The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Half-chaps suggestions

Time for me to buy a new pair of 1/2 chaps and not very happy to do so. I've only owned Tredsteps and Bevals Puissance 1/2 chaps (too expensive for me now!). Tredsteps have always been my go-to buy, but the snaps ALWAYS break it seems. I'm still not opposed to buying another pair though...Just curious what people love and seem to hold up well. I'm tough on my equipment and don't really take the best care of some things...

Thanks in advance!!!

I love Grand Prix half chaps. They hold up (I ride 10 horses per day, 6 days a week) and they fit me like a glove!

ETA: These are them. Smartpak doesn't carry them fyi
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/grand-p...zhpareyduphcyj
    Life is short, ride the best horse first.

Reading reviews, it does sound like the GPs are very durable. Which ones do you have?

These are them. Smartpak doesn't carry them fyi
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/grand-p...zhpareyduphcyj[/QUOTE]
    Life is short, ride the best horse first.

I have Ariat Monacos and I love love love them! I initially bought them because my Monaco tall boots broke (broken zipper) and I wanted to be able to substitute in a half chap if necessary at a show. They're much beefier and sturdier than the boots and I couldn't love them more. I'm on year 2 (? I think, maybe year 3?) of riding 3-4 horses a day in them and they're still in perfect condition. When they die I'll be buying another pair for sure. I like that they look like tall boots too, and have worn them for many clinics and shows in less-than-ideal weather.

In the past I've had Grand Prixes (always love them), Tredsteps (liked them), Lendes (super cheap off of TOTD and loved them), and several other versions of the Ariats. The Monacos leave them all in the dust. With that being said, breaking them in was similar to breaking in tall boots because the leather was stiffer and they required the "bathtub method" (well, really I soaked them with a hose a few times). I also bought them like I would a tall boot....super tight so that they would mold around my legs. I didn't go through that process with any other half chaps. In addition, they zip up the back bottom to top, which many people are not fans of.

I have lived in my GP's, they do stretch a lot, so make sure the fit TIGHT when you buy them, but I love them.

Love my ProChaps. They fit like a glove and are comfortable. I've had them 2+ years now and are still in great shape, and I, admittedly, am not very nice to them.

I think everyone in our barn has the Ariat close-contact half chaps. I absolutely love mine- when I wore through my last pair (after years), I got a pair of tredsteps and hated them... as soon as the snap broke I went right back to the close contacts.

They aren't quite as pretty as PNW's monaco's, but everyone asks me if they are tall boots, and one of my barnmates actually shows in hers in the jumpers... with a pair of spurs, you can't tell they aren't tall boots.

The only downfall to them is they zip up the back bottom-to-top. My first pair was hard to get done up the first dozen times or so. This pair is much easier, and they still fit like a glove.

I have had good luck with my Tredsteps.

I love my Ariat half chaps. They are extremly comfortable and very durable.

I used to be an Ariat girl, but lately their sizes don't line up with my calves--mostly too tall. Honestly, the longest-lasting pair was my suede Perri's that I got off Amazon for less than $50! Nicely-styled and good-fitting. They make leather ones too. I just got a pair of leather Ovations that fit like a glove. Not sure how long the zipper will last. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

I have a pair of Grand Prix's that are now in serious need of re-stitching. They held up through years of abuse but now are essentially coming apart along the insides of each calf. However, it's entirely fixable, which is a good thing.

I love that they're soft and therefore super comfy, and they're really beautiful as well. However, do absolutely make sure that they fit TIGHT--mine just fit when I got them and stretched out enough that they fit loosely, which is a bummer.

Just a thought, but...can you get a cobbler to fix and reinforce the snaps on your Tredsteps?

I love my tread step half chaps! Have had them for years!

Love my grand prix half chaps. I have the all leather ones without the stretch panel.

I ordered a pair of GP Leather 1/2 chaps. I hope for $180 they last!! I did love my Tredsteps but wanted to try something new. Will let you buys know what my 1st impression is!