The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do I measure field boots for rehoming?

I have an old, but hardly used pair of field boots I am going to offer free to a good home...but, I have no idea how to measure them! They are custom made, so no stock sizing stamped on them (other than the foot size).

I had them made for me a long time ago, but shortly after a horse came down hard on my leg and from then on, that boot just would not fit even after having it stretched. I had hoped they would either one day fit, or I would have a mutantly tall/thin student come along, but alas, the poor boots sit unloved and unused.

So...how to measure? They are pull ons if that makes a difference.

The height is easy, from the foot bed to the top.

For the width, take a strip of paper and tape it inside the circumference of the boot at the widest point. Mark the paper, take it out, measure it.

1 members found this post helpful.

The problem with custom boots is that there is often not a foot size marked. To help people out, measure the length of the sole (toe to heel) and the width of the sole across the ball of the foot. That will allow people to compare the measurements to a current pair of footwear to estimate size.

For the leg, straight up the back from the top of the heel to the top of the boot. A second measure, if they have Spanish tops, would be up the outside of the leg, from the top of the heel to the top of the boot. Around the widest part of the calf. Some people also like to know the measurement around the ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    The height is easy, from the foot bed to the top.

For the width, take a strip of paper and tape it inside the circumference of the boot at the widest point. Mark the paper, take it out, measure it.
    This makes sense thanks! I was trying to think of how I could use a protractor, but a simple strip of paper sounds easier. Should I measure a few points along the calf, or just the widest part? These are crazy narrow, and I don't want someone suprised.