The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 146
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Nov. 12, 2011
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    I have not read the entire thread, so I apologize if someone has already said this. That being said, it is unconstitutional to charge people money to vote. To get an ID costs money. Ergo, requiring people to have an ID to vote is levying a fee on voting.

    If IDs were free, I would not have an issue with requiring ID to vote.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio


    5 members found this post helpful.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2004
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    I have not read the entire thread, so I apologize if someone has already said this. That being said, it is unconstitutional to charge people money to vote. To get an ID costs money. Ergo, requiring people to have an ID to vote is levying a fee on voting.

    If IDs were free, I would not have an issue with requiring ID to vote.
    Voter ID cards are free in many states ... Georgia for one..


    3 members found this post helpful.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    May. 30, 2006
    Posts
    619

    Default

    No One in America Should Have to Wait 7 Hours to Vote:

    http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...o-vote/264506/

    Embedded in this article is a link to another article on the voter fraud myth.



  4. #104
    Join Date
    Dec. 11, 2006
    Location
    Cheesehead in Loudoun Co, VA
    Posts
    2,521

    Default

    Photo ID isn't the only way to catch in-person fraud, which is so ridiculously rare because it's so incredibly difficult to pull off that the risk of up to 5 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000 for citizens and possible deportation for immigrants from a class-D felony conviction for a single vote is not worth taking.

    Unless you're a moron like Roxanne Rubin, a registered Republican in Nevada, who was just arrested for attempting to vote twice in the same day at two different Las Vegas locations. It wasn't her photo that nailed her. The electronic database had already flagged her as having voted. She swears that's not true, but the numbers on the database match her card exactly. They're investigating at least one other case of multiple voting attempts.

    Legitimate Virginia voter registration ballots thrown away. Although county officials won't confirm it on the record, the most likely reason may be that Small was throwing the applications away because he'd waited longer than the statutory 15 days after he collected them to turn them in, and was afraid of getting in trouble.

    Virginia's guidelines for voter registration drives clearly state that failure to turn in completed applications within 15 days can lead to prosecution for a misdemeanor. So he ditched them, got caught and is now charged with eight felonies and five misdemeanors related to the destruction and disclosure of the applications and obstruction of justice.

    The 8 applications were immediately processed. One was rejected as a felon, 3 were already on file and the other 4 new voters can still cast their ballots on Tuesday.

    CA couple find absentee ballots dumped near home twice Ballot tampering is a federal offense.

    Mail-in ballots much more likely to be rejectedand there's nothing the voter can do about it. Florida law states that once someone casts an absentee ballot they can’t vote in person, even if the ballot is rejected.

    Absentee ballots, in particular, have proven to be the fraudster's method of choice. They are cast in private out of the view of suspecting eyes of poll workers or fellow voters. They are ripe for coercion and undue influence from whoever might be sitting next to the absentee voter -- think union or corporate bosses. And multiple ballots can be collected over the course of several weeks, saving the expense and rush of a one-day voter impersonation campaign.

    The greatest irony of the new crop of voter ID laws is that they do nothing to combat the more frequent problem of absentee ballot fraud of which BOTH parties are guilty.

    In fact, they might even make such fraud more likely because the number of absentee voters might increase, given that absentee voters do not need to have a photo ID in order to vote. Worse still, absentee votes are much more likely to be otherwise disqualified because of errors committed by either the voter or the vote counter.

    Photo IDs will not stop people from trying to buy votes.

    It will not stop fraudulent re-registration of voters, where personal information such as someone's party affiliation, signature or address could have been changed without the person's knowledge.

    And last I checked, it's not illegal to mail in an absentee ballot and die before election day. If you die out of state, there may be no law requiring them to notify your home registrar.

    And why are these dead people still on the rolls? It’s not enough for a relative or a friend to call up and say that a loved one has died or moved out of state. They require proof, otherwise think of the mischief that could happen if staff members accepted anyone’s calling — sight unseen — to say that Aunt Tilly had died or John Doe had moved and should be taken off the voter list. Using robocalls, political parties and operatives could disenfranchise thousands of voters. To counteract fraud, state law insists on documentary evidence.

    Staff members check the obituaries daily, then check birth dates, residency and research those in the state’s electronic voter file. If there is a match, the person’s electronic record is marked 'deceased' to deactivate it, and the record is removed from the system. Most "dead voter" allegations arise from flawed matches of death records and voter rolls. Sometimes a voter turns out to have died after voting; in other cases, a living voter might be mistaken for a dead one with the same name.

    Yes, there are occasions where people have fraudulently used another person's identity to vote, but they are so few and far between that they have no statistical chance of influencing an election. Voter fraud is a serious crime. But so is voter suppression. In my opinion, it is just as heinous to prevent a legitimate voter from casting a ballot as it is to attempt to cast a fraudulent ballot.
    Last edited by HighFlyinBey++; Nov. 6, 2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Corrected poor sentence structure.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Feb. 1, 2001
    Location
    Finally...back in civilization, more or less
    Posts
    11,495

    Default

    I agree that it is not that easy for many people... even if you GET the ID!
    As of 4 days ago, just as an example, the county that I live in (Fulton, in GA) had over 1500 properly executed voter registration applications that they hadn't gotten "keyed in" to the system yet. That means those voters are at risk for not getting on to the voting rolls... even though the voters did everything correctly and on time.

    The voting officials' answer is, "just fill out a provisional ballot," and once they confirm you are eligible, that vote will count.

    Except that you have to be able to cast a provisional ballot... and to do that, you must know where your local polling place is. And the only way to learn that... is to be registered.

    I know, because I am one of those voters. I have a copy of my registration application and the postmark that shows the application was sent - via registered mail - by the appropriate deadline. I spent the great majority of the day today trying to reach the appropriate individual at our county elections office - what a freakin' trainwreck that was. The phone went unanswered (ring, ring, ring... disconnect) for literally HOURS. I finally reached someone who kept me on hold for nearly an hour, before "transferring" me to a line that rang four times and then disconnected the call.

    I did reach someone at the SOS's office. They were, "unable to help," other than to give the county elections office number to me (again.) I have sent emails to all the appropriate people, have left messages etc. But I do not think I will be able to vote tomorrow, despite having done everything I needed to do to register, and that makes me incredibly angry.
    **********
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Dec. 11, 2006
    Location
    Cheesehead in Loudoun Co, VA
    Posts
    2,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    Voter ID cards are free in many states ... Georgia for one..
    Are the documents required to get those IDs also free?
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Apr. 11, 2001
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyinBey++ View Post
    Unless you're a moron like Roxanne Rubin, a registered Republican in Nevada...
    ...or Wendy Rosen the Democratic Congressional candidate in Maryland that pulled out of the race last month when it was discovered she voted twice in '06 and '08. Buy hey, "moron" is your classless name calling behavior not mine...


    7 members found this post helpful.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Dec. 11, 2006
    Location
    Cheesehead in Loudoun Co, VA
    Posts
    2,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    ...or Wendy Rosen the Democratic Congressional candidate in Maryland that pulled out of the race last month when it was discovered she voted twice in '06 and '08. Buy hey, "moron" is your classless name calling behavior not mine...
    Wendy Rosen is also a moron. I chose to highlight Roxanne's story because, despite all the coverage of the new voter ID laws, she STILL CHOSE to attempt voting twice in person in this current election.
    Last edited by HighFlyinBey++; Nov. 6, 2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Gave subk a thumbs up
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jun. 8, 2012
    Posts
    30

    Default

    I voted this morning and was not ID'd


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jul. 5, 2007
    Location
    Beside Myself ~ Western NY
    Posts
    7,022

    Default

    I walked into my voting place, said who I was, signed on the dotted line...

    I have been IDed in the past though
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    18,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    Voter ID cards are free in many states ... Georgia for one..
    Yes, but getting the documents required for an ID is not free.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    18,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I agree that it is not that easy for many people... even if you GET the ID!
    As of 4 days ago, just as an example, the county that I live in (Fulton, in GA) had over 1500 properly executed voter registration applications that they hadn't gotten "keyed in" to the system yet. That means those voters are at risk for not getting on to the voting rolls... even though the voters did everything correctly and on time.

