The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dented dogfood cans

I usually buy ultra cheap canned dogfood to treat my dogs' evening meal. 1 can split up amongst 6 dogs. It's just a little treat, so I don't care that it's crap. When I was buying the cans at Big Lots, a lot of them were dented. I picked through the cans and picked (I thought) all undented ones. I specifically looked at each can. Now, several days later, when I'm looked at them, about half of them are dents either at the top or the side. DO I have to worry about botulism, or is that just bulging cans?

StG

We get Iams (expensive) dented cans with the labels ripped off for about 30 cents each. I've never had a problem with the dented cans as long as there were no cracks or splits to let air in. Hard to get to work with the opener, though!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I ran a pet store for 10 years- we had a lot of dented cans. Believe me, you WILL know if you open a can that was poorly sealed. I don't think I will ever forget that smell. We had 3 cans in all those years that were bad, out of thousands of dented ones. I wouldn't worry about it-usually just clumsy stockers.

1 members found this post helpful.

I buy cases of canned food (the bigger 13oz-ish cans) which have been and continue to be stacked for a few months. There are always dented cans, maybe a dozen or so over 12-13 cases. Not one of them have been remotely compromised by the time I opened them.

And yes, if you opened one that had a vacuum breach, you WOULD know it, as it's basically rotting meat at that point

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm glad I don't have to worry about them.

StG

as long as they make a fizzy sound when you open them. you should be ok.