The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who can get to diaster victims first? Backpacker in London or FEMA? Game on!

Someone else was right, this forum has gone downhill pretty quick. I'm not sure why so many people find it worth of their time to be rude, to attack, and just plain disrespectful. If only that anger was funneled in a positive direction like volunteering.... NJ would probably be cleane up already.

Thank you to the few people who posted useful information on this thread!

Sorry to the few good people left on this forum..
    See ya (sent from the Nj/PA border)
    Last edited by FatPalomino; Nov. 6, 2012 at 05:07 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

The title brought me here! The first part is very hopeful sounding (tell your pa just to move to FL, just my opinion) but what the heck happened with that last paragraph??

I have two cats, no kids and have some loans to get my Accounting degree. This is not something to be ashamed about? EH?
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Thankfully you missed a previous trainwreck, so I edited my post to only highlight the positive. It's all good. I'm with you about the move to Florida. It's going to be a long time before they rebuild.

I thought it was just me....

Honestly, have you been drinking? Why would you bring up the fact that you own three dogs and that you think other COTHer are doing after you?

I'm not sure you can blame FEMA in this situation, they have a lot of people just like your father to get to. I know it's frustrating and hard being patient, but everyone is doing the best they can.

3 members found this post helpful.

Wishing your dad and girlfriend the best and thankful you can get home to help.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

FP doubled back and took the high road, folks, let's let her do that.

Hang in there FP, along with all of your family. I hope you get some relief soon!

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, cowboymom
    Last edited by FatPalomino; Nov. 6, 2012 at 05:08 PM.

That's government for ya! There will be private citizens to help until the feds show up-I hope that's sooner instead of later!

I think what Sandy shows us is confusion, unpreparedness and frustration are the rule not the exception when it comes to large scale natural disasters. Everyone was very quick to blame the government and Bush and FEMA in Katrina but the same could be said with Sandy. Face it, it's very hard to be ready and Johnny Fema on the spot when it comes to Hurricanes. It just takes days to get things geared up. Then getting them to the right places. Everyone needs something, but some are in more need than others. It's a time when everyone has to pull together, public officials need to put partisanship to the side and work together. (what was the deal about turning back power crews from the south who weren't union?)

I hope your Dad gets some help soon and things go smoothly from here on out. He's lucky to have you.

In fairness, NJ is the most densely populated state in the US and FEMA has a lot of people to see/help. You are only concerned about a miniscule fraction of that. So, of course you are going to get to those that concern you first. FEMA has to get to those that are the most affected first. Those would be the people that have no house left.

Also, I agree with what hastyreply has said. Some things that occured in natural disasters that make me shake my head:

Our Red Cross disaster preparedness manager told me that they had flooding in a beach town in DE and the people hanging out in their vacation houses wanted help from the Red Cross - they wanted vouchers for nice hotels and did not want to stay in the shelters created for people who did not have a lot of money and were permanent residents. These people actually bad mouthed the Red Cross in a local paper....because they had to go home instead of getting put up in a nice hotel.

Also, the people who were waiting to be rescued after Katrina and were shooting at helicopters, then got mad that the rescue workers were not going to risk their own lives like that to rescue the stranded gunmen.

Not to be an insufferable B but how exactly does moving to Florida help you avoid devastation caused by hurricanes?

I'm sorry but being from a town that is still recovering from floods in 2008 has made me a little jaded to people declaring Sandy recovery a failure after 5 days.

6 members found this post helpful.

The union in NJ made the non-union crews unwelcome enough they wanted to turn back, then demanded the non-union crews sign paperwork on the non-union employees to agree to union affiliation and then, when the public eye fell on their very political and selfish action, they started issuing statements like mad that the non-union crews were welcome
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    The union in NJ made the non-union crews unwelcome enough they wanted to turn back, then demanded the non-union crews sign paperwork on the non-union employees to agree to union affiliation and then, when the public eye fell on their very political and selfish action, they started issuing statements like mad that the non-union crews were welcome
    Thanks for explaining that. I'd just heard bits and pieces on the news about it but couldn't believe they would do that sort of thing.

There are so many people ready to take advantage of free services who may not truely qualify for them (ie the vacationers in DE). I heard something about gas stations in FL were required to have back up generators. Maybe that's something these areas need to look into.

I feel for all the people who have had their lives literally turned upside down. I don't particularly care about vacation homes and second homes. It's the people trying to get their lives back to normal that I have sympathy for.

When the news were all " oh, look at the damage but the storms gone" right afterwards, I wondered what about the people. At first they are just in shock and glad they survived, but after a few days the anger that they can't find the help they need kicks in and it gets so much worse.

This is untrue according to Gov. Christie. What actually happened was that the non-Union crews from somewhere down south were traveling thru Va when they were told by their sources that NJ wouldn't allow non-union workers. Christie adamantly denied it and continues to beg any and all workers to help us here.

When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

It is a tough situation but a bit too much to believe that the government is going to pick up the phone and call your daddy to tell him what he needs to do.

And I am certain you are very stressed and worried about him. My boss has an elderly father (in his 90's) who does not have much damage but has been without power. He at least had made hotel reservations and stayed 3 nights but then was booted because someone else had booked the room on the 4th night. So, he is back in his unheated house.

It sounds like maybe your dad should have been deciding what to pack up and salvage once he knew what type of damage he sustained instead of sitting and waiting for someone to tell him what to do. Unless waiting for the next step is fine with him, then he has to be patient and do what he can to take care of himself and count on the kindness of neighbors and other locals who may be in a better position to lend him some sort of assistance.

He lives close enough to the ocean to have the tide flood his first floor during high tide once his house was damaged so he was pretty sure he was going to be in line with this storm and potentially seriously impacted. And at very high risk at that since he is blind and his GF has serious medical issues. He needed to take action to protect himself earlier instead of figuring he would wait until the government showed up to take care of everything thing for him.

It is what it is. They can only move so fast. It doesn't mean FEMA isn't working So, yes, I would hope that you could get there sooner than they would.

Best of luck to you and your dad. It is an awful situation for many.

Mean people suck
    Last edited by FatPalomino; Nov. 6, 2012 at 05:09 PM.

You really ought to fact check this stuff before you repeat it.
    http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Non-Union-Utility-Crews-from-Alabama-Turned-Away-From-Helping-NJ-Sandy-Victims-176949061.html
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

OP I'm so sorry to hear of your dad's predicament We have dealt with our fair share of storms and damage over the years here but I can't imagine being without power for a week now with the lack of food and cold temperatures that many are dealing with there.

This is precisely why FEMA needs to be contracting out to private industry in situations like this. I work for the federal government... there's so much red tape to work through that they'd struggle to manage their way out of a wet paper sack. Slow and cumbersome doesn't even begin to describe. I saw a story on the news this morning where the Anheuser Busch had switched one of their beer production lines to produce cans of water to be shipped for free to the disaster areas. The switchover took them less than a day. Private industries are just more flexible and able to respond in situations such as this.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

3 members found this post helpful.