The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Read Denny Emersons book, How good riders get good!
    And ride as many different horses as you can. Keep up the good work!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

My parents only pay for Pony Club, and I pay for the rest. So it will be harder, but I want to prove to them I can pay for a horse.
    My school won't be affected, i'm homeschooled, so I just do extra the next day.
    L.O.V.E Desi. ♥
    ~When In Doubt Half-Halt~
    3 Phases, 2 Hearts, and 1 Goal~ Eventing

Some background that may help you understand these responses.

In a sport like gymnastics or figure skating, the window to get to the Olympics is pretty tight. You have the years between 16-22 to get to the elite level and then that's that. In a sport like riding, you're competing against athletes ranging from 18-55+, which means that the top people stay on top much longer and gain amazing experience.

Thus, the goal of the Olympics is very difficult and not really anything you can control. There are great riders who have never been selected, who never had the right horse and the right luck in the right year to make an Olympic team, even if they were very successful at the elite level.

Nearly every professional you encounter or train with has had these Olympic dreams... and most likely had them dashed. Thus, when young riders come along with hardly any experience in the discipline and proclaim their Olympic goal... it doesn't perhaps come across as that of a realistic kid who wants to work hard, the way the youth thinks of it, but instead as someone thinking about the glory of an Olympic berth. And remember... you're unconsciously and inadvertently saying you're going to be better than them.

So perhaps the O word is better left for the times when you're riding at the FEI levels and possibly meeting the long list criteria.

In eventing, a stated goal that perhaps might be a bit more door-opening would be to say, "Someday, I want to ride at Rolex."

The advantages are:
    - You appear more knowledgeable off the bat, because while everyone knows the Olympics, you have to know something about eventing to have Rolex (or Badminton) as a goal.
    - It's a relatively achievable goal with hard work and long skill development, because 30-50 riders can do it every year. You'll still need a ton of money and the right horse and to work your heart out developing skills.. but you don't need the luck of a particular year or to be one of the top 5 in the eyes of the selectors.
    - It's a stepping stone to the Olympics anyway.

You can use the Olympics with your relatives and your non-horse acquaintances, of course!
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

2 members found this post helpful.