The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    Nothing wrong with mashed taters with salmon - I do it but usually poach the salmon.

I've TRIED to get the cats to share cooking duties but ran into a few problems. First, they are too short, second, they don't have opposible thumbs, third, they shed everywhere and fourth, they cannot read the keypad on the microwave or the numbers on the dials on the stove. so I am stuck!!!LOL
    Sounds exactly like my house, LOL!
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

The SO and I just sat down and completed our two week meal plan and grocery list. It's a total headache for about 30-45 minutes once every two weeks but SO worth it. It keeps us from eating out when we don't need to and we each pick a few different meals to cook.

Now if I didn't make lunch he would never eat it...

We both cook, but I do more than he does. He does the same things over and over and over. Mostly spaghetti, lasagna, grilled cheese, or something on the grill. He doesn't deviate from those!
    Only dead fish go with the flow.

http://tommybluefoot.blogspot.com/

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I do all the cooking. ALL. DH one time heated me up some soup, but I knew better than to expect anything when I moved in with a man who didn't. own . a . stove. Yep, no stove. Freaks people out when we have a cook out and I do the grilling
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I. do. not. cook. I told DH that when I met him. I have exactly two recipes that I can make really well. That's it.
    He's one of those that can make a meal out of whatever is in the fridge. I envy that ability! Recently, his thing is making the most awesome soups - I can live with that. Oh - and tonight he made homemade coleslaw. Yeah.
    In my defense, I will bury the dead things the cat leaves around, clean toilets, cat boxes and any other disgusting thing. DH is a little squeamish.
    We've been married for 34 yrs so it's working out fine.

i've been working fairly late in the evenings for the past, yikes 7 months? and so MrB's been doing more of the cooking (admittedly, there isn't much cooking at all happening in our house, but most of what DOES happen is his doing).
    My work hours will be cut with the shorter days, so i think/hope i'll have a chance to do some more.... Even though i despise it, i want to help out more.

My mom did 90% of the cooking when i was growing up, but since high school or so my dad's picked up quite a bit. Now he typically does the main dish (usually on the grill but he does do oven/stovetop too) and my mom does all the sides. My mom will make the occasional lasagna or similar, but it's mostly my dad. He also has been cooking pancakes for them lately- very proud of them he is.
    Since they've mostly retired they tend to go all out with meals (or maybe that's just when i come to visit???) and go a little overboard with the elaborate homemade cocktails at night,too lol!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Have not read all the replies yet....so forgive me please..

I LOVE to cook. I cook, I mostly have things from dinner in the washer before we eat, but Hubby and kids clean. That is the rule in our house and I LOVE it.

I cook, they clean.

But, I can't stand a dirty kitchen and tend to clean as I go. I do not do dishes. Period. Not when I cook. They do. And they are realy good at it now! (only took 2years!)
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

The first man I was married to had previously been married to a gourmet cook, so I heard on many many occasions. His sister actually was very surprised when she found out I did, and could, cook, as it seemed he told people that I didn't, or couldn't. He didn't die in the 14 years we were together, nor did he cook much so yeah, whatever....

Mr HwNN however loves to cook, cooks very well, and I love to eat his cooking. He also loves my cooking and between the two of us we eat pretty well.

Cooking split would probably be about 40% him, 60% me.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

That's top funny MistyBlue! My SO calls them birds nests! And actually made some today! I thought that style was strictly a Newfie thing!
    LOL! Nope, it's an Italian thing too. When Italian style you add some long hots and marinara right before eating.

Freaking gross if you ask me.

But then I can't complain too much about that mess on a plate for breakfast. I'm half English and creamed fish in the morning probably beats that on the freaking gross scale.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

DH is a much better cook than I. He can make anything from scratch. Last Thanksgiving, we actually purchased a live turkey and he did everything and the thing ended up tasting much better than any frozen turkey I've ever had. He also does pastas baked treats. I've put on 20lbs in the past year because the food around here is to die for. BTW, I have not cooked one meal since we've been together. This past weekend, I baked brownies out of the box. That is about as far as my skills go in the kitchen!
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

I cook, he cleans the kitchen. Works really well for us both. Tonight: stuffed bell peppers. A bit of work for prep, but oh so yummy. I'm lucky in that he'll pretty much eat anything I put in front of him with no complaints. Mr. Loshad is a good one.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

I don't like to cook, yet I do all of it. And I do all the cleaning and the shopping etc. Husbank makes 99% of the money, I do 99% of everything (and I do mean everything) else.

I will say that when I've had a crazy day and am just beyond dealing with dinner, or I'm not hungry and he is, he's ok with fending for himself. He'll make a sandwich or heat up some soup or something. He used to like to cook, but then got so busy he never had time. Now opening a can or a package is about as close to real cooking as he gets :/

I really never saw myself as a "homemaker" and once upon a time we did actually share chores. Ah well. It works, in it's own weird way, and it allows me to run off and play with my horse & dog whenever I want to so it's not all bad.

I cook, DH does the dishes. I don't love cooking but if I didn't cook, we wouldn't eat/we'd be broke from going out. DH makes his own sandwiches for lunch and can make eggs, but that's really about it. I'm sure he could make spaghetti too, but that's pushing it. In his defense, he does offer to help, but sometimes it takes too long for me to explain what to do. He usually ends up in charge of cutting and then steaming the broccoli. He can handle that. I'm trying to make him go through crock pot recipes and to pick one and make it, but while he's agreed, he hasn't done anything...

<sheepishly raises her hand and admits to being a spoiled brat>

I. hate. to. cook.

I am so lucky to have married someone who loves to cook And who is really awesome at it.

I do the cleaning up.

Did I mention he is awesome
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

I cook -- and love to cook. I try to clean cooking dishes as I go. He watches the kiddo. One or the other of us cleans up dishes while the other gets the kid clean and to bed, and/or feeds the horses. Then we both get to relax at the same time in the evenings. It's a good system.

DH can make pasta, heat up chicken nuggets, soup, etc. when I'm not around, however, which is key -- I am definitely not one of those women who has to be there to make sure her baby, ahem, I mean husband, survives each day.

I probably do a little more than half the cooking - but that's mostly because I do mass amounts of cooking and freezing when garden produce is ripe. Then we eat the soups and whatever else I've made for the rest of the year.

DH does cook, though. In fact, he did the only cooking that got done this weekend. When we first got together, we cooked together most meals. Then grad. school happened and one of us would be busier than the other and wouldn't help with the cooking. It evened out.

I still enjoy those evenings when we do have time to cook together... DH isn't big on making any kind of side dishes - he would be happy to eat nothing but chicken or roast or something for dinner. I've worked on him and now he'll make some sides. (Actually we both need to learn to make a bigger variety of side dishes!)
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Funny thought always comes to mind when I hear women talk about how they can't cook - makes me wonder what they are good at?

I knew a man who told me that he was very spoiled, his wife cooked him excellent meals because he always did the clean-up! smart man.

My DH hadn't cooked a meal for so long that once he did and he reached right into the oven without an oven mitt and went to pull a pan out

I plan and cook meals or it doesn't happen. He can't even follow directions on the premade stuff. Unfortunately, he is super picky about what he will eat, too. So it kind of sucks the joy out of cooking. And I really do love to cook, just not having to stick to his small list of acceptable foods.

Also, we once upon a time had an agreement that any time I didn't want to cook, we would eat out, no complaints. But once the kids started eying the adult menus and he started making every dinner a two-glass-of-wine thing, and our checks got bigger, he has started balking at this.

The worst are the two nights I ride - if I don't have dinner ready before I go, the world falls apart.

For your entertainment, some of his "no" list:
    rice
    pasta (will occasionally eat with my homemade bolognese)
    vegetables (except corn or lettuce-only salad)
    pierogies
    casseroles of any sort
    tacos
    chinese food
    chili
    soup
    meatloaf

Paddys Mom, you are a very tolerant woman. There is no way I could put up with that kind of nonsense. What CAN you feed him? Steak and potatoes?

Quote Originally Posted by babecakes View Post
    My DH hadn't cooked a meal for so long that once he did and he reached right into the oven without an oven mitt and went to pull a pan out
    Holly molly that's bad... Hope you were able to stop him "mid-stride"!!!!

I love to cook/bake... when I have the time to do it!!!

During season here... I honestly cook twice per week... if that! Can make a killer salad though!!
    SO is good about it... his way of complaining is: "Let's go to dinner... I need some man food... I'm about to turn into a rabbit".

Outside season, I do most of the cooking... and he actually is great about helping

I'm in charge of the sides and he cooks the meat/fish/whatever....
    It works.. and he'll even get up to help clean up

That's something I really appreciate after being with someone who expected to have his plate made and brought to him!!
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!