The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default pregnant, not even halfway, feet starting to swell, help!

So I spent half the day at work with my boots off. And then I tried to put them back on. It was rather difficult compared to this morning. Damn.

I eat very very little salt, and while I could drink more water, it's not like I'm dehydrated. I don't eat super-healthy, but I do the best I can since veggies don't exactly agree with my morning sickness. Lots of fruit, some milk, chicken, and I don't salt anything I cook. Only eat out for lunch and try to go healthier.

Aside from support hose, keeping my feet up, or a beer hat full of bottled water, what else can I do to keep the swelling to a minimum? My job requires me to be able to move around some, though I do try to limit that due to hip problems. If I'm on my feet too much I literally cannot stand up at night.

I had twins. Not sure there's much you can do about swollen feet, except putting your feet up when you can. I wore very thin socks -- what do they call them? Knee highs? But the bottom line is you may need to get bigger, more comfortable shoes. Oh, and, the best part? Your feet may not go back to their original size! I was horrified to learn this mid-pregnancy, then to learn that's exactly what happened to many of my friends. I went up a half size. :-)
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

I didnt have swelling until last month or so. It was also getting hot (May). I remember not being able to wear ANY shoes one hot day--I had a meeting to go too and didnt go.

I would mention it to dr. If you are only 4 months along it may be signs of stuff you dont want signs of. Hands swelling? Belly? Face?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Buy larger shoes, and talk to your doctor. That could be a sign of blood pressure problems, which will result in you going out on maternity leave earlier, and being very bored at home and in bed until the baby comes. Ask me how I know.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

My immediate thought was blood pressure. I had pre-eclampsia with my first child, and I had to be really careful. I would talk to my OB-GYN if I were you.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I agree to get yourself checked out for pre-e. Never hurts to be safe.

That said, it is completely normal to go up a shoe size during pregnancy. Completely. My friends are 50/50 on returning to their regular sizes afterward -- some do, some don't. Invest in comfy shoes in the meantime. And don't wear tight socks -- "cankles" are normal too. I am definitely holding water and it drifts down during the day.

Can you put a footstool under your desk? Raising them a little might help.

Being pregnant is miserable. I feel your pain -- I'm 16 weeks and counting the days.

I was at the doctor last week and my BP was totally normal, has been the whole time. Dunno if I have other swelling cause I can't wear rings to work, so I have nothing to judge by. My face doesn't look puffy though.

Luckily I have steel toes in 1/2 or so size too big as well, bought for warm thick socks, but will work well for this too. My others fit length-wise, just tight across the top of my foot now (pull-ons).

I almost wish they would take me out of work at this point though. Job is causing a lot of stress.
    Last edited by Hampton Bay; Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:57 PM.

My legs / feet swelled with my 2nd pregnancy. I looked like a whale, too. Every night, I'd lie on the floor and put my feet up (as in, WAY up) while watching TV. Everything was fine, I was just very uncomfortable. Hated every minute of it. And of course Baby was 2 weeks late. In June. During a hot, humid spell. Ugh. I remember jumping rope (literally) to speed up things. Even riding didn't help!

I feel for you.
    Talk to your doctor. He might be able to get you out of working. Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!