hits.

Sadly, she chased others and was hit by my sister's husband.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

the problem being is if its not run over, someone will swerve and hit something else while trying to avoid it, and the fact the dog has done this alot makes it a liability.

I always stop when I encounter a car chaser. Slow way down, and I've even gotten out and stood up and scolded the dog. It ruins the game, they'll stop if it they recognize your car. I used to deliver papers by car and spoiled it for several dogs. By all means, tell the owners and all that but when I see a car chasing dog and am able to stop, I stop and scold.

Report it to animal control for the county. And possibly the police/sheriff. That's an accident looking for a place to happen.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

I've only known one car chaser. I would have my two dogs in the back seat and every time I we went past (I had to go past this property to get to my horses from home so I could go back and forth up to four times a day) it would race along the road jumping up and barking at them. One day I did not even have my dogs with me and it ran out. I slowed right down and it ran in front of me, something it had never done before. I clipped it as it did so. Then the dog jumped up, ran to its 14 year old boy owner who happened to be waiting for the school bus, lay down at his feet and died. Oh good grief, how terrible did I feel Kicker is if I'd not slowed down it probably (maybe?) would not have run in front of me.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

I also had the pleasure of hitting one of these dogs - it popped out of a bean field and ran in front of my back tire, so I had no chance to avoid it. I stopped and waited while it died in its 12 yr old owner's arms.

I used to slam the truck in park, leap out of the truck, and take off at a run after car chasers. It always startled my passengers when I did this. But it worked - the neighborhood loose dogs learned my truck and didn't chase me.

I gave it up though when I grew enough of a brain to realize there's no reason to put myself and my vehicle at risk to train other people's dogs for them.

I hope you're not the one to take the dog out.