The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Would anyone in WI be interested in an Eventing Derby?

So we don't have a ton of land, but have a few different jump fields, jumper field and hunter field, and are puting in some BN, N, and T level XC jumps. Also have a grass dressage arena. All are in different areas, but can be hacked to easily to each other down bridle paths and through other areas.

We were toying with the idea of puting on some Eventer Derby type shows. Is this anything anyone in the WI, more NE WI are would be interested in?

Yes, but in case you weren't aware, there are already a few eventer derby type events in our (general) area. The biggest is Barrington, and then I know Cathy Forsberg-Jones is also holding one (this weekend actually) at her farm in IL, as well as a few other eventer derby schooling-type events that other smaller farms hold. There's definitely a market for it, but you might want to contact some other farms who have started doing them first to maybe get some advice and see how much interest they've gotten before pouring a lot of money into it. Not sure if you've held events like this before, but even putting on a well organized schooling show can be a huge commitment (both financially and time-wise). Where are you located exactly?

We switched last year from hosting a schooling show
    horse trial to an eventing derby. We have been offering
    low-level eventing competition since the mid-1990s in
    western Wisconsin. Our eventing derby brought out
    folks from places as far away as central Wisconsin who
    said there is a real lack of opportunities to compete in
    the area near to them. We also had riders from other
    disciplines who found the format suitable for "giving this
    a try". I do agree with JSjumper that it is a very large
    time commitment to host a competition (why we only
    do one a year), but it does get a bit easier each year as
    you develop good strategies.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Me!!!! I didn't get to a lot if shows thus summer due to work, injuries, horse injuries, etc but next summer my crew and I will be out! We are doing 2' starter novice-Training. We are trying to find some fun venues to practice at. 4 of us are newer to eventing and 2 are seasoned eventers. We're all hoping to try a derby or two next spring/summer!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

As a side note something we have all discussed is that we wish there were more venues offering multiple shows on one weekend! We drive 4-6 hours for almost all shows we go to. Most are 1 day schooling shows. I would LOVE to drive in on a Friday night and go to a mini event or derby on Saturday. Then stay Saturday night and have a hunter/jumper show or eventing clinic to go to! It would become our top selection in picking an event to get 2 shows or a show/lesson in one swoop! Taking off work (I work weekends) is hard so I can only pick a few weekends a summer to be gone. I'd love to get more showing and/or learning opportunities in one trip out. Especially with the price of gas! At our last mini event my friend got a migraine and couldn't compete that morning. Needless to say she had to scratch, lost show fees, gas and hotel money. Would have been awesome if there was something for her to do the next day to make it worthwhile. Just a suggestion for you Wisconsin/Northern Illinois show hosters! :-D
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

I've never done an eventing derby and although they certainly sound appealing I would probably not drive farther than an hour to go to one--I'd take a regular HT any time, and if I have no HT to go to and happen to have a free weekend to go to a show, I'd probably do a dressage show since that's where I need the most work!

Click here before you buy.

Yes!!!!!!

We just did the Barrington event derby last weekend. I think they did an awesome job of keeping it simple and low key for everyone, even management.

Perhaps keeping it fairly simple to start would be a good way to test the waters.

I am up near Green Bay WI. So the closest event to us is 3hrs away. In the 90s we had a mini event in the area, but nothing since then, so there isn't much for eventers up in our area to be able to do unless it is a H/J show, which even those are few. So that is why we were thinking about hosting one. Maybe a derby on Sat, and a H/J schooling show or just jumper schooling show on Sun.

That would be awesome! We're by GB too so we'd have at least 6 in for sure! Especially a 2 day event! Fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
    Yes!!!!!!

We just did the Barrington event derby last weekend. I think they did an awesome job of keeping it simple and low key for everyone, even management.

Perhaps keeping it fairly simple to start would be a good way to test the waters.
    I live right by Barrington and have NEVER heard of this. How do people find out about it?

Yes!

I live near Wausau and there is NOTHING around here that involves jumping of any kind. We have a few Dressage schooling shows, but otherwise the equestrian population consists of WP show horses or yahoo trail riders.

I attended Robin's Eventing Derby for the first time this year, and I've schooled at Otter Creek (2.5 hours away). Anything in far SE WI is pretty much out of the question - Silverwood is about 4.5 hours away and I don't consider anything in IL to be "in the area" at all.

OTTBs, this was the first year they ran the event derby. I think the organizers were trying to keep it small as a bit of a "test run". The trick is how to keep it fun and low key without getting too huge and defeating the purpose they were trying to achieve. Hopefully they will want to do more.

[QUOTE=Couture TB;6629350]I am up near Green Bay WI. So the closest event to us is 3hrs away. In the 90s we had a mini event in the area, QUOTE]

I remember competing at Greenfields HT back in the 90s -- both I and my horse ended up slipping in the mud in the woods and going down. I torpedoed a tree with my helmet (!) after sliding through the mud on my back, but was able to jump up and yell 'loose horse'.

Pony decided to run past the barn and the other horses, and onto the main road, apparently going to Green Bay for help!

All ended well for us, no permanent damage. I left the helmet for the barn owner/trainer to show her kids... "here is the crack in the shell of the helmet, and *this* is why you wear a helmet"
    Inese

We are not anywhere near WI , but our farm hosted 3 Eventing Derbys this summer and everyone had a blast. The riders loved them. We kept them simple and low key for newer "english" riders and riders on young horses. All three were successful. We will probably do 4 next year.

The Wayne Eventing Derby in April has been a great way to kick off the middlewestern season.

Default please post if you do the derby

I am involved in Pony Club in northwestern Wisconsin and we would love to know about your event.

Thanks,
    PKN

Not in WI, but there are at least a few of us from the barn I'm at that would go. We're in the northern U.P. & there is not much of anything close.
    Heck I've been looking for clinics/schooling events to go to forever & there's never anything close by(under 5 hrs).
    Please keep us posted on your plans

I do a bunch every year--my advice would be to start simple. I offer Green as Grass through Prelim, but started with GAG through Novice. My format is a dressage test & then a jumping test; they do about 1/2 SJ's and 1/2 XC jumps. I found measuring 6 courses & needing a timer was more of a pain than doing the dressage test (which I already have a judge for) so that's the way I set it up.

Mine are offered in conjunction with combined tests, and a lot of the time people will do a CT & a derby. People seem to enjoy them--I have full classes every time!

Another Yooper here who would be interested!
    I'm more of a dressage person, but know a few kids who would love this sort of thing.
    Please let me know if this thing happens!