The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horsie Homemade Christmas Ornaments

Does anyone have any cute Christmas Ornament projects that you would care to share? Photos? Instructions?

I have also looked at Etsy for ornaments to buy but not found much.

We, we're two warmbloods, bought a very nice horse ornament from cother Starhouse to give to Eleanor for Xmas. Starhouse has it on her blog, still, we think. She makes them to look just like your horse. Or in this case, just like Eleanor's horse.
    PM Starhouse and ask her to show you pix of the horse head that we sent Eleanor.

Also, we warmbloods recommend the sun catcher that is made by eventgroupie2 another cother. It can be displayed year round. We had one made by her for Eleanor, and it's super. She has a website where you can see some items. And she can show you the one she made of Eleanor's horse.

Both Starhouse and eventgroupie2 were so great to make these items so we could send them to Eleanor. Of course now the customs guys have them, so we hope they get to Vancouver Island soon.

We warmbloods think it would be great if owners would sculpt apples and carrots for our ornaments to hang on our stalls. We don't know why anyone would suspect that we'd eat them.

I have a LOT of used horse shoes that have been scrubbed clean and varnished or whatever you call when you apply a clear coat. We used them as decorations at our wedding this year with colored ribbon strung through the nail holes..

I am going to run to a knick knack store and find little bells, and string them on the shoes with plaid and red/green ribbon, other little holiday do-hickeys as well. Sprigs of holly berries? Mistletoe? All plastic, natch. Add some picture wire so they can be hung, and voila, ornaments!!
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I used to have a recipe for apple sauce, cinnamon, and....i think that was it? You mixed it together and made a paste, then poured them into cookie cutters for a mold, and let them dry. I think we baked them (not the plastic cookie cutters!)..
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home D├ęcor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

I made some kind of Dough(bread I think), google bread dough ornaments. I cut them out like sugar cookies with a horse shaped cutter and painted as I saw fit.

Good luck
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

I went to the craft store and bought photo frame ornaments, cut pictures of my horses to fit, backed them with acid free paper, tied bows with curling ribbon and hung them on my tree. Every year I am reminded of the ones who are no longer with me in life but always with me in my heart.
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

My trainer is the BEST When it comes to ornaments. Each year, every kid (of any age) who rides with her gets an ornament. They are all personalized with our horse and/or colors and/or something special for us. We've gotten glass ornaments with photos inside like a snow globe, mini dress sheets with the horse's name on one side and ours on the other, little sculpey ornaments of our horses and us (complete with my jumper's crazy forelock!), grooming boxes, apples with a portrait of our horse on the side, etc.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by Over the Hill View Post
    I went to the craft store and bought photo frame ornaments, cut pictures of my horses to fit, backed them with acid free paper, tied bows with curling ribbon and hung them on my tree. Every year I am reminded of the ones who are no longer with me in life but always with me in my heart.
    Love this idea. There are a lot of cute frame ornaments at Target, etc. that I could also use instead of making them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    My trainer is the BEST When it comes to ornaments. Each year, every kid (of any age) who rides with her gets an ornament. They are all personalized with our horse and/or colors and/or something special for us. We've gotten glass ornaments with photos inside like a snow globe, mini dress sheets with the horse's name on one side and ours on the other, little sculpey ornaments of our horses and us (complete with my jumper's crazy forelock!), grooming boxes, apples with a portrait of our horse on the side, etc.
    What did the grooming box ornaments look like? Were they homemade and easy to reproduce?