The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default He is eating all the food...

I grew up with all girls so did my mom and her mom. We dont know much about boys, well about raising them. DS ate eggs/toast/jelly abt 2 hrs ago, he just went in made 2 full tunafish salad sammies + a large tortilla wrap with tuna it it. He looks like a beanpole but eats all the time, does everyones DS eat like this? How long will he clean out my food? should I by a grocery store?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

3 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I still eat like that. Thank God for my metabolism.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

2 members found this post helpful.

DH has eaten like this his entire life. There are two of us, and if I want leftovers I have to cook for four. Second servings for him are common, and thirds for food he really likes is not unusual. To look at him, you would never guess he eats like this. A friend of his is the same way, only worse. It is not a problem for him to put down a few Whopper meals, and then a large hot fudge sundae. Built like a bean pole and in his mid-fifties.

I would buy a large freezer so you can take advantage of the sales and at least keep a rein on your food budget. Get him on good, wholesome food at home 100 percent of the time so your paycheck isn't going to fund junk, which will only make him hungrier. We eat a lot of chicken, fish, lentils and beans, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, nuts and popcorn. Dessert is not a usual occurrence at home. I can't even imagine what my bill would be if I bought a lot of chips, cookies, pastries, etc. Money through the roof!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

4 members found this post helpful.

I have a friend with two sons that married a man with four sons... So, six high school aged boys living under one roof.

I spoke to her about a month after they married...she had that deer in the headlights look and said "Do you have ANY idea what our grocery bill is??"
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

My son and DH are bottomless pits and of course, both thin and very fit. Myself and my poor daughter, not so much! It's difficult to find the balance!

We don't eat out and don't eat junk food. I refuse to resort to crappy food just to fill them up though the freezer full of Hot Pockets is tempting sometimes!

We have lots of potatoes and big hearty meals with leftovers. Lots of sandwiches and burritos that they fix for themselves. We have two milk cows and a dairy goat that keep us in a huge supply of milk, yogurt, cheese, butter and cream and that helps too though it's not feasible for everyone!

My MIL raised 5 huge huge boys along with 3 active girls on a very very tight budget. They hunted year round, had pigs, chickens, a huge garden, a milk cow or two, and bought their potatoes by the 100 lb bag. Now all the wives are doing the same thing to keep those five grown men fed!

I just don't know what it is with teenage boys-they turn into timberwolves and have the most insatiable appetites. I would buy 4 gallons of milk per week, at least a 5lb bag of potatoes, huge boxes of cereal and even then not fill my kids up. Be especially blessed if you have a Sams, Costco or something like that near you. You will be come friends with them.

My immediate family is all men, with the exception of me. Some need that much food, some don't. My brother was the worst. His energy level was so high when he was younger, he couldn't even wear watches, they all stopped running. He was skinny as a rail, but strong as 5 oxes from all that innate energy. All he did was eat massive amounts of food, but never gained a pound. Being a female that needs about 10 calories a day to keep from gaining weight, I hated him for it .

When my brother was little (like 7 or 8), and we had chicken for dinner, mom always cooked 2 chickens. One for herself, me and my dad, and one for my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2
    I would buy a large freezer so you can take advantage of the sales and at least keep a rein on your food budget. Get him on good, wholesome food at home 100 percent of the time so your paycheck isn't going to fund junk, which will only make him hungrier. We eat a lot of chicken, fish, lentils and beans, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, nuts and popcorn. Dessert is not a usual occurrence at home. I can't even imagine what my bill would be if I bought a lot of chips, cookies, pastries, etc. Money through the roof!
    What Chief2 said. It takes planning to keep from going bankrupt trying to feed these people . Lots of high-protein food that sticks, plenty of whole grain fiber.

I know it's real, but I still don't understand how anyone could possible consume that much food all the time and not blow up or something!
    <><

1 members found this post helpful.

It's not just boys. My 17 year old daughter is 5'5" and 90lbs soaking wet. She eats every moment she is awake. I kid you not. She will get a "meal" from some fast food place on her way home from work and still eat a full dinner with us, then have chips/cupcakes/ice cream until she falls asleep. I was like that until I hit 40. It's not fair.

My 15 mo old is already eating us out of house and home. Looks like it's only going to get worse, huh?

Definitely going the "whole foods" route, but I'm shocked at how much this kid can eat at his age. Yesterday breakfast was 2 eggs with spinach, mushrooms and some cheese and a banana. Lunch was half a chicken breast and a quarter cup of mixed veggies and some apple, and dinner was the other half of chicken breast, rice, some cheese chunks, a couple asparagus spears and a handful of cheerios.

And then he begged while I was eating and ate quite a bit of MY dinner too. Granted he's a big boy, (a FAT infant) and hasn't gained any weight since his 12 mo check up, but has gained about two inches in height. He's just growing like a weed. If he's eating like this now...I shudder to think of his teen years.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

It's even more unfair to have NEVER been like that!

6 members found this post helpful.

His grandpa ate constantly almost till the day he died at 85 yo, and he was normal size, it may just be him. Hes not that acrive (plays soccer all the year but its not every day) otherwise holds the couch down. Hes at least 6 ft maybe 130 lbs. Chief we have a big freezer thank goodness & Ive thought about buying 1/2 a cow, he could eat 2+ lbs steak every day if I let him. Then other days he eats normal. He eats & likes most food so when I can cook he isnt picky, not much into junk either unless its there. Im wondering if hes getting ready to grow again, the girls seem to eat when they were sprouting.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I have two older brothers and during their teenage years they ate everything that wasn't nailed down! As a kid I remember hiding food in the back of the breadbox drawer if I ever wanted a chance at a cookie. The oldest brother would make huge sandwiches ala Dagwood Bumstead, of white bread and peanut butter. They looked like mountains! My other brother would take a mixing bowl out to eat cereal, I kid you not! We called it his Jethro Bodine moment. All I can say is good luck, and careful reaching for the crumbs...
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    I have a friend with two sons that married a man with four sons... So, six high school aged boys living under one roof.

I spoke to her about a month after they married...she had that deer in the headlights look and said "Do you have ANY idea what our grocery bill is??"
    That's what men DO. The suck all the high metabolism mojo from older women and eat accordingly. It all worked out when men made all the money it took to feed them and their more reasonable kin.

At least this household of 6 men are contributing to the consumer culture.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Get used to it! My brother is 20 and has been eating like that since he was 6 or 7. I still giggle thinking about him crying out in abject HORROR, "But that was LUNCH!" when told that the meal we had eaten was dinner.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

My son is 13, a stringbean and eats like that. It is nonstop. LMEqT and I watch in wonder.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSatwork View Post
    My 17 year old daughter is 5'5" and 90lbs soaking wet. She eats every moment she is awake.
    His sister eats alot, add 5 inches & 40 lbs to your DD, but not like him, I consider her normal. Other sister eats less but is a good size. Hes eaten a PBJ sammich since I typed OP. Geez!

Welcome to my world!! Well, the one I had until the "big boys" grew up and moved out, now there's just the 10 year old at home with us. For years we had: DH (6'2" 185lbs), SS24 (6'3", 190lbs), DS22 (6'0" 160 lbs), me (5'9", 140 lbs) and DS10 (still growing, but generally with the tall/skinny/cranking metabolism program). Ugh, we eat sooooo much food, it's like everyone has a furnace burning inside them. Me included. I was spending upwards of $300, a week on groceries when everyone still lived here and the teenagers would STILL be riding their bikes to the convenience store to fill up on crap. Nothing like getting up, NEEDING breakfast, and finding the fridge empty unexpectedly, that made me really mad...I'm STARVING when I wake up and mean until I get some food .

Both DH and I are like that. I had to tell DD's preschool teachers that if she wants thirds- give her thirds. When I was swimming 4-5 hours a day in HS and college it was obscene what I could eat. We would go to IHOP after practice some days and the waitstaff told us only 3 to a table - -otherwise they couldn't fit the food.

Nothing like a 14 yr old boy in the refrigerator, holding the door open yelling 'whatta got ?' (and all the friends he brings home) I miss my grocery helper now - my son would race out of the house to help unload the car. The food had arrived!

I was a football mom and helped organize the Friday after school pre-game meals - try feeding 100+ FOOTBALL players!

I watched my stepson when he was 13 eat 7 pork chops off a platter - without ANY concern about others getting anything. I had a rage on that thoughtlessness, he thought I was picking on him.

I grew up with 3 younger brothers so I learned defensive eating. There was no saving a bite to relish for later in that house. My mother once made 4 cakes for a birthday - one for each of us and no trading so the pieces wouldn't go thru size scrutiny. She'd pass the bread and potatoes around twice first! I remember one of my brothers yelling out from bed one night 'I'm hungry.' "I want pancakes!'

Sigh, I watch what people carry out from fast food places and I'm stunned they can eat that stuff. Just looking at food goes to my hips.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I was reading too fast and thought you said your 15 year old...I thought, gosh, that isn't much food at all! 15 months on the other hand, that is a ton of food!

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    My 15 mo old is already eating us out of house and home. Looks like it's only going to get worse, huh?

Definitely going the "whole foods" route, but I'm shocked at how much this kid can eat at his age. Yesterday breakfast was 2 eggs with spinach, mushrooms and some cheese and a banana. Lunch was half a chicken breast and a quarter cup of mixed veggies and some apple, and dinner was the other half of chicken breast, rice, some cheese chunks, a couple asparagus spears and a handful of cheerios.

And then he begged while I was eating and ate quite a bit of MY dinner too. Granted he's a big boy, (a FAT infant) and hasn't gained any weight since his 12 mo check up, but has gained about two inches in height. He's just growing like a weed. If he's eating like this now...I shudder to think of his teen years.