    The voting officials' answer is, "just fill out a provisional ballot," and once they confirm you are eligible, that vote will count.

    Except that you have to be able to cast a provisional ballot... and to do that, you must know where your local polling place is. And the only way to learn that... is to be registered.

    I know, because I am one of those voters. I have a copy of my registration application and the postmark that shows the application was sent - via registered mail - by the appropriate deadline. I spent the great majority of the day today trying to reach the appropriate individual at our county elections office - what a freakin' trainwreck that was. The phone went unanswered (ring, ring, ring... disconnect) for literally HOURS. I finally reached someone who kept me on hold for nearly an hour, before "transferring" me to a line that rang four times and then disconnected the call.

    I did reach someone at the SOS's office. They were, "unable to help," other than to give the county elections office number to me (again.) I have sent emails to all the appropriate people, have left messages etc. But I do not think I will be able to vote tomorrow, despite having done everything I needed to do to register, and that makes me incredibly angry.
    Call the DNC or 1-866-OUR-VOTE.

    http://www.866ourvote.org/
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant



  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2008
    Location
    Carrollton, Ga
    Posts
    1,252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Yes, but getting the documents required for an ID is not free.
    No, you are incorrect. Here is a list of documents needed. For an ID card a SS card, Birth Cert., pay stub, electric bill, bank statement, tax return etc.... All free


    http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/DLdata...46395936&ty=dl

    You should have to have an id to vote. They are not hard to get, at least in GA


    5 members found this post helpful.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Jun. 12, 2009
    Location
    Up north
    Posts
    1,267

    Default

    local polling place - no lines, well organized and efficient, no ID required.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Jun. 12, 2009
    Location
    Up north
    Posts
    1,267

    Default

    [QUOTE=spotnnotfarm;6653323]No, you are incorrect. Here is a list of documents needed. For an ID card a SS card, Birth Cert., pay stub, electric bill, bank statement, tax return etc.... All free


    In many places a copy of your BC is not free. and the SS card is not suppose to be used as a piece of identification.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2006
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    2,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyinBey++ View Post
    Are the documents required to get those IDs also free?
    Those are documents that you have to have anyway, so it really is not relevant. A birth certificate, a social security card..yep, the first ones are free.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

    She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Jul. 14, 2008
    Location
    Carrollton, Ga
    Posts
    1,252

    Default

    You get a BC when you are born do you not? I do not have children and do not remember my discharge from the hospital when I was born but I do know I have a BC. So does my husband and all the students at the school I work at. Maybe we were all lucky.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Jul. 5, 2007
    Location
    Beside Myself ~ Western NY
    Posts
    7,022

    Default

    Yes you get a BC, but if you lose yours, you have to pay to get a new copy.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand



  19. #119
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2006
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    2,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Yes you get a BC, but if you lose yours, you have to pay to get a new copy.
    then technically, you dont have to pay for ONE (although keeping up with them can be difficult, if you are like me and slightly paperwork challenged, lol)
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

    She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown


    3 members found this post helpful.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Apr. 25, 2011
    Posts
    856

    Default

    FL refused both my BC and my SS card as well as my utility bills. I must say I received absolutely NO help from all of the vocal anti suppression groups, including the DNC and the LWV.
    I was ID'd and questioned thoroughly at voting....but I
    VOTED!!!!!

    Add to that inadequate early voting time and what's the conclusion?


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Would you mind voting???
    By Firefilly in forum Off Course
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jan. 21, 2011, 12:27 AM
  2. CAROUSEL VOTING - WE WON!! WOO-HOO! $100,000!
    By Guin in forum Off Course
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: May. 19, 2009, 06:36 AM
  3. Eventing Spectator - Voting with My $$$
    By r3dd0g in forum Eventing
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: May. 2, 2009, 09:53 AM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Apr. 30, 2009, 08:02 AM
  5. If your horse was voting
    By champagnetaste in forum Off Course
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: Oct. 12, 2008, 11:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •