The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yes, from Poco King Obsession to Nuclear Scintillation.

AQHA.

Didn't want anybody to think he was Impressive bred. And he wasn't. Big giant tall hunk of a horse, but no Impressive lines at all.

Was easy to do. He was gelded and I sent in the paperwork to show he had been gelded, transfer his name, and transfer to my name. Amazing nothing got messed up.

I would do again if I didn't like the name of the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    i am considering it.... altho i like my ponies name, combined with his farm name it is a bit unwieldy -

Windy Isles Island Rebel

if i change it i have to keep the Windy Isles part - but to me he is Rebel....... but it's a mouthful! Island Rebel would be great - but his registry wont let me drop the farm name (and i dont want to) ..... so ..... probably i will just show him under Rebel or Island Rebel..... which sucks because then he wont be able to get breed awards....
    Same registry.

When I bought Belle, she only had her temporary foal registration (she was 5 yo), under the name Morning Glory's Memphis Belle, with the barn name Belle.

The breeder had a theme, that year, of US WWII bombers.

I didn't like EITHER connotation, neither a rich southern lady nor a bomber that dropped an atomic bomb.

For her permanent registration, I changed her name to Morning Glory's Belle Fille, keeping her barn name the same.

I had to pay for the permanent registration, but there was no extra charge for changing the name. She is registered with both USEF and USEA with her full registered name, though most competitons shorten it (in the program and the announcer's sheet) as M.G Belle Fille.
    Last edited by Janet; Nov. 5, 2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: typo
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    most competitons shorten it (in the program and the announcer's sheet) as M.G Belle Fille.
    interesting.... maybe i could just keep it but when i show shorten it to WI Island Rebel.... i wonder if the registry would accept that?

I have changed two of mine. My mare's name was Wintery Smile, just couldn't stomach any of it. My gelding was Aspecial Pride, not as bad, but just didn't suite him. Our registry has changed the fee from $100 to $200 and the horse cannot have been shown or have any progeny. Thankfully these two were young and hadn't been shown or bred. I certainly consider names or whether they can be changed if I'm planning on showing and breeding a horse.

Hey rmh, you have a poco bred? I have a poco bred paint. . The best brain I've ever had in a horse!
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I did on my AQHA filly, right after I bought her as a yearling.

Breeder named her "MOMSBRANDEDWEISCAMP"

The significance of this to the breeder was that the dam was a branded mare from the Hank Weiscamp ranch.

I changed it to "Sheza Tricky Skipper" and that witch did have some tricks up her sleeve, it turned out.

In the Jockey Club it can be done easily if you don't mind shelling out $100 AND if the horse has never raced or been bred. Once they've raced they're pretty much stuck with that name for life....

I a big fan of showing under the registered name but the new OTTB I brought home last week is stuck with a name that I pretty much hate so we won't be using it. I have no intention of allowing her pedigree to "get lost" but I won't be using her registered name to show. There was another unraced mare I really wanted to buy (but the owner decided not to sell). I would have paid the $100 to change her name.

My BWP mare - I didn't love her name, but I didn't hate it either. She's always been shown under that name, in spite of the fact that it gets mispronounced every time.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

We never--EVER--showed our OTTBs with their JC names when I was showing a lot. The registered names were always terrible. I had a "Flim Flam Tax Man" that I showed as "Galileo."
    I don't think anyone went to the trouble of changing names with JC, though. Just wrote something better on show entries. "Points" were only a thing locally so no reason to spend the money.
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Ride on, ride on. All the bad things are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by sirensong4 View Post
    We never--EVER--showed our OTTBs with their JC names when I was showing a lot. The registered names were always terrible. I had a "Flim Flam Tax Man" that I showed as "Galileo."
    I don't think anyone went to the trouble of changing names with JC, though. Just wrote something better on show entries. "Points" were only a thing locally so no reason to spend the money.
    I think another part of it is that the Jockey Club is interested in racing and racing alone. You will not hear mention of the top dressage, eventing, jumper or hunter rock stars from the Jockey Club, and it has nothing to do with use or lack of use of the horse's registered names. The registry exists to produce race horses and our sport horse stars are byproducts to their industry. Not saying TBs don't have value as sport horses, and there are tons of people who will sing the praises of certain TB lines, but sadly it's not happening from within their own registry.

That being said, even when I "change the name" I try to keep easy access to bloodline information as an FYI for anyone else.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

I can see it both ways. Horse owners who want the freedom to do what they want, when they want with their purchase and the registries who are trying to maintain the integrity of what really amounts to a historical database of pedigree information. What would our 5 generation pedigrees look like if the trend was to freely change the horses registered name? Horses get passed around - if each owner wanted to put their own spin on their name - how do we accurately identify that horse and all phases of their identity on a pedigree? I think that is part of the hesitation on the part of the registries as well.
    This is a good point, and worth repeating

I breed Friesian Sporthorses -- a name change is only $35, but you can't change the name if the horse has any registered offspring. I think this is a fair policy.

