The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    LOL me too. I just purchased a Knabstrupper foal in utero because of this dang window shopping
    Welcome to the world of Knabstruppers! You will love them!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I think Randy has already been covered.

Me? I LOVE window-shopping for Arabs. I have my half Arab sporthorse. I want horse for the following:

Main ring hunter
    Park/English (preferably with the ability to do costume)
    Driving
    Western pleasure

Hubby? He wants an Arab halter horse and a reiner.

I could so link a window shopping enabling ad for you...

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    I think Randy has already been covered.

Me? I LOVE window-shopping for Arabs. I have my half Arab sporthorse. I want horse for the following:

Main ring hunter
    Park/English (preferably with the ability to do costume)
    Driving
    Western pleasure

Hubby? He wants an Arab halter horse and a reiner.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

If I was going to spend $700 on a second horse, it would not be that one. For all of the reasons mentioned above. I also have found (with some exceptions, of course) that a full draft is often too heavy up front and not built to be a real riding horse.

Of course, I would head over to Suffolk Downs and get myself a nice solidly built gelding. Turn him out for a month or two and then start retraining over the winter. I peruse the listings on CANTER periodically and it does take enormous self restraint to not pick up another one! I know that if I asked around I'd probably find a very promising horse for short money since the track is closing!

You're not ready to buy a second horse. It takes a HUGE amount of time to keep two going and you still have work to do with Fella. Every time I've had two I start to question my sanity because it's never as much fun as I imagined it would be. The only way to have two going is if both of them are reasonably far along in their training so are just keeping them going rather than re-starting them.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'll definitely wait. I do like riding full drafts though. When I was a kid I fell in love with the Fire Mares on Kull http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5G4puptHvo
    I love riding them -they're like my Tahoe or a Suburban; you just don't know how much power you're handling or how fast you're going because it's soooo smooooth.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    I love riding them -they're like my Tahoe or a Suburban; you just don't know how much power you're handling or how fast you're going because it's soooo smooooth.

Paula
    And I like my OTTBs -- they are like driving a sports car . Zero to 35 in just a few seconds!

Sonesta: I am soo excited I dont want to wait for it to bake!
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Update! Randy sold. No, it wasn't me.

Paula

Are you going to get another horsie?
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    You're not ready to buy a second horse. It takes a HUGE amount of time to keep two going and you still have work to do with Fella. Every time I've had two I start to question my sanity because it's never as much fun as I imagined it would be. The only way to have two going is if both of them are reasonably far along in their training so are just keeping them going rather than re-starting them.
    The irony is that after writing this I let myself get talked into fostering a horse for CANTER for the winter. So I guess you should never say never!

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    Are you going to get another horsie?
    Here's where man plans and God laughs. No, I do not plan to get another horsie.

However, if I were to get another horsie, whoever suggested that someone retiring from sport would do the trick has successfully planted that bug in my ear.

Paula

not that i'm an enabaler or anything but i think this little guy is PERFECT!!!!!
    and near to me, let me go try him for you pleeeaase?!
    http://burlington.craigslist.org/grd/3423117620.html

2 members found this post helpful.

If I wanted a draft riding horse I would not choose this one(referring to OP).

He does not look sound to me. Left hind is stiff. I would pass.
    That was my impression as well.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    not that i'm an enabaler or anything but i think this little guy is PERFECT!!!!!
    Big FYI...if this horse is at Bruce Gonyaw's place, show up unannounced & never buy without a PPE. Also recommend QT if you buy...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I understand the luv of the big-bodied horses, I've always wanted a big boy! That being said,I have done competitive trail and you do not want to get anything heavily muscled, you will not pulse down in holds.Arabs,Arab-crosses,apps,any lightly muscled horse could be a better prospect for you. Ever heard of " knee-knockers". Riding a smaller horse has its advantages as you would have to pull your legs up to go thru trees with this big horse. Also,getting on and off would be a pita.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post

Uhhh what a cutie! One of the women at my barn has a cob cross (I think he's a cob haffie) and he's adorable. I luurve him.

Arabracer, I'm the kind of person who gets the horse I like and then adapts her ambitions to the horse I don't like tiny horses really so I don't see myself ever getting one.

I did try to get the right kind of horse when I was solely interested in dressage, but I was living life on the DL (Down Low) so that even as I populated my bookmarks with TB prospects, a big butt would turn my head. It got to the point that someone sent me an ad for a giant blue Shire cross in Ohio and I broke down and cried. I had to be true to myself, as my very smart friends pointed out. So even though I lost a dressage trainer in the process (she said she would not be training any more draft horses) I am very happy to have come out of the big butt closet.

Besides, the kind of competitive trail I'm interested in is the 12 mile, 25 mile (maybe) stuff.

ETA: Fella, my perch/stb is only a hair over 15.3.

Paula

Okay,I get that you love big-bodied horses. I don't know of any big horses that compete in Ctr successfully. Maybe your low heat and humidity would help... If you just want to do fun rides at Ctr you could do those I suppose. You standardbred cross probably is a better choice. Long slow miles are your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by arabracer View Post
    Okay,I get that you love big-bodied horses. I don't know of any big horses that compete in Ctr successfully. Maybe your low heat and humidity would help... If you just want to do fun rides at Ctr you could do those I suppose. You standardbred cross probably is a better choice. Long slow miles are your friend.
    Thanks, Arabracer. I like your statement -Long slow miles are your friend.

I just started conditioning Fella on hills.

Paula

Walking, walking and more walking. Hills are good. Make him really walk up them (it's easier to trot). Big horses take a long time to get really fit and they lose that fitness fast.

Then start with interval training. There are lots of fitness schedules online for getting ready.

We have some draft crosses that foxhunt and you have to spend a lot more time getting them conditioned. Unlike my TB who seems to keep himself fit effortlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    I appreciate the help. Problem is, "I like big butts and I cannot lie". Sigh. I'm sure I'll get over it eventually. But how cool he is.

Paula
    Funny enough, about 6 months after I bought a well-schooled OTTB from my trainer, I found what would almost be my perfect horse -- a golden palomino, 1/2 shire (and QH) cross. Seven years old, good hooves, thick, but not too thick, and standing at 16'1 hands, and even at a price point I could have afforded.

That was a heart breaker. But I still do it and justify it by saying I'm just trying to keep up with the market. But maybe I'll just start browsing for certain price categories, like $10K or less, and not searching for shires or draft crosses.
    The dude abides ...