The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tragedy - how to set up a charitable fund for family with special needs?

A long story short: a friend of mine was killed in a car accident last night, leaving her husband and young children. Two sons have Autism, and their father will definitely need help to care for his family without her. He has only modest means and the church will be there to help, but we friends want to help, too.

I am at a complete loss. I have never had to do such a thing in my life - is there anyone able to help point me in the right direction to help ensure this family gets the help it needs in the future, with setting up a Special Needs Trust, maybe, or something like that?

People - go hug your families. Talk to your friends. Go out with your spouse. Life is far, far, too short.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I'm so sorry.

I know when a family friend of my parents' lost her husband in a boating accident and was left with 2 babies, there was a bank account set up that allowed donations, and after the story ran in the local paper they family did get a bunch of donations. But I don't know exactly how the mechanics worked.