The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

I have deliberately withheld specifics about the person because this is a public board. All I will add to flesh out the situation is: yes, I'm talking about SSI only and the person does not have a disability like the ones that have been shared by posters in this thread. We have some really amazing people in this BB community and I respect them even more after reading some of these personal accounts.

RdEventer, you have asked some thought provoking questions, thank you. Off the cuff, yes, in my view owning a horse is luxury and not a necessity. DieBlaueReiterin post above addressed some of the reasons. In their own words SSI states the money is to cover basic food, clothing and shelter. The flip side is in the regular world a lot of little girls want to own a horse but the cost is prohibitive for a family, yes? Tilts towards a luxury and not a necessity in the monthly budget, no?

In the time since I started this thread I've asked myself is owning a cat or dog a luxury or incompatible with someone receiving govt assistance? I don't think so because the routine monthly expenses for food and basic maintenance "should" be less. Veterinary bills are another subject by itself.

4 members found this post helpful.

SLW, since you are familiar enough with the situation, are you comfortable reporting this person as collecting benefits fraudulently?

While I totally understand that some disabilities are not apparent, it does bother me when people try to take advantage of the system. I remember reading a story about a woman who had won the lottery, yet continued to collect benefits. It just goes to show how easy it is for someone to slip through the cracks, especially when you take into consideration how overwhelmed the system must certainly be.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

SLW, since you are familiar enough with the situation, are you comfortable reporting this person as collecting benefits fraudulently?

While I totally understand that some disabilities are not apparent, it does bother me when people try to take advantage of the system. I remember reading a story about a woman who had won the lottery, yet continued to collect benefits. It just goes to show how easy it is for someone to slip through the cracks, especially when you take into consideration how overwhelmed the system must certainly be.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    yes, I'm talking about SSI only and the person does not have a disability like the ones that have been shared by posters in this thread.
    "Effective January 2012, the maximum Federal SSI payment for an eligible individual is $698 per month and for an eligible couple $1,048 per month." - SSA

If SSI is being confused with SSD, then once again, that is something that was paid into. If folks don't think we should have such programs or don't like how they are administered I really think they should contact their representatives, not police their neighbors.

ETA: also again, OP if you have enough information that there is a clear case of fraud, then by all means report it. But nothing has been shared that makes that apparent. If you don't think the diagnosis is of something sufficiently debilitating then I would reiterate I believe it's the responsibility of doctors to make that determination.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

1 members found this post helpful.

I have 2 disability policies that I may be required to start collecting on in the next few years. Not sure yet. My employer provides one-- 65% of salary. I also have a private one that I purchased that also pays 50% of my salary. Both are premium based, but my employer's requires that I apply for SSI to offset some of the cost.

So, yes, I guess in theory, I would be collecting federal benefits in order to collect private benefits. I do think that's a problem with the private disability insurance system.

That said, collecting on both policies would actually pay me more than when I was initially working, intentionally, because I will have increased medical expenses. However, between that income and my now husband's income, we would have no problem keeping one horse and I would still be able to ride.

Guess I'm not feeling good about that even though the $$ would be coming from my husband and my private policies, and not really from the gov. My private policy is an "own occupation" policy purchased intentionally because if I had a disability that prevented me from traveling, I would not be able to do my job. It pays out even if I take a different job. So you may also know individuals who are "working" and disabled thanks to own occupation policies.

Quote Originally Posted by RdEventer View Post
    I'm surprised by some of these responses. I think that being able to ride and have horses is a tremendous gift and I would be thrilled if someone I knew were still able to enjoy them despite being on disability. In fact, I would be very sorry if someone I had previously known very well had to give up their horses due to health reasons. Would I even be willing to pitch in a tiny bit of money every month if it meant they were able to keep them? Absolutely. But that's my opinion and I understand why some of you feel a sense of injustice about the situation, especially if you've given up horses for financial reasons.

For discussion's sake: Those of you who take issue with her spending government-issued money on horses, what changes would you like to see in the system? Would you support increased government regulations on SSI? Would you prefer the recipients receive benefits in food stamps instead? Would you like recipients to be issued a suggested budget for living expenses and have an agent to monitor spending? What if recipients submitted a monthly budget for approval?

Imagine you're on a committee reviewing complaint cases for potential disability fraud. Would any equestrian activity be considered a red flag? Would you equate someone owning and showing her own horses with someone found to be taking weekly lessons? Would it be more acceptable if the subject were riding through a therapeutic riding program?

I hope nobody assumes that these are meant to be inflammatory questions. I promise they're not. I'm just curious about what alternatives to the current regulation you'd support and whether you believe all equine recreation is luxury, or just the kind where you're supporting an expensive showing habit.
    Ahha this is where the judge called me "unreilabe" again. Because I owned a horse andI once worked in the horse busness as a groom helping out a disabled vet. He did not think riding meshed with being disababled. Even though he was awrare of theraptic riding programs. Again his opinion for me dont know if he feels the same for other.. he didnt beleive that they helped OR that I never up to that time rode my own horse.(which i hadnt I felt he was to young), and that theraputic riding has no place in any decission making for me. OR that the equestrian bsness was most likeley the only buesness I could do due to the lack of flrsent lighting, beause the equestrian buseinsee in his opnion was not a real busesness except the race horse buesness.
    dispite my evediane to the opsite I presented to him.( my atty told me or rather sugested what to bring).
    Friend of bar .ka

ever think horses for some of us is thereputic? they help me mentally and my mobilty
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

2 members found this post helpful.

THIS!!! On my bad days, you don't see me. I'm home, staying quiet. Getting help with my barns chores. Always getting help with riding...western because that's doable for me.

