The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 80
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan. 12, 2000
    Location
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)
    Posts
    14,174

    Thumbs down McClain Ward Article on COTH

    http://chronofhorse.com/article/mcla...ech-grand-prix

    Um, am I mistaken or didn't Barney miss seeing McLain win all those awards for a VERY GOOD reason? Like being found guilty of killing horses for money?

    It's sad that McLain lost his father, but I'm sad that the person writing the article is so star struck that they allude to Barney missing all his son's great achievements and didn't come right out with the reason--which is a lesson to all who do such terrible things to the animals we love. And the animals that have made his son famous.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"


    4 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    16,505

    Default

    It never ceases to amaze me the number of people WHO DON'T KNOW what happened!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/


    3 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb. 18, 2001
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    6,979

    Default

    Oh, give it a rest. How many times does it need to be rehashed? The story was about Mclain's win and I think Molly made the right editorial decision by mentioning Barney but nothing more. If you want to know more about what he did, read his obituary posted last week.


    14 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2005
    Location
    Where it is perpetually winter
    Posts
    5,364

    Default

    Oh for the love of god. Do we really have to go over this for the millionth time?

    He's dead, let it rest. Mclain and his father were very close, and yes, Barney had a LOT to do with Mclain's program even today. He had a fabulous eye for a horse. I'm well aware of what he pled guilty to, but I also think about the accomplishments and such that he had as well. Then again, I'm one of those people who thinks you can learn something, good or bad, from just about everyone.

    I also agree that Molly made the right editorial decision by mentioning Barney and how his passing affected Mclain this week, and I would hope that people would continue to show Mclain some respect and decency during what is undoubtedly a very difficult time for him.

    Congratulations to him and the whole Castle Hill family on a great win last night.


    16 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2004
    Location
    City of delusion in the state of total denial
    Posts
    8,670

    Default

    There's a place and time.

    What Barney Ward did was horrific and terrible but a story about his son's win was not the place or time.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

    Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG


    8 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    972

    Default

    FWIW, she did link to Barney's article which sheds light on his criminal past.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan. 21, 2000
    Posts
    1,983

    Default

    Yes there are a lot of people didn't know why Barney Ward was suspended, but I don't think an article about McLains win a weeks after his death is the time to keep bringing it up. The reason was eluded to in the article. I don't anyone would think that McLain had excommunicated from his father and they are more than open that Barney was a big part of the program. Even though Barney was banned from horse shows he still knew what was going with his sons competitive career. I don't want to say drop it but the whole story does not have to be told in every single article mentioning him.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2008
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Seriously. Let it rest. I'm sure even the people who support him are clearly aware of the mistakes and flaws he had in his lifetime.
    Pay your respects to the man or don't say anything at all. It's just not the time for it.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    16,505

    Default

    I think my comment is being misunderstood (and thanks for the neg, that's super mature). What I mean is, what was the author to do? Either she has to explain the entire story (assuming readers don't know, because some don't), not mention it at all-- which is weird in the context of Mclain's comments-- or do what she did, give it a gloss. Under the circumstances, given that the topic of the article was not Barney but a specific win by Mclain-- the gloss was really the only option because otherwise the article would have had to have gone on a major tangent.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/


    4 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2008
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    What does me disliking your post have to do with maturity? I dislike what you wrote, that doesn't make me immature. It means I have an opinion and I'm free to use it.

    And how else was your comment supposed to be understood?
    Maybe you should have explained what you meant in the first place. I just don't believe any of his past should be an issue right now, in articles, on forums...period. He died and those who respected him should show their respect and those who didn't can just stop and allow those of us who did respect him to pay our respects.
    Last edited by jse; Nov. 4, 2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Hit repy too soon.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    16,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jse View Post
    What does me disliking your post have to do with maturity? I dislike what you wrote, that doesn't make me immature. It means I have an opinion and I'm free to use it.

    And how else was your comment supposed to be understood?
    Maybe you should have explained what you meant in the first place. I just don't believe any of his past should be an issue right now, in articles, on forums...period. He died and those who respected him should show their respect and those who didn't can just stop and allow those of us who did respect him to pay our respects.
    My post was admittedly not a model of clarity. I was responding more to Velvet than expressing a complete thought of my own on the subject.

    The anonymous nature of it is what makes it immature, IMHO. If you disagree with someone, say so (express the actual opinion)... but say it so they know who it is and WHY... not passive aggressively. I think the whole "like/dislike" thing is pretty immature.

