The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

no, but my education and degree are necessary for my current career- it's just sort of an alternative track to what I was aiming at when I started out.

At 23 I'm not sure where I'll end up yet.

But I do think it's a little funny that several people thought they would work in horses and now do not, where I might be going the other way. As the once a week lesson kid most of my life, I knew I didn't have the skills to train. Well that's still true, but several opportunities for a well paying job at a new equestrian center (management and maybe beginning teaching, no upper level training) should be opening up in 3-5 years and my name is already in the mix. So now I've been a working student on the side and volunteering at a non-profit barn as well as seeking out other barn management opportunities to make sure my résumé is where it needs to be come hiring time.

I still have my degree (Outdoor Leadership, so not super discipline specific) and am open to other jobs that pay the bills. But 5 years ago, I would have never guessed my goal would be to become employed in the horse industry (my dream, maybe, but never my goal).
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

Nope. I have an AAS Equine Studies degree. My plan was to be the BM of a large farm. Was injured towards the end of finishing my degree. So had to opt for a desk job since my injuries keep me from doing heavy manual labor.

Now I'm an administrator at a large company. Been doing this kind of work for about 15 years or so. It pays for the "pony" so at least I still get to "be in horses" but on a hobby level.

Ha, I was in the wishful pro-rider/trainer group, too. My engineering degree was supposed to be Plan B. I figured I'd work a while, get myself a savings built up, and go from there. But it didn't work that way.

I do work as an engineer, though not in my degreed field. I have a BSChE but actually do mechanical engineering.

With a science degree, you could teach. Most teachers I know are not entirely happy due to working evironment (kid/discipline issues and politics). There is the possibility of teaching junior college or college level. As an engineer, I have to suggest that adding an engineering degree to your science degree would probably not be difficult for you to achieve if you didn't mind a bit more school.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Well I am not that far off- wanted to train and teach and I do some of both currently. I was doing it pretty much full time but got hurt. Now I do work in the horse industry, although it's a desk job 75% of the time and I had no idea that photography would play into it all.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I wanted to be just about anything growing up but I think the highlights were FBI Agent, lawyer, and novelist (I'm still holding on to that one). In college, I majored in history and English/Creative Writing and thought I'd go into advertising or marketing or maybe become a college professor. Then I found out about historic preservation and decided that was it for me. I got a master's in heritage preservation, and, while I enjoyed cultural resource management, realized there wasn't much of a future in it and that I could have gone to grad school for anything because I really just love learning, particularly research and writing. All along, my mother has been telling me she saw me at a thinktank, but who listens to their mom? Eventually, I did, and I researched what working in a thinktank would entail and discovered it fit the bill perfectly. Behold the powers of the all-knowing mom.

So, almost two months ago, I packed up all my stuff, rounded up my savings, and moved from Atlanta to Washington, D.C. without any job prospects, but with lots of friends who had couches I could surf. I'm still unemployed, but working hard to find a job in the policy sector (and as a kid I said I'd never ever work in politics ever....lol), preferably as a legislative aide (but the process to do so is mystifying). My end goal dream job is as a research fellow at a prestigious thinktank. Fingers crossed.

In college, thought of being a paralegal; Social Work, Social Science Major, then the economy tanked. Started working in a pre-school. That led to becoming a teacher-31 years now. Always wanted to become a trainer-with my own barn, but that never happened. Now I ride for fun and experience, and teach 7th graders Language Arts.
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

I was amongst the many that wanted to be a trainer/pro too. Went to school for Animal Science with a minor in Equine Science, decided I didn't need a degree to train horses and slacked off for a couple semesters. Watched my GPA sink ever lower until I decided I didn't want to turn my hobby into a career and applied to my college's nursing school. My GPA kept me from getting in, and I took a semester off and switched to Psychology. Now I'll be graduating soon and am looking to get my Masters and eventually a PhD in Clinical Psych. I've been interning at a drug treatment facility and absolutely love it and plan to work there when I get my BA!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I do exactly what I've wanted to do since I was a little kid: teaching. 20 years of middle school and I love every minute of it. Well..okay...that's an exaggeration! I do love my job--challenging, exciting, entertaining and fun.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Sort of. Always wanted to write/do something with books. Went to grad school, but decided right now is probably not the wisest time to be in academia in the humanities! Now I work for a private company as a librarian.

Not at all. I knew from about 15 I would never have the talent to make it with horses as a career so instead set my sights on business -- expected to be an entrepreneur (like my dad) or work in consulting (can you tell I like problem solving/risk?) Was accepted into the undergrad Commerce program at my school but my Dad convinced me to "do what I enjoy" for undergrad because I'd just be doing it all over again with an MBA otherwise so I opted to stay in the Arts and graduated with a dual degree in Economic and Political Science. Graduated saying "never ever ever will I do another Economics degree" -- a year later I was starting my Msc. Economics. Finishing that it was "ok I'm done with academica, never ever ever am I doing another degree" -- 6 months later I started my Phd in Economics.