I also personally wouldn't change the name of a horse with a show record. I've changed horse's names in the past, but they were youngsters with no show records and no offspring.
    River Oaks Farm - home of the Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse Grand Prix dressage stallion Lexington - sire of four consecutive FSA National Inspection Champions. Endorsing the FSA.

I can't say I've really been fond of all of my horses' registered names; but, out of respect for the breeder I have not chosen to change any of them. The prefix is the hallmark for a breeding program. As for unwieldy to pronounce, the breed I ride/show sounds like Klingon language if an announcer tries to do so but clearly cannot. I've shown in the same area for years and know the main announcers. I've let them know how the names are suppose to be pronounced and they are usually very grateful to know. I can tell you that having combed USDF data bases, USEA, USEF and show results from several shows over the years that having someone show under the horse's registered name does give credit to the bloodlines/breeding. For this reason, no matter how painful it is to have your horse's name slaughtered over the loud speaker I keep with the registered name so that it's there in the program and results. Over the last year or two people have even started recognizing relatives/siblings/horses from the same or similar bloodlines that I've shown because of this. Of course when I name what I produce I can't say that I'm any better at giving out names. Some others like and some, not so much. I don't worry about it too much but since there is a prefix I do try to keep it short; so that future owners will not be discouraged to follow tradition and what I consider proper etiquette for my breed.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm sorta surprised nobody has cited "bad luck" ... which is the only thing that worries me!

The horse has done one recognized show and it wasn't dressage. I intend to follow the stallion-first-letter rule, which is traditional in her sire's registry; however, she is not registered with the same organization and, as far as I can tell, there is no farm or breeder-specific designation. However, I will check personally since I think they should get a lot of credit for producing such a wonderful horse!

Please jingle for a smooth vet check.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Hey, if a feral chimp wants to work where's she supposed to go?

Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    I'm sorta surprised nobody has cited "bad luck" ... which is the only thing that worries me!
    The first year I tried to show my mare, I tried to get her to 8 or 9 different schooling shows. Something came up every single time so we couldn't go. The closest we got was loading up in the trailer for one show, but on the way there a storm (in the middle of Texas' historic drought, mind you) got so bad we had to turn back.

Over the winter, I changed her name.

This year, we made it to three schooling shows.

When I'm feeling superstitious, I either blame it on the first name choice entirely (it could have been taken to mean "never going to happen," although that's not the connotation I was thinking of when I picked it) or else go with the tried and true "change the name, change the luck" reasoning.

But clearly (or coincidentally) changing her name was good luck for us.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOaksFarm View Post
    I breed Friesian Sporthorses -- a name change is only $35, but you can't change the name if the horse has any registered offspring. I think this is a fair policy.
    This makes a lot of sense. You wouldn't want to have to re-issue papers for a zillion people whenever someone changes a name.

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    Hey, if a feral chimp wants to work where's she supposed to go?
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

If a name was really bad (like the "horny" one) I would change it. Otherwise I personally thinks it's tacky to change a horses name. You think the one you've chosen is better, but other people won't. Call them by a different barn name if you must.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I am starting to horseshop for a reined cowhorse, and I found a nice one! Well trained, great bloodlines, very pretty palomino and his name is .................Wormy Dog! LOL!! I would HAVE to change it! I cannot imagine having that name being called out when I enter the arena! Thankfully, my trainer is trying to work a deal for me on my dreamhorse so I won't need to worry about it!

I changed my horses registered name from Prokreat to Sahara Breeze. In the Arab registry you can't change a name once they have performance points. I decided if I ever showed him I was not going to get stuck with his horrid original name!

I had a mare named "Flizzard". Gawdawful name, but she had already had 4 foals under that name and was AHS registered, so I left it alone. She had a cute barn name from it though, "Fizz".

However my latest horse, that is ISR/Oldenburg reg, I bought as a 4yo with no show record, and I LOVED his registered name. However, it was spelled wrong. And it bothered the crap out of me because I am a spelling Nazi. His name was "Magnito", and although that spelling was great for it to be pronounced correctly, no matter how you construe the meaning of the word (X-Men villain or airplane part) it is spelled "Magneto". So now sometimes it gets mis-pronounced as Mag-neh-toe instead of Mag-nee-toe. But I still prefer to have it spelled correctly!

The breeder had an airplane engineering theme for her horse's names, because that's what her profession was. So technically his name is after an airplane part rather than the X-Men villain, but either way I think it's a cool name. Then his barn name is "Sparky", because the magneto airplane part emits sparks when it's running--clever!! So I kept that too!

It wasn't very much to have his name changed with the ISR if I recall correctly, and then I registered him with USEF and USDF after it was changed so it all matches up. It was only one letter, but needed to be done in my opinion--LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WBLover View Post
    His name was "Magnito", and although that spelling was great for it to be pronounced correctly, no matter how you construe the meaning of the word (X-Men villain or airplane part) it is spelled "Magneto".
    I saw that and thought "Magnificent"

I think my fundamental problem is that I prefer single-word names.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=