The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dropping off cats -- Happy update post 8

Last night I went out to feed -- lo and behold, an adorable sweet kitten was waiting for me, probably 4 months old. She jumped right on my lap to get petted. I went to the house and brought her some food, of which she ate an incredible amount. I left food and set out a cooler for her to sleep on.

This is the fourth friendly cat someone has dropped on me in the last 2 years. I kept one (already had two) and rehomed the rest but my kitty-rehoming possibilities are pretty much exhausted. What is wrong with people? I can't bear to take her to the shelter, she's too sweet. But she can't stay.... So if anyone in/near Indiana wants a cute, friendly brindle cat...

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...r&notif_t=like

Finally, PLEASE SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS!!!!! I know I'm preaching to the choir here but it makes me so angry. She's obviously been raised in a loving home and now, dumped off to starve or get eaten by the coyote that lives on my farm too. I can't bring her in as my older female has made clear that new cats are NOT welcome.
    Last edited by fordtraktor; Nov. 8, 2012 at 09:47 AM.

She's super cute! I'll keep my fingers crossed that she finds a home quickly.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I do a lot of rescue, and at least every week I shake my head, wondering what is wrong with people? They move and leave their cats standing on the porch, or dump them in feral colonies, or in fields, and sometimes in the middle of the road. Last weekend at our Sunday adoption someone came in with a five week old kitten in a box, found in their yard. This kitten wasn't feral; I'm sure she was dumped. I don't know how people sleep at night, or how they can walk away from a hungry, shivering cat who doesn't understand. Yesterday they had a full belly and they were warm, and today they are in the middle of nowhere, hungry and cold.

Your kitten is beautiful. Bless you for taking her in and helping her find a home.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I am not looking, I am not looking, I live WAY too close and have too many cats to look...but if someone wants her and is in the SW Mich area or points north on 131, I'm in fordtraktor's neighborhood at least once a week and could easily enable with a transport...

Thanks, danceronice! You met my last stray, the FIV+ who is now happy in a new home. This one is just as sweet and cute.

We get 'em too

Seven cats in eight years have mysteriously showed up at the barn... skinny, starving and sweet. One we saw through a litter of kittens.

We've gotten them all spayed and rabies vaccinated. Fed them. Loved them. Had two in for surgery even (post enemy bite).

I, too, can't bear to take them to the shelter, so they become barn cats with benefits

Alas, there's a few individuals down the street who have a penchant for acquiring unneutered, semi-feral males and then they roam up to us to attack our girls, spray everywhere and wreak havoc. Those I have no heart for. Mr. ChocoMare has put two under the manure pile already and the barn manager has taken care of a third. If they won't neuter them, we will--permanently.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

He was cute! I'm glad you found someone to take him in. I've got four (the barn-dumpee and the porch cat plus the original two) but I'm always down in Mishawaka and I'm usually headed up north at least once or twice a month--I can always transport a kitty! (Heck, I'd try to nag my dance teacher so it would be a short trip, but they have a new baby and a newish marmalade cat from St Joe Co. HS, so probably no room there, either. Old boss lost THEIR cat, but I don't think they're emotionally ready for a new one yet...)

I can't see the picture, and its probably a good thing, because I'm a sucker for kittens. If I saw her, I'd probably want her. I hope you find a home for her soon!

UPDATE -- kitten has a home! And is getting an appointment with the spay clinic!
    Last edited by fordtraktor; Nov. 8, 2012 at 09:38 AM.

4 members found this post helpful.

Yay, great news, and a lucky kitten!
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

i totally feel your pain. at this point my mom has 5 house cats and over sixty (no exaggeration! i've counted O_o) barn cats. of course this is on a 175 acre farm, but still. people just drop them off and they become, as someone said, barn cats with benefits. i think that is so cute, btw. i really just don't understand how people can do that! the saddest ones are the ones that just come running up to you, crying, like, you're a person, take care of me! luckily my mom and the property owner take good care of them. my mom is definitely the crazy cat lady, haha. i live in the city now and i'm taking my first crop of ferals to be spayed this weekend. O_o i feed way too many of them as it is. trying not to follow in my mom's footsteps.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

Yeah, "Barn Cats with Benefits" -- while they live at the barn, they're not ignored or given second shrift on food, etc. We arrange/build warm spots for them to hunker down in during the cold & wet. Get them spayed (we prefer females). Get them vaccinated. Deworm. Flea treat. Love on and play with. Only one shows her gratitude tho via wee-ex-rodents left lovingly in front of the tack closet

We do have our limits tho. Three is enough for now.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

They show up regularly here too. We just had an addition but lost one earlier in the year, so we're holding steady at eight.

My vet's office uses sequential letters to identify each animal and I am going to run out! (I asked. They just start over with AA, AB, etc.)
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

We just found a likely "drop off" kitten/young cat at the barn where I board last night. She was STARVING, wet, and scared. I think she will be a nice cat if she can get over the traumatic situation she was in. She was friendly/unafraid enough to let me touch her briefly while she was eating the food I gave her.

I love cats, and I can't understand why anyone would just dump one when they could instead take the cat to a shelter. I can't think of a worse fate for a cat than to starve to death, freeze to death, or be eaten by a wild animal.