The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lunging cavesson

Do you use one? Why or why not?

Are all lunging cavessons created equal? I'm thinking of getting one - is there one that you'd recommend over the other? Tips for fitting (or are they mostly one-size-fits-all)?
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    Do you use one? Why or why not?

Are all lunging cavessons created equal? I'm thinking of getting one - is there one that you'd recommend over the other? Tips for fitting (or are they mostly one-size-fits-all)?
    I have the most awesome lungeing cavesson in the entire world and now that I know you want one, it's yours!

But seriously, it's way too big for miss Flora, but I bet it would fit Mac. I ordered it all the way from England because it's that awesome and you can't get them in the US. I can mail it to you if you need it soon.

Mine was supposed to be a pony/cob, but it's actually a cob/horse...
    http://www.rideaway.co.uk/cottage-craft-lunge-cavesson

I always use a longeing cavesson. Why? It is fitted so that it cannot move around on the face. It does not put an inappropriate motion on the bit. It gives me control of the head (and then the body) I always do the full rigamarole with fitted padded surcingle, lauffer reins, regular side reins or chambon. My cavesson has a bridoon strap with an eggbut double jointed bit.

When I am longeing I am either teaching a new idea or I am working the horse. For me, longeing is not about just "running the horse in circles." Circles are too stressful on the joints so if I am circling, I want it to count.

The best longeing cavesson I own is almost 50 years old. Personally, I would go for very heavy leather, with browband and at least 3 straps on the underside of the horses jaw. You really do get what you pay for. Go for the best you can afford, since they last forever. They do come in sizes but in general it's more cob or large horse instead of all the sizes you find in bridles. With the exception of on 10 hand pony and one 18.1 draft, I've been able to make it fit somehow between the two sizes I have.

Lightbulb

Agreed that you get what you pay for with cavessons.

Mine too is around 50 years old. I purchased in England. It was then called a Wels cavesson. The identical thing was sold a few years ago by Dover in their SRS line of tack. Since it was very expensive, I don't think it lasted but one or two catalogs.

It has a padded leather covered steel nose band, with a center swiveling ring, and two side fixed rings, the nose band meets the chin strap at end of the cheek pieces in a metal ring which allows the chin strap to move as it would on a dropped nose band.

The chin strap is able then to fit under the rings of the bit as would a dropped nose band. This allows the vibration of the longe line to be felt on the bit and mouth. The 'arrets' of the longe in asking for a halt or downward transition, along with the voice, accustom the horse to the same gentle ( we hope) feel from a rider's fingers.

Longeing should always be an opportunity for training.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Thanks, PePo - I may pick it up from you next time I see you - there's no rush.

I think I am a decent longeur, but have never used one of these before - what do I need to know about it? What are the side rings for (if there are three on the nose - middle and one on each side)?

I'm not a "put my horse on the lunge and spin him around" type of person and actually don't like to do a lot of lunging. But, when I do do it, I want it to be for schooling, for learning something new in-hand, for a purpose.

For those of you who do use them - do you always use them with your horse bridled and bitted, or do you take off the cavesson and then put on the bridle (if not using side reins)?
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

This is how I prefer to lunge with the cavesson, go to about 30 seconds in. They do both with and without to bridle.
    http://youtu.be/zLHHjcs5Qh8

I was thinking about purchasing a new Cavesson but am now thinking I would prefer one of these for the multi functionality. Like others have mentioned I use lunging for training purposes only. I dont spend a lot of time 'lunging" outside of basic preparation for under saddle work. I have spoken to several people that have them and they seem to really like them.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/mickle...x?cm_vc=Search

I also thought this Cavesson looked quite nice but would like a additional chin-strap: http://www.tackzone.com/catalog/ulti...son-p-411.html

I couldn't find one I liked either so I designed my own with a jumping hackmore noseband wrapped in fleece. I put it onto a bridle like a regular noseband with a bradoon hanger.

http://www.amazon.com/Kincade-Jumpin.../dp/B000B9OO8Y

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Lung...item1e730f6105

I got one like this (may have been this seller, but I don't remember as it was a few months ago). It is really nice quality, I think it will last me my entire life of horses. I got horse sized and it definitely is big, I would consider cob sized if I was to order again.

I definitely prefer it over the budget nylon one, with only two chin straps, I was using before.

Of course the youngster is still a bit strong and for the moment I'm back to lunging him on the bridle with the bit, but I think he's about ready to switch back to the cavesson.

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleFitterVA View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Lung...item1e730f6105

I got one like this (may have been this seller, but I don't remember as it was a few months ago). It is really nice quality, I think it will last me my entire life of horses. I got horse sized and it definitely is big, I would consider cob sized if I was to order again.

I definitely prefer it over the budget nylon one, with only two chin straps, I was using before.

Of course the youngster is still a bit strong and for the moment I'm back to lunging him on the bridle with the bit, but I think he's about ready to switch back to the cavesson.
    Funny, I do the opposite. Only my more advanced horses are longed on the bit. Green horses always in the cavesson.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    Funny, I do the opposite. Only my more advanced horses are longed on the bit. Green horses always in the cavesson.
    Agreed.

I have this caveson. It's very lightweight because it doesn't have two inches of ridiculous padding across the nose with heavy brass rings. It's made of thick, quality leather and has very little padding across the nose, which is slightly flexible but very strong.

I can use it alone, attach a bit to it, or put it over my bridle, depending on the horse and the work being done. I love it for in hand work.

I prefer to use a caveson most of the time, but definitely on a young horse, one in need of retraining, or when teaching something new.

Cool Adjust properly!!

Just make sure it fits snugly and the adjustment under the jowl is snug enough so that you pulling on the front nose ring doesn't allow the headstall to be pulled
    up on the outside. You can't see this happen because your are on the inside but it can damage the horses eye if not adjusted snugly enough.
    Also make sure it is up high enough on the nose.

The green horse is a big bully, who blew off the humans when in the cavesson.

I'll try to go back to the cavesson when we pick up lunging again. He's on a break.