The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default salaries and benefits: how do I change from corporate work to being a barn manager?

Just wondering as I may be striking up a deal soon--

How are barn managers paid?

~A manager who is to take care of the horse portion of the family farm during the weekdays. Long term position. General horse care + fitness riding for the competition horses + other farm work.
    Sometimes rolling over to the weekends. Taking the family kids and friends to pony club rallies or HTs.
    I bet it would end up including other things the family needs. They are very very busy and have A LOT going on.
    Almost like a farm governess.

For instance~
    salaries:
    benefits
    retirenment
    savings

Can/Do the farms provide a W2 type of tax form?

If you are a barn manager what type of system do you follow?
    I have not held a job where I needed to take care of those aspects myself. I've always worked for corporations.

I've also recently started a jump building bizz--maybe I should make it official and then lump the above type of manager job and my own bizz all into one shah-bang? and then file myself and provide myself with benefits and ROTH funds and such...

I have no idea.
    I'm clueless.

I had planned on going back to school for a quick certification and then getting another job in the health care industry. But now, with this proposal looming I'm tempted to dump the health care... Farm work is what I really love. I don't want to just ride or just build....I like to do it all. And I like to be outside rolling in the dirt.

I'm super excited. And super scared.

: )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Get thee a financial planner who specializes in self-employed individuals. They do this for a living.

And good luck!
    Click here before you buy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, you will get a W2, and you should get Workmen's-- those should be nonnegotiable. Everything else is sort of up in the air-- I buy my own insurance, am responsible for my own IRA etc. The benefits I get are housing and field board for my horses.

It will depend a lot on the farm/owners. With my current position, I receive a W2 and WC, etc. I get a stipend above my taxable income for health insurance. I also receive housing, board for both boys (Toby has a stall, Neigh lives out), 10 days of vacation, and sick pay (I'm assuming and can't remember what my contract says!...last week was the first time I've ever NOT been able to at least gimp through a day!). I also get use of the truck and trailer and am allowed and encouraged to compete, as long as I work out coverage when I'm not around. I don't have any sort of retirement...and since I've never worked in the cooperate world, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around stuff like that!

My last job I also received a W2 plus WC and had similar benefits (stipend for health insurance, board for Toby, a housing allowance).

Before that, things were sketchier, but I got a lot of non-traditional benefits for being stupidly loyal to the trainer I worked for (entry fees, some vet bills, he gave me Vernon, a couple of vacations that were paid for....). NOT how it should be done, and I would not go back to that lifestyle, but it was worth it to me at the time (and that is exactly why, when s**t hit the fan at my last job, why the trainer and I agreed not to go back to our old arrangement and sadly went our separate ways).

I think at a minimum you need a W2 and WC. Preferably, health insurance, too.

1 members found this post helpful.

Every deal is different....I'm a BO. BM positions around here pay $350-600 per week depending on the other benefits. Most do not have health care. Most are 5 1/2 to 6 days a week. Most have 1-2 weeks paid vacation a year. Hours per day and flexibility of work and type of work will vary.

You should fill out a W-2 and the employer will have to pay WC.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

A W-2 will vary if you are considered and employee of or an independent contractor for the BO. If not, you would do a 1099 and there wouldn't be benefits tied to it as you aren't an employee.

I ran a barn but I leased it and so had no benefits, etc. through an employer as I was the business owner. I LOVED it but couldn't have survived without my spouse's benefits and income.

You do have the benefit of the ACA hitting in 2014 to take care of the healthcare (purportedly). In my area, it seems most of the barn managers are leasing the property and are themselves the employers.

Interesting.

Ya, it doesn't sound like managing a barn pays for much. 600 bucks a week is pretty slim pickins.
    Shoot, I don't pay for rent or board and I was just making ends meet on 40K.

I need to get young horse sales up and rolling. I need to do sooo many things!!
    : D
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    Interesting.

Ya, it doesn't sound like managing a barn pays for much. 600 bucks a week is pretty slim pickins.

Nope...it really doesn't pay. Most include housing and board for a horse and as long as there is flexibility and time to build you own business on the side, it can be ok. Just not going to get rich doing it.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    Interesting.

Yeah, it doesn't pay well. My advice (as having been there and done that in my younger day--not that I'm old. I'm only 40, but started as a "pro" right out of high school) is stick with healthcare, get your own place, and run your own business(es). When you are well established, then ditch the healthcare job if you want. Most BM jobs, you don't really end up with much time to yourself to develop those side businesses, especially if you live on site.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow