The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone have a Morton's neuroma?

So, I have one between my third and fourth toes on my left foot that has gotten worse over the past year. Doesn't matter what shoes I wear, or sometimes, even what I'm doing—it just hurts so $%?#! bad that I'm finally realizing that I need to do something to keep my sanity. Riding, of course, exacerbates it.

Anyone does the course of steroid shots? Or, better yet, had it surgically removed? Would love to hear COTHers' wisdom.

Yes. Right foot, same spot as yours, just other foot. I haven't done anything for it either yet, but am almost there. Am interested in the responses you get.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

My mom had one surgically removed and was very happy with the results. She had some complications due to some bone chips in the foot (old injury), so her recovery was a bit longer, but they have pretty good success with the surgery, as far as I've seen.

Good luck!
    Be compassionate, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

1 members found this post helpful.

I had one in my right foot maybe six or seven years ago. It hurt like crap no matter what I wore or how active I was. I had one cortisone injection and wear orthotics that have a support under that area and really haven't had a major problem with it since. If I go too long wearing shoes that my orthotics don't fit in (they only fit in my tennis shoes, but fortunately I pretty much live in those) it will hurt a bit but if I start wearing my orthotics again it feels better within a day or so.

I've had one for several years. It's miserable, isn't it? Like hitting your funny bone over & over again I've found that I had to go up a half size in my riding boots to be comfortable, and it's still tough when I ride for 3 or 4 hours. I've found that sandals & boots are OK, almost everything else hurts. I have not pursued surgery, as I've heard more stories of failure with foot surgeries than I have of success. However, I am considering a cortisone shot to get me through the winter when I can't wear sandals every day.
    Of course, if my horse was in pain, I'd probably treat her right away...for me, I just suck it up and keep going...and apparently most everyone else here does the same

I had one a few years ago. I actually was in the shower and dropped an economy-sized shampoo bottle so I leaped to avoid having my foot broken. All was well until I got out of the shower. I tried to walk and the pain was so bad I assumed I had broken my foot! I did all kinds of little exams on my foot and the only way I could make it hurt was to walk on it. Saw a podiatrist and he said to just stay off it for a little while and it would go away. I can't recall exactly how long I stayed off it (probably not even a full week- I do not enjoy crutches) but it went away and never came back!