The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 4 year old Appy Mare

Not really sure where to put this, so I put it here. I've been looking for something to play with over the winter...nothing serious, just something to keep me riding and help fight off the winter blues.

Well, here she is...a free lease with an open ended contract..meaning I can keep her as long as I want or send her back tomorrow.

4 year old, green broke, with a kind eye and very much a people horse. Shorter than what I am used to, but built like a tank.

Have a look and let me know, will she make a fun little low level hunter/field hunter/eventer?

thanks!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8203/8...72b85604fc.jpg
    IMG_2298 by laurentian92, on Flickr

Honestly- and I am not an expert at all, so take this with a grain of salt- I don't really love her. Kind eye, cute face for sure. But I see a pretty short neck, kind of goes into her chest weird (not sure how else to explain it..something weird about her shoulder maybe?), she's a little low on her front pasterns, and her croup is pretty steep.

I think it depends on how much you want to do with her...if you just want to have fun with her and do some local stuff, why not? Sounds like she's a free (ish) no strings attached mare, if she doesn't work you can return her. If you want to be competitive, though, I'd want to see her move before I really commented on that. Right off the bat, I wouldn't think she'd be a great mover, BUT a standstill shot doesn't always mean everything. I have seen some truly fugly horses that once they got undersaddle, were like a different horse.

Good luck!

ETA: Not trying to be overly critical! Just re-read that and I kind of sounded rude...lol. Trying to hone my own eye as well as give my opinion on her....just wanted to share anything I noticed

1 members found this post helpful.

Talk, I rode her, and actually, she does have quite a good step on her...I was expecting her to be somewhat choppy/short strided, but I was surprised. She moves clean and straight, and tracks up quite nicely. I do agree with you, her shoulder is MASSIVE and I thought for sure she would be very heavy on the forehand, but in actuality, she isn't. I'm not looking to go to Upperville or the Royal, I just want something to have fun on. I guess what I really meant to ask, was would those possible careers be detrimental to her..meaning, conformation wise, would she stand up to it?

Gotcha

I think she'll look better when she gets some topline development and has less bellyfat. And if she learns to carry her head better that should help with the very slight ewe necked tendency. Glad she was fun to ride and she should be a good project to bring along as a low level all arounder type - my favorite kind of ride!
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Free, open-ended lease? As long as she's not dangerous I think it's a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallycairn View Post
    I think she'll look better when she gets some topline development and has less bellyfat.

Rally this is what I was thinking too, when I first looked at her..When I transitioned my old boy from racing pacer to a hunter, I used a series of gymnastics to help reshape his topline...and I think the same sort of regiment will do her good, too. And she is very fat...she basically does nothing but eat all day AND she's been getting 4 cups of sweet feed morning and night O.o

I'm going out to ride her again, this time in an outside ring, so I'll have a better feel for all three of her gaits. I'll tack her up and get a few pics of her working under saddle..

I have an Appy mare that has some "conformational challenges" (okay she is a downhill chunk). When I got her, she was somewhat out of shape...like couldn't canter. I bought her because of her sweet disposition, kind eye and precious face and she is just a ball to ride. She will go anywhere and do anything. Just a fun girl. Also, she is turning out to be a cute little dressage horse - this last weekend we were doing walk pirouettes to canter departs which she just loved. And she can really lengthen in the trot. So have a blast with her...you just never know. It is all about the fun!

I think she's cute ! Sure, she has some conf issues but nothing glaringly horrible. I wouldn't worry too much about the neck at this point, she's only 4 so she very likely will fill out a bit more. Bet a lot of long & low trotting would do wonders for her topline too (ie, head level, back up, and reaching up from behind - taking bigger strides, not faster ones).

How tall is she ?

I'd love to see her pic again in 6 months or so when you've been working with her. Bet her neck and topline will look a lot different.

Have fun with her, appys can be a challenge if they have that big appytude and decide they'd rather not do something, but every one I've had will work their butt off for me once I've earned their respect.

:-)

Roxy, she stands about 15.2 hh, and we figure she will maybe grow a wee bit more. Most of the horses from her bloodlines continue growing until they are 7 or so. My SIL owns a half brother to her, and he stands around 16hh. Although her breeding is the old fashioned stock type, surprisingly a lot of her sires get go on to do quite well in English disciplines. Either way, I figure for a free lease that I can terminate whenever I want, she should be fun to play around with. And, who knows, she just might turn out to be something special.

What's her breeding ?

My appy mare grew about 1 1/2 inches between 4 and 6, so maybe she'll get a little bigger for you. She looks like she's a very solid 15.2 and would take up your leg, so she'll look bigger than she is when you're on her.

Just general comments since I am no confo pro... but she isn't abad height and as far as no strings attached projects go doesn't sound like a bad deal! Her neck seems a bit short for a hunter but I know you are looking for a low level project so if she is a nice mover you should be okay. I'd also like to see her pop over an X or two first to see her style o/f, just to make sure she doesn't dangle her knees or jump like a deer I know many Apps that have a great jump, though!

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    Free, open-ended lease? As long as she's not dangerous I think it's a great deal.
    THIS! And years ago we believed almost any serviceably sound horse should be able to carry someone competently at 3' with a reasonable amount of training. To event Novice or even Training in a few years she should be fine. It's only when the "questions" become true athletic challenges and the times are fast that you need to worry that much about conformation--and even then some surprisingly imperfect beasts make it look easy. Enjoy her!

Roxy, she's by Justice Prevails (Cowboy JusticexRWR My Sugar Pine) out of Lucky Jade (Can Am JetterxJust For Luck)

I've decided to take her, I mean, really, what is there to lose?? She comes on December first. I haven't owned my own horse since 2007, so I'm looking forward to going out and working with her every day, whether it's just ground work, grooming, or under saddle work. I think that's what has me excited the most! I ride regularly and have lessons every week, but it still isn't the same as owning your own.

I'll post more pics when she comes.

Thanks all for the encouraging comments!

She's cute. Congrats. The only thing I'd say is I wouldn't jump her to high. I wouldn't go over 2'6 with her just because of her age and build she will be more prone to navicular issues and jumping in general will put more strain in that area but jumping higher is really hard on this type of build. I think you should have fun and ride and go from there.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

She's a chunk-a-loosa like her granddaddy LOL.

My mare's daddy is King Goer, out of a TB mare. So a halter horse crossed with a racehorse. I tell everyone that's she really really stubborn (appy half) and never gets tired (TB half). But she's a fun horse to ride and very, very brave going cross country over jumps - braver than I am actually . I've owned her since she was 2, she's 18 now, still full of herself and tries her heart out for me.

Have fun with her !