    I can't really square the two paragraphs of your post. Paragraph 1 is all about how divergent opinions are welcome. Paragraph 2 says "shut up if you disagree with me, I don't want to hear contrary positions." How does that make any sense??
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar. 13, 2006
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Seriously, give it a rest! Some people on this board act like the man killed people. I don't really understand. I agree that what he did was wrong but I also know that hundreds of horses are killed everyday in slaughterhouses.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul. 1, 2011
    Posts
    2,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HorseLuvr View Post
    Seriously, give it a rest! Some people on this board act like the man killed people. I don't really understand. I agree that what he did was wrong but I also know that hundreds of horses are killed everyday in slaughterhouses.
    A captive bolt gun to the head is a lot more humane than electrocution which is, correct my if I'm wrong, how Barney killed the horses.
    I agree that it does not need to be brought up in every single article written about Ward and his wins, especially right after his father's death.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    A captive bolt gun to the head is a lot more humane than electrocution which is, correct my if I'm wrong, how Barney killed the horses.
    Not to mention that the overwhelming majority (like 99.999% of horses) are in a slaughterhouse because that's where their legal owners sent them. They're not being electrocuted (I think technically Barney just had it done, didn't do it himself) as part of a scheme to commit insurance fraud.

    I think it would have been more tactful to omit the references to Barney, honestly. No, dying does not automatically clear the slate and mean everyone gets to pretend there wasn't a really valid reason for the ban. Mentioning exactly why isn't really kind of McClain, but acting like it was just tragic circumstances that kept his father away from his shows is also not really appropriate.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan. 21, 2003
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    3,002

    Default

    If PV died, I wonder what the reaction would be. I am serious in this....I am really curious. I just dont remember anything nice being said about BW until now. He was pretty much cinsidered the devil incarnate until his death. At least as I remember.

    My oersonal feelings are not the impetus for this post...I am seriously curious.
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org


    5 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar. 22, 2005
    Location
    Where it is perpetually winter
    Posts
    5,364

    Default

    I think the opinions seen on the forum were/are not necessarily reflective of the industry as a whole and the people who know Mclain. I know his Facebook was flooded with condolences shortly after Barney died.

    He still had a wealth of knowledge he was willing to share, and some people chose to utilize that. I personally did not, but I do not begrudge those who did.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    http://chronofhorse.com/article/mcla...ech-grand-prix

    Um, am I mistaken or didn't Barney miss seeing McLain win all those awards for a VERY GOOD reason? Like being found guilty of killing horses for money?

    It's sad that McLain lost his father, but I'm sad that the person writing the article is so star struck that they allude to Barney missing all his son's great achievements and didn't come right out with the reason--which is a lesson to all who do such terrible things to the animals we love. And the animals that have made his son famous.
    I completely agree with you. And I don't think it should be swept under the carpet or forgotten simply because the bastard happened to die. The longer his crimes are kept in the limelight, the longer they remain a lesson. He did a horrible thing, & was only sorry because he was caught. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. Honestly, does anyone REALLY believe that if he hadn't been caught/prosecuted/convicted he'd have been sitting at home suffering any sort of remorse??? Puhleeeze. He'd still be counting the cash.

    Poor McLain. Yes, it's sad that he lost his father, but he'll be forever tainted - even if it's just in minor ways - because of him. There are far, far too many people who will always feel that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.


    7 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug. 20, 2004
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    2,202

    Default

    PLease don't engage in this …enough already.
    friend of bar*ka


    4 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct. 19, 2009
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    About the actual article's subject...congrats to McClain on his win and WOW I LOVE Antares' super tidy front end! Gorgeous horse.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug. 15, 2011
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    http://chronofhorse.com/article/mcla...ech-grand-prix

    Um, am I mistaken or didn't Barney miss seeing McLain win all those awards for a VERY GOOD reason? Like being found guilty of killing horses for money?

    It's sad that McLain lost his father, but I'm sad that the person writing the article is so star struck that they allude to Barney missing all his son's great achievements and didn't come right out with the reason--which is a lesson to all who do such terrible things to the animals we love. And the animals that have made his son famous.
    There is a time and a place for everything and this is neither the time nor the place to give a thumbs down to an article noting McClain's accomplishments. I don't care what reasons or editorial interest in the how to approach the subject you claim to have. Time-Place...neither are available.


    5 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. great article COTH!
    By mustangsal85 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep. 22, 2011, 02:31 PM
  2. McClain Ward clinic at Lion Hill Farm
    By Comfortably Numb in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: May. 9, 2011, 10:55 PM
  3. Barney and McClain Ward?
    By Holsteiner jumper in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 222
    Last Post: Jan. 2, 2007, 12:42 PM
  4. Replies: 119
    Last Post: Apr. 22, 2000, 12:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •