The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else LIKE it when it gets dark early??

Everyone around me is always saying that they can't stand it when it starts to get dark early during late fall/winter. I love it though! I am a night owl by nature and usually catch a second wind when the sun starts going down! Anyone else weird like me?

Quote Originally Posted by HorseLuvr View Post
    Everyone around me is always saying that they can't stand it when it starts to get dark early during late fall/winter. I love it though! I am a night owl by nature and usually catch a second wind when the sun starts going down! Anyone else weird like me?
    You see, I don't mind it for exactly the opposite reason! I'm an early bird, and I like having an excuse to go to bed at 9-10:00 (It's been dark for 6 HOURS already, OBVIOUSLY that means it's bedtime), and I like the sun to actually be up when I wake up at 6 to take care of the dog!

When I spent a month in the Costa Rican rainforest, I went to bed every night around 8:30-9:00 and woke up at 4:30 with the howler monkeys and the rest of the jungle- and it was heaven!

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know if I like it better so much but I appreciate the change and getting in early to have a relaxing evening. It's winter time when I get time to do something fun inside...a craft or even put a jigsaw puzzle together.

I try to think of it as a natural cycle and a time for us to rest. I used to hate it when I worked 8-5 but now I'm self employed and farming, it bothers me much less.

I like the light in the mornings- waking up when it's still dark is torture. That being said, two of our foster dogs are killing me.... 7:02am and they're screaming in their crates (my schedule is usually waking at 8). Screaming. We're trying to wait it out a few minutes longer every morning but they aren't having it.

I would much prefer the dark evenings if my barn had arena lights. I live a ways away and would be able to ride twice as often after work if given twenty more minutes of light.
    But it is kinda nice and cozy to come home and drink hot teas all evening!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I'm not keen on the dark nights, but I do love seeing the ponies all snuggled up in their boxes.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I hate the dark nights....getting home at 5pm in the dark means there is NO dog training happening during the week. NO good when there are still trials happening!

Hate it. It's ok on the weekends but when I have to leave the house in the dark and come home in the dark for work, it just plain sucks.
    Kerri

I'm a morning person and don't like to get up when it's pitch black. We live 30 miles from the western edge of the Eastern Time Zone. That make it even worse during DST.

I'm happy to be back on Standard Tiime.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Count me in for one who likes the early nights. Winter is my favorite time of year!

I like the early nights, too. I need the sleep!

I love early nights. I'm an early riser, and I love having the long evenings to read and relax.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

It bothers me because of my work schedule. It's dark when I leave the house regardless of the time of year. The time change means it's also dark when I leave work, which stinks. I have no daylight at all this time of year M-F unless I take time off work. However, I do tend to get more sleep since it feels later when it gets dark ealier... so there is at least that pro.
    Jer 29: 11-13

I like that I am not paddling around in the dark in the morning taking care of horses before work. However, I don't see very well in the dark, so driving home from work in the dark, especially on rainy nights can be a bit of a challenge at times.
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

I don't mind either way on the evening. But I DO like it getting light earlier in the morning.

I have GREAT DIFFICULTY getting out of bed when it is dark out.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Don't like the early dark... love the early light.

I prefer the sun to be up before I get up. I draw the shades in the evening anyway so, the sun setting at 6 or whatever does not bother me.

I like it, but then again I enjoy driving in the dark. The downside is that my horse lives at home now and I have nowhere to work her in the dark.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Wild Maple Designs - Equestrian inspired apparel.

I HATE it!!! Like the light in the morning, tho. I am lucky because we have an indoor arena where I board - but that's the only polace to ride during the week and it's boring, IMHO. I'd rather be out on the trail even if it's cold. And I hate to drive in the dark.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

and getting in early to have a relaxing evening
    well, maybe that's why you like it.
    I have stuff I have to do after I get home from work. Stuff outside. Doesn't matter if it's dark or not, out I go to have to do it. And if it's dark that just makes it all the harder to get done. Yes, I wear a headlamp and look like a dork. But dark or not, it doesn't mean I get to "Get in early" or "relax" or "rest", it just makes things harder.

Hate shortened daylight time period. HATE IT. Especially hate driving to work in the morning in the dark and then driving to the barn in the dark, riding in the indoor, then driving home in the dark.

I think I actually have seasonal affective disorder. I start dreading winter in the summer. Literally. The existence of winter really stresses me out.