The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cheap saddles that fit like a County?

I've done a million searches and haven't found anything that is really what I'm looking for, so I figured that I would post a new thread. I'm looking for a saddle that fits like a narrow County Stabilizer that is CHEAP. Like $500 or under preferably. This saddle is for a lease horse of mine that I only have for a semester. I tried a medium Prestige Red Fox that looked like it fit but he HATED it, an ancient Collegiate that I believe was a regular tree that was a tad too narrow but he went pretty well in, and he goes great in the school's narrow County Stabilizer. He could wear a medium/narrow with some padding. I figure since Countys are wide that I should be looking for a medium tree in other saddles, but I don't know where to start with saddles that might fit him. He's a high withered Appendix QH, built a lot like a TB. So does anyone have any suggestions about what to look at that's really cheap? I don't think I'll ever find a County in that price range, even super used.

TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect10 View Post
    I don't think I'll ever find a County in that price range, even super used.

TIA!
    Sure you can, just not the Stabilizer. The Pro-fit can be found in the under $500 range by the dozens...there are usually tons on Ebay, many that go for right around the $200 mark, since they're not currently in style, but here's one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-County-...item3a620f7d0a

Used Collegiates can EASILY be found in that price bracket on Ebay, if you think that that will do it for him.

Also, anything British is a good bet, if the County fits: Ainsley, Berney Brothers, Blue Ribbon, Antill, Crosby, Jeffries, etc. All found in that price range if you check out Ebay or other cheaper used saddle sites, the "big name" used saddle dealers tend to jack prices up a bit. I'd hazard a guess that you could easily get away with an older Stubben too, which are easy to find in that price range.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks! Has the width of the pro fit changed over time, or are the old ones still pretty reliably wider than most other brands?

What about this harry dabbs? Is it worth a shot?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harry-Dabbs-...item3ccd7b858d