The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    When we had a rendering company in my area that would pick up horses this was the case, too. Certainly not something they advertised but something they did, no charge.

A friend had their horse put down this way. It went smoothly.
    Our local protein company charges $35 to pick up a cow and $70 for a horse and the guy carries a .22 pistol and is great. I have never seen him have to take a second shot. If you want to drop your horse off at their plant, it is only $40.

This is a far better end than a couple of the chemical euths I have seen go bad.

The company doesn't need to advertise because everybody knows they do it
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

So here's an update on this situation.

This horse has not yet been euth'd.

I was talking to the BO last weekend and she said that there may be a problem using her 'service' because of the new law that does not allow you to transport horses for slaughter and she needs to look into it more. I told her that it shouldn't matter as the horse will be gone when she's transported. I got a very blank look then I realized what she was saying.

This horse is not going to be euth'd by bullet at the farm where she has lived for last part of her very long life.

She is going to be picked up and trailered elsewhere.

It may be up to a month before there is a need for her to be rendered for meat.

Imagine my horror when I learned this. The only thing I said was 'How do you know this guy isn't going to turn her around and run her through New Holland?' and she just shrugged her shoulders. I dropped it there as it is still not my business.

But I am really sick to my stomach over this. This puts things in a entirely different light now.

So I guess she's not feeling the love so much anymore? Sounds like she just wants that last 15 cents a pound or whatever she's going to get. You're right to be sick to your stomach over this.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Are you in the US? There is no law in the US that prohibits shipping to slaughter except in California and I think NJ but neither is being even remotely enforced. That said, woman sounds heartless to me now based upon your further information.

Laurierace, we are in NJ so yes this law would apply.

I sure hope it's enough of a fly in the ointment to stop this from happening.

Rendering is not slaughter though so I don't think the law would apply.

Alter, I'm in central NJ as well. I sent you a PM.

My personal feelings are that I would not want to put my horse through the stress of being moved and possibly kept somewhere unfamiliar while he is alive. As far as what is done with the body once the horse has been put down.....I can understand why some people would want to put it to use.......

I think it is kinder to put horses down in their own, familiar environment.....but again, those are just my personal thoughts.

As far as method of euthanization goes.....I have heard some horror stories about lethal injection as well. I'm sure there are bad experiences either way. You run that risk any time you decide to take a life. I think the reason so many people get freaked out over the idea of a gun is that we humans associate guns with physical attack/violence and fear. I think it is important to remember that horses don't have that association with them.

OP, I think you need to do some research on rendering because what you are saying doesn't add up. They aren't rendered for meat and chemically euthanized animals can be rendered. I think she is telling you what you want to hear unfortunately.

1 members found this post helpful.

So the BO is going to give this horse to some guy, who will drive off with it, and then do . . . what? Yes at this point I'd be upset. Not so much with euth by gunshot but by the idea that she isn't taking care of having it euth'ed at all.

No transport for slaughter, I think that's the rule when shipping to Canada. So they just lie.

Your BO does not seem like a nice person.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

The legit renderer in my old area (PA) would come to your farm and put your horse down (with a bullet) or haul them to his farm and do it. He was human and kind. Some people (owners) really can't bear euthanizing their horse. I don't agree with it, but if the renderer is legit, it may not be as bad as you think.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I remember years ago another boarder at the barn had a horse that had a growth on her face. The horse was being donated to the hounds of the hunt that the owner and horse hunted with. However they did have to wait about a month before they could have it done. I think they had to wait for freezer space.
    The mare was euthanized at the kennels not at the farm. My understanding is they unloaded her at the kennels and pretty much immediately dropped her.

If he was just going to take her to New Holland he could do that at any time as New Holland is every Monday. As far as the no transportation for slaughter I would think that if he is running her through NH then that law would not apply as she is being shipped to auction not to slaughter.

Any chance that she will be feeding a hound pack? How about the safari at Great Adventure? I could see having to wait until they need the meat or have room for the meat before having her picked up.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Ok the only time I've heard of something similar was when a friend's horse, which was elderly and going downhill, was trailered to a local pasture to await its final use as meat for a big cat preserve. The horses were kept in a nice situation and when their time came, they were dispatched by gun for use as meat. This would only be a reasonable alternative when the horse was not in immediate need of being put down. I don't think it was particularly traumatic for the horse either. Hopefully this is a similar situation?