So here I am...doing a PhD (at least it's salaried!) As I focus on projects in third world countries it has a lot of the management, problem solving, and leadership qualities that made entrepreneurship so enticing. So far really happy! I keep saying that I don't want to stay in academia and I have no interest in becoming a Prof...but well...we've all heard my "never ever ever" comments so I'm pretty open minded and staying flexible with my future! 4 years is a long time for new opportunities to pop up!

So not really doing what I imagined but definitely still followed the same underlying concepts (leadership, project management, etc)

Default Not at all

I went to undergrad for biopsychology. Thought I would be a clinical psychologist/researcher. I worked in a mental institution with very sick people and realized I couldn't take the emotional toll. Took the LSAT but it was too late to go right after college so I worked for a lawyer. Hated it! It was too conservative and pretty boring and a lot of time reading and reviewing documents. Which isn't bad for someone if they loved the law like I loved biopsych. The lawyer I worked for was a corporate attorney and I LOVED the businesses we worked with so I got my MBA. Now at almost 31 I am an IT management consultant and I love my job. I found a small firm so I don't have to travel like other consultants, I get paid really well and I am challenged all the time. My advice reall is to find one thing about whatever you're doing that you like and build on that. That is what I did. I never thought this is where I would be but I'm very happy. Not to mention with my skill set I can go and do a lot of things which makes me feel pretty secure.

I got a Bachelors in Accounting. That's the last thing I ever thought I'd be doing when I graduated from high school. I wanted to do Animal Science, History or Psychology.

History is what I really wanted to do. While everyone else sat in college history bored to death during an hour long lecture, I enjoyed every minute of it. I've been that way since junior high. To this day I love history and have had the money from a good salary to afford to travel and experience historical places for myself. But a history degree is almost useless in this economy. I resigned myself to letting that be a passion I could explore on my free time instead of paying tons of money in the hopes I could make a career out of it.

I've always loved horses, of course. I wanted to do Animal Science with a masters in Equine Nutrition. But there was no way I could afford to do that as the closest school (Texas A&M) pretty much requires that you become a full time student and live in a middle of nowhere college town. I had no help from my parents and didn't want to go into massive debt so that was out of the question.

I love abnormal psychology and you can get a bachelor's at practically any school. But the bachelor's degree is essentially useless by itself and would require at least a masters to do anything in the actual field of psychology. The closest masters program for Psychology in a public university was again, in a middle of nowhere college town called Huntsville, TX.

I was forced to choose a business major once I got past the prerequisites that I could take at community college as I worked a regular office job the entire way through college and did not live with my parents. I went to a public University with a business school designed for working students so I was able to finish even my last semester at night.

I eventually settled on accounting because I'm good at it, I do somewhat enjoy it, it pays well and there are tons of job opportunities. I really stumbled upon it out of necessity but I realize now that it's what I was meant to do. I already had the work experience when I graduated because I'd been doing varying amounts of accounting the entire way through school (which took me 8 years, so glad that's over). But I graduated less than a year ago and have no school debt.

Nope! I started college 4 years ago thinking that I would be going to grad school by now, I REALLY wanted to go into equine exercise physiology and work with racehorses. Now I'm going for some sort of classics & art history degrees...with my sights set on editor stuff. I need an 8-5, M-F job because I really just want horses and need money to get there.

Yes and No...

As a teenager I wanted to be a nurse. I got EMT certified first to make sure that I could handle it. Well..I am glad that I did that. I couldn't handle the stuff that comes out of the body with sick, hurt, or maimed bodies. Many times hurled.

I kind of fell into what I do now. I have been a application developer for many years. Worked my way up from junior develeper(slave) to senior. Got a couple of applications pushed through out the DoN. Now I am working on a whole different level of software. I am dealing with lisencing and blanket purchase aggreements. My techie brain is used a bit..but is using more from graduate school. I deal with customers daily who are either very tech savy or email challenged. Today I am doing an audit from the last 3 months of purchases looking to make sure what was quoted, purchased, and paid for matches.

I develop internal processes for handling the massive amounts of data that comes in daily. The BPA's are great in theory but the upper DoN management didn't think things through very well. My job is to patch it and send it back up the chain for other commands to use. IF you didn't have the right personality it would boring.

I have a BS Business Administration and a MS Management.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

Another no, but happy to say that a good education is applicable to many professions. I graduated with a history degree and really thought I wanted to be a medieval historian. Tried grad school but realized it was going to be a very rough time making a living. So I got a job as an insurance agent! I was horrible at selling, but I understood insurance very well. I ended up working for an insurance company, then had the chance to run a major professional association's insurance programs. Then I went back to working for a big general agency as running its risk management education programs. I even added working as an insurance enroller (i.e. explaining not selling insurance to people). About 5 years ago I moved into the education arena as the director of a non-profit medical education company. But I still have my licenses and I'm thinking now that the Affordable Care Act is going forward, I wouldn't mind working as part of a health exchange or explaining how the programs work.

I still love medieval history but insurance has paid for the comfortable life I have, as well as supported a farm filled with Fjords. I would have been appalled if anyone told me that I would work in insurance when I was in college.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com