The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The gullets in older saddles

I picked up an older cc saddle to try (a Stackhouse) and it seems nice but the gullet concerns me. It tapers in the back to where it seems to be barely on either side of my horse's spine which seems really close. On the test ride saddle pad dirt marks are on the back third (although I pull up the pad in the pommel area, but not the back...).

Do you think a lot of older saddle gullets just don't have enough spine clearance?

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeMorgan View Post

Do you think a lot of older saddle gullets just don't have enough spine clearance?
    depends on the horse but yes ...
    depending on the panel construction, this can sometimes be altered, so if you love everything else about the saddle, discuss this with a saddle expert (Stackhouse should be able to tell you about the construction & fit details of the saddle & offer a quote on the panel refit)

On the test ride saddle pad dirt marks are on the back third (although I pull up the pad in the pommel area, but not the back...).
    start with a clean horse & look for sweat pattern not dirt

Fairly common in older saddle (and many newer ones too!). See this article:
    http://lorienstable.com/articles/z-f...let_clearance/

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    depends on the horse but yes ...
    depending on the panel construction, this can sometimes be altered, so if you love everything else about the saddle, discuss this with a saddle expert (Stackhouse should be able to tell you about the construction & fit details of the saddle & offer a quote on the panel refit)

start with a clean horse & look for sweat pattern not dirt
    I said dirt pattern because it is cold enough that he didn't sweat much, even under the saddle-and too cold to be very clean either.

You can use a dry cleaning product for horses to clean the saddle area, assuming horse is unclipped, just work hard enough to get a good,solid sweat pattern
    - I checked Northern Kentucky weather conditions online & it seems well above freezing ...

Without a sweat pattern, just go by feel: try to assess tree angles & where the points lie on the horse, check wither & back of saddle clearance while riding at WTC: video can be a great visualizer if you don't have a coach or knowledgeable friend etc.
    If you lack video (camera or operator), lunge the horse in the saddle at WTC & watch shoulder flex/freedom & air space between saddle & horse - yes, it changes with a rider in the saddle, but often a saddle that fits poorly sans rider, becomes a modified version of the same with rider.

Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    Fairly common in older saddle (and many newer ones too!). See this article:
    http://lorienstable.com/articles/z-f...let_clearance/
    That's a good article and expresses my concern as well. The saddle on his back looks very much like that picture.

Not sure I would want to put that much into the saddle for a panel refit.