The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help Please. Rates for day care and training fees

Can anyone advise the going rate for day care at local shows and rated A shows?

Also trainer fee (nonriding trainer) for local, unrated show, versus, an A show?

We are not talking Wellington

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

By day care you mean grooming? I would say $50 or more for each, plus a tip for the groom. For a given trainer I have always paid the same rate for each whether we are talking Thermal or local/unrated.

Many barns have rate sheets on their web sites.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Beenthere View Post
    Can anyone advise the going rate for day care at local shows and rated A shows?

Also trainer fee (nonriding trainer) for local, unrated show, versus, an A show?

We are not talking Wellington
    Trainer charges same fee for local, unrated, and A shows but A shows involve more expenses as below:

$50/day training fee for all shows

$15/day feed, water, pick stall for multiple day rated or unrated show
    $25 set up fee "

Anything else you don't want to do yourself to prepare for show or at show (i.e. mane pulling, body clipping, unbraiding, bathing) you would be charged additional.
    Last edited by Soaponarope; Jan. 4, 2016 at 03:24 AM. Reason: clarity

Why not simply ask your trainer what their fees are?

Are you trying to determine if their fees are what you consider unreasonable?

This is a question without an answer ---- too much variation.

Day care: from $35 - 150
    Training at shows: From 0 (for horses in full time training) to $150/day to per class riding/training fee (from $35 - $100/class.)
    "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

1 members found this post helpful.

Training per day: $75 per competition day, with no additional charge for schooling of riders (and if need be, training ride of the horses) the day before the show starts. On competition days, riders get flatwork lesson/schooling O/F for as many classes as they have entered, for that fixed fee.

Day Care for Horses: Includes all set-up and break-down of show stabling & tack/grooming stalls, and all horse care incl. feed, water, mucking, bandaging as necessary, etc. $35/day for local or pre-circuit shows, and $50 for WEF/Tryon, etc.

Trainers work just as hard and as many hours at non WEF shows so their actual fees are generally not going to differ too much from show to show. A lesson is a lesson and training ride a training ride anywhere...some do charge more for those services at shows then at home but it's at any away, not just the big ones.

Those trainer fees depend on the trainers skill and reputation, we can't tell you much specifically because there is no standard and it differs from region to region due to cost of living and operating the business in their area. What one persons trainer charges has nothing to do with what another persons trainer halfway across the country charges.

Daycare can be all over the place depending on local charges for feed/bedding et al. as well as what each trainer sets based on their operation.

You did not mention it but additional charges are incurred for trainers hotel, meals, shared feed and groom stalls and other expenses that are split among clients. Transportation for the horse too, pay trainer or commercial hauler or buy your own rig.

You need to ask your trainer what they charge. Or look at websites for barns that do provide a rate sheet for all expenses. Many barns do list those these days.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I was asking because we have very local, unrated shows, where trainers hang a shingle, despite never having accomplished much on their own skills. I am hearing the trainers feel they are worth $150.00 to train per day for a kid to do three classes and expect almost the same amount for day care for the horse per day. I know I have been out of it a bit but those numbers feel insane for people without credentials. I guess I was wondering what the going rate is these days

I guess I was wondering what the going rate is these days
    You would be better off comparing with other facilities in your area. Knowing what I might pay several states away will do you no good.

I know that price ($150.00) for just the trainer for the day is more than I would pay at that level, but then, that is not the going rate in my neck of the woods. Closer to NYC that might be reasonable (I do not know this, just saying that things are priced very differently down that way).

Why not call around and ask various facilities what they charge for lessons, leasing, show day fees, etc.?

I was asking because we have very local, unrated shows, where trainers hang a shingle, despite never having accomplished much on their own skills. I am hearing the trainers feel they are worth $150.00 to train per day for a kid to do three classes and expect almost the same amount for day care for the horse per day. I know I have been out of it a bit but those numbers feel insane for people without credentials. I guess I was wondering what the going rate is these days
    That seems steep, at least in my area. My trainer charges $55 per day for training, not including pro-rides. $25 a day for feed/water/mucking, additional fees for braiding, bathing, clipping, etc. Same for local or A shows.

So you are saying the trainers are charging $300/day for a schooling show?

You say you are hearing this. Are you sure the rumor is true?

Oh, yeah, it's true. But they don't stay in business very long or doom themselves to a handful of transient clients at the lowest levels if other entry level trainers of similar talent or lack thereof charge less for exactly the same services and results or lack thereof.

They mainly exsist off of noobs who eventually start finding out what others are paying to trot a lame horse around the crossrails on the wrong diagonal for a year. Or more.

I learned not to devote too much attention to what others pay their trainer years ago. Doesn't do you any good...they become more defensive of their decision to stay with them if you say anything and get more determined to prove you wrong. Just like people with unsuitable horses for delusional expectations.

In that way, the market is sort of self policing, even if it takes awhile.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

$50 day fee per day for trainer per horse
    $50 groom fee per day per horse

This includes any pro rides needed

A shows; medium sized local show barn

double post

A trainer took a pony of mine to a show. I agreed to cover all costs for the kid to show it and I paid her $100 per day for day care (note the kid tacked up and bathed pony, cleaned her own tack, etc, and the show drops feed) and training. She was offended and told me that the "other" trainers get $150.00 for each task. I too thought it steep for a schooling show of a very basic level.