The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Would you? Really??

***please do not share your political views or opinions***

We have all heard the people who loudly announce that"if so and so" wins the election, I'm moving to another country/another state! But...do they?

I have plans to move in the next few years, about when I finish my degree. Mostly because I dislike the weather but also because I disagree with the fiscal-political decisions where I live.

So, yes, I guess I am one who will.

Has anyone ever moved because of an election result?
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I've never moved because of an election result but I'm considering moving at some point in the next few years because I could get better work elsewhere and who knows what else I could find.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

1 members found this post helpful.

Whereabouts are you? What field are you in?
    The Knotted Pony

I'm in Northern VA and I can work in law enforcement or IT but I've been doing IT for most of the past decade.

What I don't understand is anyone who says this, but has not put any effort into supporting the outcome of the election. Have you stood on a street corner with a sign? Have you knocked on doors? Have you volunteered. I understand people who put a ton of effort into fighting for their desired outcome being upset. Couch jockeys who are upset- well, whatever. If you want to move b/c of the outcome then do. If you want someone to win- then work at it. I have moved for school and jobs and obtaining the life I want.

3 members found this post helpful.

Not because of an election, but growing up in a dictatorship, I was more than glad to be one of the lucky ones that could get out.

Moving countries because of one election result seems such a first world problem taken past sensible reason.

9 members found this post helpful.

Politics contributing in moving out of Massachusetts when the opportunity presented (though it wasn't the only reason.)

Leaving the country? It would have to be pretty bad. Now, if I were staggeringly rich, I'd put it in a non-interest-generating account and establish residency in the Channel Islands or another tax-shelter island (though the ones connected to Britain are the first choice as I like the weather better. Yes, I like moderate at most.)

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Not because of an election, but growing up in a dictatorship, I was more than glad to be one of the lucky ones that could get out.

Moving countries because of one election result seems such a first world problem taken past sensible reason.
    Growing up in a dictatorship?? Share please!!
    The Knotted Pony

Lex, I thought IT and LE were pretty much needed all over? If ya like a little rain, move to WA-we do IT, in a big way.
    The Knotted Pony

The one that always makes me /facepalm is the people who say things like "If policy ABC is implemented, I'm moving to Country XYZ!" When Country XYZ already has a policy in place that's identical to ABC
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Growing up in a dictatorship?? Share please!!
    Nope, not sharing.

Still, there are worse things in a country to get all upset over that an election your side didn't win.
    Why?
    When you look around, there are many countries that don't have elections to grumble about.

Similar to complaining about your new shirt being too tight and then seeing someone that doesn't even has a shirt to wear.
    That is the perspective I was adding with my post.

4 members found this post helpful.

No, but there are absolutely states that my husband and I will not live in because we disagree with specific laws in those states.

We are within a few years of retiring (early). We are watching to see which states, and counties within those states vote for a particular presidential candidate.

If the state goes for the candidate we do not like, we will not be taking our $ to that state to retire.

We won't be retiring in our current state. Yes, they traditionally vote one, and we concur. But we do not like the climate, and we want more activities after we retire.

Yes, really.

You do vote at the polls. But you also vote with your dollars. You don't like something-don't buy.

And, that we will not do.

We do have a couple states in mind. One has the BEST tax structure for retired people. Being an accountant, I watch the $ closely. My husband appreciates that too.

I agree with you rmh! And I plan on doing as you are

Bluey, should you change your mind, please PM me anytime. I enjoy international perspective.
    The Knotted Pony

I think it is a drastic measure, and unless you have thoroughly researched whatever country you are planning to move to, you might end up in an even worse situation than the one you assume you will be in if you stay.

Moving states within the U.S.? That's an entirely different scenario (not drastic).

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Lex, I thought IT and LE were pretty much needed all over? If ya like a little rain, move to WA-we do IT, in a big way.
    That was the case a decade ago. Now, it's the complete opposite as both fields have a surplus of workers due to ex-military hires (Veteran's Preference counts A LOT in getting hired in both fields regardless of how qualified you are) and the for-profit college boom churning out gobs of people with CJ and IT degrees while those who hire in both fields are working with reduced budgets.

1 members found this post helpful.

If I had $100 dollars for every time my father said "If ____ wins the election we're moving to Australia" (no I don't know why he thought it would be better there), then I'd have a hell of a lot of money. And I had relatives who wanted to vote for RFK because "he has a nice smile" (they didn't even vote!), so I understand hearing about it. Actually, it would be nice if people who are a royal PITA did move where I didn't have to put up with them. And I find nothing more boring than someone telling me why they're voting for someone or an issue, because I make up my own mind, and don't want input from the village idiot. Someone once said "if you don't know who to vote for, then ask the biggest idiot you know who they're voting for, and vote the opposite" truer words were never spoken.

I wonder how many of the people who say they're moving states or countries if someone else winds even vote. And they certainly aren't moving either.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I would not move out of the country because of an election in the U.S. I would move out of the country if I had gobs of money because I want to for myself.

Pierre Salinger did when Bush won.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I will admit to donating to relevant non-profit organizations to support causes that are important to me when a vote does not go the way I was hoping.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland