The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Xc Boot Question

This fall something clicked in my horse's head how to gallop efficiently cross country. Where he used to gallop around tight and nervous, he's learned to turn his afterburners on after galloping fences and is really relaxing his stride and using his body to gallop nicely. Here's the problem, he's over reaching pretty strongly and has come back from his last few events with kicks to the back of his fetlocks. The question: Does anyone have any experience with this and what to you use on their legs to protect their fetlocks on both sides xc?

More info: We currently go in Ecogolds as they are soft and pony is prone to rubs but they don't protect the very back or outside of the joint. We are competing at advanced and recently came in 3 sec over OT at our first CCI*** so when I say he's learned to gallop I'm not kidding!

Thanks for your help in advanced!

Ok my computer won't let me search the ecogolds at the moment, nor can I fully quite understand the needs of the horse... so I may be way off and way old in my response.

What about Porter Boots?

Someone MUST have a better suggestion than this (as porter boots are such an old thing...), but it is all that I can think of.

The need is a boot that protects the back of the fetlock joint on both the inside and outside much like the areas an open front sj boot would. From the looks of them, maybe the Equalibrium Tri-Zone boots or the Premier look to cover those areas but I'm wondering if anyone else has input from experience?

I did think of porters, but would rather have a boot. Thanks

My friend has the Dalmars, they cover the sides of the fetlock really nicely!
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/dalmar-...FQU5nAodz28AJg
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

A lot of Pros in the UK compete in Prolite tendon boots.
    They do an open fronted and close fronted version. They are soft, light and flexible. I really like them.
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

I actually had the same problem- not the running a CCI*** - but over reaching at the gallop, and I bought the premiers.

I just googled the ecogolds, and the premiers definitely cover more of the back of the fetlock. I like the boots, they are light weight, durable, cool and easy to get on and off. I don't think they are tremendously rub inducing, but Mr. Sensitive Orange Princess will get rubs from them on conditioning rides (over an hour). I use gold bond and or panty hose. Works great. (thanks coth for the ideas!)

If that doesn't protect the fetlock enough, I think everything else that would work has other drawbacks. Rundown wraps won't give enough protection to the rest of the leg, Porters rub like hell, and the old skool leather 5 strap boots (mine really covered that area) are too hot.

Dalmar also makes a racing boot - maybe protects that area better?

Love, love, love Sabre's. I don't know that anyone in the US sells them but they are easily ordered from the UK and shipped over.

http://www.heartlandsaddlery.com/pro...ent-Boots.html
    A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead.

Try the Kentucky boots. I really liked the look of them.
    http://www.bitofbritain.com/Solimbra...ots_p/3923.htm

Only issue I found is they were too short on my tall boy (17+ h).

Otherwise, I've used Dalmers.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

So I'm getting a lot recommendations for the Dalmars. May see if I can get my hands on a pair.

Bornfree, I did have a look at the Kentucky boots but
    I havnt found anyone who has used them. Anyone have experience with the Kentucky boots? Pros cons?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLetterSales View Post
    So I'm getting a lot recommendations for the Dalmars. May see if I can get my hands on a pair.

Bornfree, I did have a look at the Kentucky boots but
    I havnt found anyone who has used them. Anyone have experience with the Kentucky boots? Pros cons?
    I think Michael Pollard uses them...you can shoot him an email. I bought a set and liked their feel....just didn't fit the horses I had. They will likely fit the new OTTB but not buying him expensive xc boots until he shows me that he really likes xc (I'm pretty sure he will though)
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I love my premiers (which are very like the Dalmars, but have a shatterproof tendon guard). http://www.smartpakequine.com/premie...ots-9026p.aspx

I currently go xc with Dalmars in front and premiers behind as I prefer the premier hind boot design.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    I love my premiers (which are very like the Dalmars, but have a shatterproof tendon guard). http://www.smartpakequine.com/premie...ots-9026p.aspx

I currently go xc with Dalmars in front and premiers behind as I prefer the premier hind boot design.
    That is what I generally do as well. I will say though...my guy ripped his Premiers off at Millbrook on the bank...and he bent the guard on it. I didn't love that as it created a very sharp edge ....but since he ripped the whole boot off, it didn't cause any more damage. I then went shopping for a different hind boot but I am not finding any I love.....other than the damn Kentucky which are too short/small for this boy!!!!!

Try the dalmars. They have great protection.

The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Oh my! I've not heard of that happening!

I have Premier XC boots and their Kevlar no turn overreach boots. Fit well and offer great protection. I've never had them move or slip either.