The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Moldy Saddle :(

Just need to get some quick opinions. I bought a saddle on eBay. Great deal, happy with the saddle size, no real damage, etc. However the description mentioned nothing of mold, the pictures showed a clean in good condition, but the sucker is like 70% covered in mold today when I received it in the mail.

I already received a response from the shipper and she/he is claiming innocence. So...do I file a dispute? Or do I suck it up to a good deal and try to clean it? Not really looking forward to extensive tack cleaning before being able to ride in it!

Honestly, if you are happy with everything else about the saddle, I would just try my best to clean it and get rid of the mold. Good Luck!

Give it a good clean - rinse often and don't reuse your rag/sponge, then use Leather Therapy Conditioner/Restorer. This is the only product on the market now proven to inhibit mold growth. I used this on my saddle after it went fuzzy this summer in storage and I haven't seen any mold since!
    a horseless canuck...

We live near the sea, and take it from me, leather can get moldy quickly, but if it's good quality leather and the problem is dealt with promptly, there are no lasting effects (though the mold can and very well may return from time to time).

My favorite remedy is old fashioned Lysol spray--the kind that kills mold and mildew. Use a rag to clean the mold off the surface, then spray the leather and rub it in. Do this once or twice, then clean as per normal.

We just did this on a saddle that has been in a tack trunk for a mere week during hurricane Sandy, we didn't get much rain, but the air was moist enough and the environment in the trunk apparently was ideal for mold.

Not a disaster, just don't let it get away! (Toss the rag in the washer with bleach or it will just spread the spores further!)

1 members found this post helpful.

TAKE PICTURES FIRST.

Try to clean the saddle. If all the mold comes out and the saddle is as was depicted/described in the listing, keep it and say no more.

If the saddle does not come clean, give the seller an opportunity to allow you to return it and if she refuses, file a dispute.

1 members found this post helpful.

Personally I would just clean it and if there is no permanent damage I wouldn't take it up with seller.
    And vinegar kills mold amazingly well and as long as you don't soak the saddle in it it shouldn't damage it! Then just condition with a good quality leather conditioner.

Where was it coming from? If it was from one of the hurricane-affected states along the Eastern seaboard, I'd be pretty sympathetic—who knows what our mail has been through during the last week?

It came from Texas, so I don't believe it was in any rainy conditions. I did decide to give it a vinegar bath, and I'm going to pick up some leather CPR today. I hope I can keep the mold away, because I do like the saddle. Seller has not responded since I mentioned I have pictures, etc.

The mold happens. Especially being stuck in a box for some time while shipping. Leather needs to be in a well ventilated area and an area without any dampness.

Soft leathers are especially prone for some reason.

Like another said, wipe it off with a damp cloth and clean with leather soap and follow with conditioner.

A cotton sheet or saddle cover will help prevent this in the future.

Mold can happen overnight in the right conditions (I have seen this during times of high humidity in a tack locker). Probably not the sellers fault--if the tack is damaged after you clean it, talk with the seller about dealing with the shipping company.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

I've seen my leather halter go from normal to totally green in a matter of days, when the weather's particularly gunky. I've used rags soaked with plain white vinegar does a good job of removing mold. Put the saddle out in the sun for a couple of hours if you can, then just finish with your favorite conditioner.

Mold spores can never be gotten completely rid of. You can treat it, though. As long as you like the saddle, use a product like Leather Therapy to keep the mold at bay.
    Maybe the seller will issue some sort of partial refund??
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight