The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A Cure for Colic???

http://www.horsecolichelp.com/Home_Page.php

At $75/bottle, it looks more like snake oil to me!

A tube of Gastroguard will work just as well.

The word "cure" should immediately ring alarm bells. There is no singular cure for colic, just like there's no singular cure for cancer. But if they have the stuff listed at $75, that must mean they have at least a few buyers. Out of which number there are probably many "believers". We are not very fond of looking foolish, and to have spent $75 on such nonsense would almost certainly add a heavy dose of "wishful thinking" to any observations made.
    Click here before you buy.

Colic is a symptom, not a disease, so I'm not sure how its possible to "cure" it. How do they plan to prevent colic from a pedunculating lipoma? Or epiploic entrapment? Or foreign-body induced perforation?

1 members found this post helpful.

The problem w/ stuff like that is you give it to your horse; horse might get some relief from it but that relief might be only temporary BUT long enough for you to think - oh he looks like he'll be okay thank goodness for this stuff, and low and behold a an or so after you've left him horse could take a turn for the worse - it can and does happen. As this was just the case for me 2 weeks ago.. horse colic, vet comes tubes general stuff, he's okay and back to grazing and happy for awhile; well about 2 hours later back to discomfort, wanting to roll, etc.. needless to say at that point we were on way to equine hospital where he underwent surgery. My horse had a rupture umbilical hernia (he's 13 and the vets had never seen this scenario before) No bottle of meds was going to help my horse - surgical intervention did. So while this is marketed as a cure or remedy, nothing helps colic more than a vigilent eye and a cell phone!