The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Also, my BFF has said that she has to accept some who really don't need it and deny others who DO, but her hands are tied from using common sense. She has to follow the EXACT rules and regs spelled out.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    I know a lady with MS. Before it got so bad that she had to quit her job she had a full size horse. When she got bad enough that she had to rely on a scooter because she couldn't reliably walk anywhere, she sold him and bought a mini and a cart. She would go to shows and showed in him hand from her scooter. It kept her active and alive. Now the MS is so bad that she can't even go to the barn and had to sell her mini and cart. We don't expect her to last much longer. I would never begrudge her the happy memories that she has of the time she was able to spend with the horses.
    God bless that lady, I mean that with all my heart. A dear friend of mine back in VA has lived with MS for 20 years and she is really struggling now. She works full time and spends the weekend recharging. She is an amazing woman like the one you spoke of.

The person I know has a mental/emotional problem so the disability isn't obvious. They make unwise choices which drag them down further. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    Also, my BFF has said that she has to accept some who really don't need it and deny others who DO, but her hands are tied from using common sense. She has to follow the EXACT rules and regs spelled out.
    This doesn't bode well for obamacare coming down the pike.

3 members found this post helpful.

My brother-in-law has multiple myeloma. In remission now but it is incurable - he could live 15 years more. He's had it for 5 years and in those five years has had two separate stem cell transplants.
    When he's feeling good you'd never know he has cancer. But no one will hire him as he does need to make frequent trips to the clinic for testing, and on some days he just doesn't feel well at all. Fortunately his medical bills are covered somewhat by his wife's insurance, but he NEEDS his disability.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    My brother-in-law has multiple myeloma. In remission now but it is incurable - he could live 15 years more. He's had it for 5 years and in those five years has had two separate stem cell transplants.
    When he's feeling good you'd never know he has cancer. But no one will hire him as he does need to make frequent trips to the clinic for testing, and on some days he just doesn't feel well at all. Fortunately his medical bills are covered somewhat by his wife's insurance, but he NEEDS his disability.
    I can't imagine living with MM and I'm glad the assistance is there for his family. The program is doing what it was meant to do.

Painted Hunter, I specifically asked these people if they had to pass physicals or if there were any other requirements to continue their disability payments. They all said they had never been required to prove their continued disability. Most of them had been on it for 10 years or more.

A neighbor did report some of the most flagrant offenders and nothing came of it. When he called to follow up they wouldn't give him any information and said they were looking into it. That has been over a year ago and nothing has changed.

If cases are being reviewed it is probably a very small percentage. I'm not blaming the SSI employees, I'm sure they are doing the best they can, but it seems the system is screwed up.

I don't begrudge truly disabled people one penny they get. I just wish there was a way the people that need it get it, and the ones that don't need it get it taken away.

7 members found this post helpful.

I think so often it depends on the individual and the nature of the disability. My father is on disability following a stroke several years ago. To look at him walking the dog down the street, you wouldn't know anything is wrong with him, but it's left him with permanent aphasia and a lot of cognitive issues. He drives locally, to get a paper at the store or whatnot, and certainly would be physically capable of getting on a horse, and if he knew how to ride at all, probably would be perfectly capable of trail riding or lower level dressage, etc.

But if you try to have a conversation with him, it becomes very quickly apparent that he'd have difficulty working in most environments, because it's hard for him to communicate. That's particularly hard on him, because he worked all his life in HR and recruiting, spending his days talking to people, and he can't do that anymore. I'm lucky if he can clearly tell me how the weather is when I call to say hello.

The stroke was four years ago, and I don't believe he's had to reapply. But then again, he was nearly 60 when it happened, so he may just have been close enough to early retirement age that it rolled on over to Medicaid/Medicare.

I guess what I'm ultimately saying is that I've come to understand that the definition of a disability isn't always based on what you see, and can be very much based on the individual in particular. If someone with a disability is able to get out and about and enjoying life through whatever means, whether its fishing like my dad or riding their horse, I'm more likely to cheer them on than question them.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've been mulling over looking into it. I'm not sure I'd qualify, though. I have chronic MRSA, which is VERY contagious, and I worry about exposing others to it.

Don't know if that's an eligible condition, though...which is why I'm looking at work from home jobs. I'd feel horrible if I gave it to someone.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

So, fortunately for my own sanity there have already been a number of spot on responses. Really, just mind your own business. There are people who's job it is to worry about if this individual is sick enough or has too many other resources.

OP you mentioned knowing all the details of this person's situation. I would just offer that it's extremely common for people to think they know what is going on with someone else. This is especially the case with health concerns and extends all the way into the person in question's most intimate relationships. Or an SO's suicide would never be a surprise and DOD's cancer would always actually be in remission. The things we keep from each other are not our secret fortunes but are deepest shames and weaknesses. No one but you knows how easy or hard your life is on a given day.

People can absolutely be well enough to get out of bed and address their basic needs most days but still be too unwell to be employable or hold down a job. Any activity they can enjoy and take part in either gives them something pleasant in their life before things get worse OR improves their chances of being able to support themselves again.

As someone who used to determine program eligibility for a living I couldn't even tell you how many times I heard someone speculating about someone else's fraudulent benefit acquisition. Of course I couldn't address claims specifically due to confidentiality, but just in my state there were 17 different health care programs. Each with it's own eligibility rules. Most people, even educated equestrians can't keep track of the basic difference between Medicaid and Medicare. I did not work for Social Security so I don't know about those policies, but I can tell you there are different kinds of "disability." One person can have different sources of this kind of income over time or even at the same time. The money can be work-related, health policy related, SSI, SSD, or (most often in the long-term) help from a loved one. Someone who isn't working for health reasons is not necessarily someone who is on SSI. But if they are, they almost certainly need it. And if they are on SSD this is a form of insurance they paid for. Those payments are often higher if the person made good money over a long period of time. Usually that's someone you would expect to still be making good money on their own if they could. Really no one wants to lurk around the margins of "good society" being perceived as a mooch, a burden, or a malingerer.

Yes, some people take advantage of the system, although most of those are so dysfunctional in so many ways I'm not really sure what the answer is (think: the infamous "White" family of WV who are very proactive about getting their kids on SSI).

It's not a bad question, but the answer is really simple: No it's not inherently wrong. Leave the judging to God - and possibly the Social Security Administration (Not sure of their review process, but we reviewed every single case every 6mos and much more frequently ended benefits that people really still needed than approved them for those who didn't).

If there are details of this situation you are privy to that cause you to know that there is fraud then you really don't need anyone's approval here. I don't have those details though. Please understand, I cannot afford two horses at all and envy anyone who can. But maybe those 2 horses are the thin red line between this person and total crazy. I dunno, unless someone is abusing a child or an animal, don't worry about what they do.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

15 members found this post helpful.

I just got approved for SSI not disbility after 5 appeals. At the encoragment of my various DRs.
    To see me on the side walk and not know me I look normal. But
    I currently have 2 forms of cancer (cousins to lukemeia), have an on going neuological problem,and reciently a stroke, oh yeah a leg that is an inch an half shorter than the other that has royaly scewed up my back...

I dont know which one of my many things they looked at that finally tipped the scale in my favor. But I had tried to work until the flrsent lighting got to my head ( giving me head aches and smalll seizures)...to where I just couldnt handle it any more because I was doing stupid things. And there are not many comercial buildings that do not have florsent lighting.

If you do not know me I sound fine but if you know me you notice things in the way I speak that was not there prior to my stroke. Prior to my stroke I could give anyone a verbal 'blistering' when necessary or when I thought 'necessary' ( when someone was acting stupid/ to PC, in person or on the phone) now I have a hestant in my voice that was not there.

I would give anythng to work give me situatiuon in which that doest put me under florsent lighting.. That doesnt have me working phones.that doesnt have me walking a lot. An employer that will understand that I will need to see many Drs and have many test some of which only have take the time of a few blood viles some of whch have me out like a light for a day or so.. And I will take it in a heart beat.. But I couldnt find any if you can let me know BTW I have lab once every 3 weeks, other tests every mth half... Drs apt once every other week..
    Friend of bar .ka

25+ years ago I was diagnosed with severe asthma and the Dr told me he was giving me a letter to get SSI, as I should not even be working or exerting in any way or would end up dead.
    My grandmother died at 44 from an asthma attack.

I told him no, lets try medication and it took several to find one that worked well enough.
    Once on medication and learning to manage asthma, I have done fine, rarely have a problem.

The little towns around here have many people living here and working in the big town and about as many living here because it is very cheap and living off SSI.
    It is hard to say who is really disabled and who is working the system.
    Either way, their standard of living is definitely not plush.
    Sad to do with little because you can't provide better.
    Sad when you can but don't want to provide better.

The problems with government assistance are way more than just who is getting SSI.

One of the unseens problems is meeting an employer's expectations of working an 8 hour day (which is really 10-12 hours when you include getting ready and commuting) 5 days in a row, week after week after week. I could work but probably only 1 or 2 days a week.

I am active for about 2 hours a day. I can garden, clean the barn, ride my horse but not all in the same day. At shows, I require 2 people (family) to assist me. That's how I do it. I'm actually healthier and less of a drain on the system because of my horse.

Quote Originally Posted by bumknees View Post
    I just got approved for SSI not disbility after 5 appeals. At the encoragment of my various DRs.
    I currently have 2 forms of cancer (cousins to lukemeia), have an on going neuological problem,and reciently a stroke, oh yeah a leg that is an inch an half shorter than the other that has royaly scewed up my back...
    i can't believe you had so much trouble getting disability when you have such blatant health problems! that is ridiculous, esp when i personally know literally hundreds of families (i'm a teacher) where the parent is on disability for "back pain" or some other bs thing. it just seems so unfair.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    With all due respect to some of the remarks, I know everything about the person and the situation in my OP.

There was a point early on in our marriage when Mr. SLW's job was eliminated and the first thing I unloaded was my horse. 30 years later, I would do that tomorrow if something happened to our income.

vacation1 summed it up very well. "There is always a population that will scam whatever's going. More to the point, there is never perfect agreement over what a legitimate use of government benefits would be."
    When you start a sentence "with all due respect" you are almost invariably going to be disrespectful. While you MAY know "everything about the person and the situation" (which I feel is unlikely) you didn't make that clear in your original post, so don't be rude to people answering the question you asked.

I have a 20% VA disability because of 3 herniated disks and degenerative disk disease. Most of the time I'm fine. It's been several years since I had a serious incident. I don't ride any more, or run, or lift things, but I hold down 2 jobs and most of the time feel like I'm a fraud accepting a government check when there are soldiers coming home in far worse shape. That money, however, has also paid for the chiropractor that keeps me in such good shape, and I'm always just a slip or a twist away from the hospital. Lots of people probably don't know I have any problems, but I shouldn't have to justify myself to them.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

5 members found this post helpful.

"back pain" can be a simple explanation for HUGE problems. Again, judging the book by it's cover does not give indepth information. I pride myself on not letting on how crappy I feel. I try to always smile and press on. I don't want my family to worry for me or about me. Also, I don't want to be defined by my various problems so I try not to think about them any more than is necessary to control them. Mostly, I keep my mouth shut because society as a whole is very judgemental. I've learned not to look with envy at that person who can go for a walk by herself anytime she wants to. She may be able to do that thing which I cannot but I don't know what other tremendous burden she's trying to live well with. We all have burdens that don't show.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    This doesn't bode well for obamacare coming down the pike.
    Nothing at all to do with Obamacare. It's been this way the 15 years she's been working there, and I'm sure extending well well well beyond that. It's bureaucracy and people without medical knowledge making the rules and exceptions.

Let me state that I do not disagree with any of the above posters.

But light years ago, I boarded a horse for the woman down the street, who still lives there, who told me that her insurance job, on the other coast, upset her so much that she went out on disability, and that she paid me the board check as soon as her check came. All she had to do was go once or twice a year to some shrink to convince them she was still fragile, to continue her check.

Fragile my ass. ( I am a mental health professional).

And, she was a graduate of the London School of Dance and Drama.

So there are scammers.

As well a mostly legitimate folks with visible or unvisible problems.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    Nothing at all to do with Obamacare. It's been this way the 15 years she's been working there, and I'm sure extending well well well beyond that. It's bureaucracy and people without medical knowledge making the rules and exceptions.
    I would say the comment you are responding to means that the government can't do well what is doing now.
    Adding Obamacare to this mess and expecting it to do any better is unrealistic.

It is not only SSI, it is welfare and Medicaid/Medicare and any other such programs, that limp along badly from mismanagement.

Adding more such programs? A bit foolish, I think.
    All we are doing is multiplying the mess we are in today.
    Never a good idea, especially in a recession, where finding the money to pay for those is even more questionable.

[QUOTE=bumknees;6652909]I just got approved for SSI not disbility after 5 appeals. At the encoragment of my various DRs.
    QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by DieBlaueReiterin View Post
    i can't believe you had so much trouble getting disability when you have such blatant health problems! that is ridiculous, esp when i personally know literally hundreds of families (i'm a teacher) where the parent is on disability for "back pain" or some other bs thing. it just seems so unfair.
    ON my 5th or 6th appeal I dont recall which the judge said Because I go to a meeting that last a few hrs once every 3mths for a vetrans group that may have floresant lighting. That my testomy that floresant lighting messes with people with neur. problems is unrealistic and I am oh how did he put it...unrealable I think thats how he put it, I dont have the papers in front of me. And that is after I copied many things of site like Mayo, Clevelad Clinic, Yale med ect to prove my point and handed them to him.
    As for my cancers he had never heard of them so they did not exsist.. Very few have heard of them and they are only life theatenng if I stop taking the meds.
    I know it wa stupid.. I almost did not appeal agian but a friend said do it so I said ok 1 more time but after this no more.
    Now my particular state has a 98% with adults of nonaproval the frst time with a i beleive it drops t 85% nonapproval the 2nd then 75% then the odd of getting approved get better like over 60% get appoved after their 5th time. And Iheard age has lot to do with it in my particular state with adults also.Over 49 has a better aproval rate then under 49 and I turned 49 in May..
    Friend of bar .ka

I totally understand that disabilities may be invisible, but I would think if a person receives enough income from a disability cheque alone to pay all living expenses and then own and show two horses, that maybe we're handing out too much money?
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**