You didn't see me at the library; you saw DH getting an armload of books he thought I might like so I could choose at home. You didn't see me at the grocery store; you saw him.

Even today, I get so tired that I rarely drive anywhere by myself. I resent having to have a 'keeper' with me all the time but do you really want me passing out and hitting you head on?

Disability is way more tnot being able to work. I lived in fear of someone 'reporting' that they had seen me doing something that IN THEIR OPINION proved I was a fraud. You have no idea how scarey it is to think that you could have this income revoked by some butt-in-ski

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    When you a disabled person functioning fine out in the public eye, you are seeing the good day. What they are not seeing is:

That knee giving out sending the person sprawling down a set of stairs.

That person trying to get back into the car in a normal parking space when someone has parked a bit close so the door won't open all the way.

That person pacing themselves because they know they can only do so much before they have to spend days paying for it.

Not being able to eat because the pain meds are tearing up your insides.

My tough husband curled up in the floor beside the bed on the verge of tears because he cannot stop the pain and hasn't slept in a week. Begging me to just cut off his leg.

My horses keep me alive!

Quote Originally Posted by *Teddy* View Post
    ever think horses for some of us is thereputic? they help me mentally and my mobilty

You are such a lovely person.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    So you can get part-time jobs gardening, cleaning the barn, and horseback riding a few hours a week, 7 days a week, and then lean on your supportive family for the rest. I'd much rather you did that, but you're welcome for the money that I never would have given you willingly.

Thank you for your response. Ignore the last thumbs down. I accidentally hit the thumbs down when I meant thumbs up. My vision is failing also. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Absolutely uncalled for, and will happily own up to giving you a thumbs down for it.

Perhaps they have money salted away. Getting disability is not welfare, it's payment for being physically able to hold a job...might be your specific job or any job, depends on the plan

My BIL is 100% retired on disability with congestive heart failure. He still plays golf and bets the ponies. It keeps him going. Some days it's tough to get out of bed.

The most judgmental of you really ought to read the spoon theory (actually everyone should...its about those among us who don't look sick):

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/ar...-spoon-theory/
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Absolutely uncalled for, and will happily own up to giving you a thumbs down for it.

I absolutely meant it. It is unfortunate that it's no longer embarrassing for people to be on the dole. You know why people who make cash often choose to not report it as income? They want to keep money they earn. And so do I. I can think of a million things I'd rather do with it than give it to people like eduzit. I just wish I could, but that dreaded tax withholding gets me every paycheck. Of course, I don't have a horse of my own because I can't afford it...

so where do therapeutic riding programs come into play here?
    mostly everyone in them around here is on medicaid and social security of some sort. and they are not sponsored the way special olympics is, not by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnalli View Post
    Not always. I have a friend who lost her lower leg. She is on disability. Do you know that a couple years afterwards, she was called in to verify that she was still disabled? Trina is a smart alec, so she walks in, undoes the fake leg and puts it on the desk and says"Nope, still using the fake one as the real one didn't grow back"

I don't approve of how she spends her money (she has some "issues") but it is not my call.
    Why is missing a lower leg keeping her from working? Just curious. She could do a lot of office work.

6 members found this post helpful.

I absolutely meant it. It is unfortunate that it's no longer embarrassing for people to be on the dole. You know why people who make cash often choose to not report it as income? They want to keep money they earn. And so do I. I can think of a million things I'd rather do with it than give it to people like eduzit. I just wish I could, but that dreaded tax withholding gets me every paycheck. Of course, I don't have a horse of my own because I can't afford it...
    So you condone cheating on taxes, but not taking assistance when you need or deserve it? Is it only civilian disability collecters that you disapprove of, or does that include service related disabilities as well, since many of those men and women are physically or mentally "able" to do some sort of work?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I suggest you direct the appropriate amount of ire to those who hide money off-shore, don't pay their child-support, heck even those who vote for tax policies full of loop holes and the rest.

Be sure to plug up all the holes before you go after people who are sick or hurt and taking some of your tax dollars for that.

Keep in mind that the poverty rate for people with handicaps is higher than for other groups. Oh, and tax codes have even quantified the effects of being blind versus other physical problems. Can you imagine how much data-- and suffering and discrimination-- stands behind that?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    So because someone is on disability they are supposed to live in penury and have no joy in their lives?
    Of course giant pony, and not have cars, and dont eat out and cant have all sorts of things. After all its all these well meaning people, who pay their taxes and work harder than anyone else in the whole world, are the only ones footing these social programs. Geesh... what a crock!! Yes i am being sarcastic.
    MYOB in case it comes back to bite you in the a$$ one day, cause Karma is a beotch
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HillnDale View Post
    "Effective January 2012, the maximum Federal SSI payment for an eligible individual is $698 per month and for an eligible couple $1,048 per month." - SSA

If SSI is being confused with SSD, then once again, that is something that was paid into. If folks don't think we should have such programs or don't like how they are administered I really think they should contact their representatives, not police their neighbors.

ETA: also again, OP if you have enough information that there is a clear case of fraud, then by all means report it. But nothing has been shared that makes that apparent. If you don't think the diagnosis is of something sufficiently debilitating then I would reiterate I believe it's the responsibility of doctors to make that determination.
    Thanks so much for the info. It really helps.

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    Why is missing a lower leg keeping her from working? Just curious. She could do a lot of office work.
    No, it does not keep her from working, come to think of it. She does get a disability check, though I don't know how much, as I have never asked. Maybe there is a "partial disability" classification for civilians too. I know the military has different percentages of disability, so maybe it is the same idea? I don't know. That is a good question though. This was several years back, so maybe there was something going on I didn't know about. She had gotten a really bad case of bacterial meningitis, back in the 90s when that outbreak happened in GA, which was the proximate cause of losing the leg.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown