The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    I don't want to start a fight, I just want to understand this.

If you are a citizen how difficult is it to obtain an ID card?

If you have no form of ID isn't it quite difficult to do many things?

I really just don't understand why people say it is so bad/racist/discriminatory/whatever to be required to have some form of ID to vote.

I don't understand it either. I live in CT. and always had to show a photo I.D. in order to vote. Actually, I was shocked when I learned not all states practice this.

Photo ID is used to purchase a plane ticket, alcohol, cigarettes, many over the counter allergy medications, even some prescriptions, open a bank account, etc.

My mom who is 83 has to show her I.D. when we see a new Doctor, so they can verify her Medicare coverage.

6 members found this post helpful.

I have a different perspective.

Every voter has the right to know that their vote is not being diluted by fraudulent voters.

You need an ID of some type to get into court houses, many public events, buy cigarettes, etc. in other words, state and federal government believe showing an ID is a legitimate requirement for many common activities. Why is the bar lower for voting when the impact of fraudulent activity is arguably more profound?

Hard to get ID...several comments. First, taking the time to take a taxi down to the DMV and spend an afternoon is time consuming, but not hard for the average person. For individuals in more challenging circumstances, most states and localities have programs to provide alternate paths for getting an ID. Moreover, many voter ID laws have alternate proof of IDs including special voter registration cards MAILED to a home addresses.

Showing ID to validate that the voter is who the are purported to be is common sense. If some folks find it too challenging, lets figure out ways to help those who have the difficulty more easily get the appropriate identification.

My vote is important to me, and I want to make sure I'm not getting drowned out by the voting dead. I've voted in towns where that happened routinely...gotta love those teamsters.
    Last edited by jr; Nov. 4, 2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    I think this should not take effect in this election (to short a time frame), but I do think it should be for the next. That leaves plenty of time to arrange for one (and get needed documentation), which would be useful for plenty of other things.

I think we could come up with some way to make it less a burden; whether temporary locations to obtain one, free IDs, allow high school/college IDs, etc.
    Too short a time frame? If a person doesn't know when Presidential Election takes place, perhaps they shouldn't be voting. Lemme see, they only had a few years to get an I.D. before the election on Tuesday.

9 members found this post helpful.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    Too short a time frame? If a person doesn't know when Presidential Election takes place, perhaps they shouldn't be voting. Lemme see, they only had a few years to get an I.D. before the election on Tuesday.
    In my area, the requirement of showing ID was only instituted this year, and just recently made it's way through the courts (actually, an appeal was just filed yet again). If someone was waiting to see if it would actually be required before trying to obtain an ID, then yes, it was too short a time frame considering the issues brought up by others. Sorry if that makes you feel the need to roll your eyes.

2 members found this post helpful.

Well then, let's have national IDs. I'm fine with it, are you? And if not, why?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I don't find anything all that outrageous about the idea of instituting voter ID laws.

With that said, I don't kid myself (nor should anyone else) that this campaign on the part of conservatives has ANYTHING to do with anything other than stifling the Democrat vote.

Just ask Mike Turzai.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    I don't find anything all that outrageous about the idea of instituting voter ID laws.

With that said, I don't kid myself (nor should anyone else) that this campaign on the part of conservatives has ANYTHING to do with anything other than stifling the Democrat vote.
    EXACTLY.
    I agree with the idea on principle, and if it's going to be done, then go the whole hog and make it national and the same for everyone.

But I don't believe for ONE MINUTE that the reason that conservatives are so gung-ho on this is all principled and above board. The real reason is insidious form of voter suppression, namely of voters they know are likely to vote Democratic.
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

Why national IDs? We are a republic. Elections are administered at the state and local levels. What problem does a national ID solve? More than likely, th ID would be issued thought state auspices and state infrastructure, making it just as hard or easy to get as a state ID. The only advantage the national gov has are the databases to better identify aliens, which they are SUPPOSED to share with states anyway...

6 members found this post helpful.

Yeah jr, it's not like an NRA card is OK for ID but not a college ID or anything........ NO state would do that.......

Happy mom, not sure what you are trying to say, or why the rolly eyes, but whatever. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post

I'm not saying we shouldn't have docs, I'm just thinking we need to make it easier if we are going to require it to vote.
    They intentionally made it harder to get photo IDs here, since a handful of guys from the middle east were able to get photo IDs that they then used to get flying lessons a bit over 11 years ago.

Yes voting is a constitutional right, so is being able to own a gun. How about we make voting as onerous as buying a gun in DC? That takes a photo ID (and a whole lot more). You have to have a picture ID in VA to buy spray paint.

At 18 or 19, getting a photo ID might be a pain, but deal with it. It's part of growing up. I'm assuming that most of those 18 or 19 yro would like to have a job - newflash #2, employers have see ID to complete I-9 forms verifying that they are hiring a legal worker. If they don't get it to vote, they're going to need it to get a job anyhow.

8 members found this post helpful.

Rolly eyes, jr? Where?
    I suggest you take time to look up STATE ID requirements and thank you, I had a very nice day!

I'm in NC. I see a need for Photo ID to prevent vote fraud. Today, it is too easy and risk free to steal someone's vote.

All one has to do is say they're Ms so and so.. Address is "xxx main street" Using Information from the telephone book. The only mechanism to catch the fraud is a list of duplicate votes. That might cancel a fraudulent vote, but there's no way to catch the person stealing the vote. They have left the polling booth many days ago.

The stolen vote will never be caught if the person's name used is dead or confined or doesn't vote. Only when the real Ms so and so ... shows up to vote is there a problem.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    I don't understand it either. I live in CT. and always had to show a photo I.D. in order to vote. Actually, I was shocked when I learned not all states practice this.

Photo ID is used to purchase a plane ticket, alcohol, cigarettes, many over the counter allergy medications, even some prescriptions, open a bank account, etc.

My mom who is 83 has to show her I.D. when we see a new Doctor, so they can verify her Medicare coverage.
    You may have been asked for it, but you are not required to show it.

http://www.ct.gov/sots/LIB/sots/Elec...quirements.pdf

In CT, you can show a photo ID OR you can present a utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government documentation that shows your name and address.

NO photo ID required in CT.

Guess you fail the literacy test.

Danceronice- BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO!!! Thank you!

My USMC son in law said that in the 2008 election-noone in his whole unit-deployed- got their ballots. Not one Marine. Tell me how that is not voter interference. Also, isn't it awful funny that just a week or 2 back, a plane with military absentee votes/ballots went down and all ballots were lost?
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    It can be hard to get an ID if you can't drive due to vision, physical issues, etc. It is easy to say, 'If it is important, you'll make it happen.' Very easy for those who CAN drive and CAN go out and get things done to say that. Much harder in practice to have to beg rides places repeatedly.
    Yep. It is also pretty much impossible to get a photo id if you don't have a birth certificate and there are still a fair number of folks, mostly elderly but not all, who don't have one. No birth certificate, no DL, no passport, no state ID.

You may have a student ID, but if it doesn't have the right information on it, it doesn't count as an ID under some voter registration laws. Heck, even PA issued badges for state government workers didn't have the information necessary to meet the requirements of the voter ID law that was passed there.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

There IS voter fraud with absentee ballots. Why aren't you worried about that? Or vote buying. I remember a case a couple of years ago in a southern KY town...several politicians were caught vote buying and one's defense? "I thought that was the way you did it in KY."

Quote Originally Posted by jr View Post
    I have a different perspective.

Every voter has the right to know that their vote is not being diluted by fraudulent voters.

You need an ID of some type to get into court houses, many public events, buy cigarettes, etc. in other words, state and federal government believe showing an ID is a legitimate requirement for many common activities. Why is the bar lower for voting when the impact of fraudulent activity is arguably more profound?

Hard to get ID...several comments. First, taking the time to take a taxi down to the DMV and spend an afternoon is time consuming, but not hard for the average person. For individuals in more challenging circumstances, most states and localities have programs to provide alternate paths for getting an ID. Moreover, many voter ID laws have alternate proof of IDs including special voter registration cards MAILED to a home addresses.

Showing ID to validate that the voter is who the are purported to be is common sense. If some folks find it too challenging, lets figure out ways to help those who have the difficulty more easily get the appropriate identification.

My vote is important to me, and I want to make sure I'm not getting drowned out by the voting dead. I've voted in towns where that happened routinely...gotta love those teamsters.

Never had to show a photo id to vote; I don't fly, don't have a passport, don't buy cigarettes, haven't for many many yrs had to show an id to buy alcohol; had jury duty a few months ago, don't remember showing an id just the jury summons; don't cash checks, opened a bank acct 30yrs ago when photo Ids weren't even considered; now why is it I need a photo id? I do have a DL but when I need a new one it has to be renewed in person. The state closed the nearest RMV and the nearest one is 45min away. No bus that I know of goes there; a cab, if you could get one would be exboritantly expensive:never seen a voter registration card in all the yrs I've lived here. No other path that I'm aware of to get a photo ID besides the RMV.
    Now I'm still able bodied and drive so I do have a DL. Haven't had to show it for a long time.
    But suppose I wasn't able bodied. How would I vote if photo IDs were required? Guess I wouldn't or couldn't, so because of factors out of my control I would be disenfranchised. Is that what many other Americans want?

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey the Marcher View Post
    But see that's the heart and soul of the issue. The people pushing for it know that the folks in theses situations are generally not as determined to scale a bunch of obstacles to vote. Those folks are also by and large more likely to vote for a certain political party ( guess which one?). So you throw up some obstacles, and hey presto you've eliminated a segment of your rival's potential vote share. It may not be a large segment, but in tight elections (hmmm, any tight elections on the horizon) it can make all the difference.
    Maybe a little effort is not a bad thing. If they won't put some effort into it, it obviously doesn't mean much to them. I understand not being able to get off work to do it in the middle of the week, or not having transportation, but I also know that some folks just want something to complain about.. OH, I can't go vote because I couldn't get up there at a convenient time. Well you know what...life is rarely easy, and rarely fits into our schedules. There are exceptions. I would be more than willing to help someone that I knew needed help getting a picture id. Many people would.

I would not be opposed to some sort of help-setting up anexpo booth or something to let people get their picture ids done. We do spay and neuter clinics for less advantaged, why not this?

I just thought about something. To get a job, most places, even Walmart and Target, want a drug test. You have to have a picture id to get one done. To get state benefits-afdc, food stamps etc, you have to have a picture id. I bet DFACS would be willing to help people get the required paperwork done.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Applecore View Post
    Or what if there is a major natural disaster right before voting and you're lucky to hastily evacuate, but your drivers license, passport, social security card and other documents are either inaccessible or waterlogged or burned in a house fire.

Should you still be allowed to vote?

Surprised no one has brought this up in light of recent events . . .
    I had a discussion with a friend and brought up that very point. Her answer was along the lines of "sucks to be you."

I just went through hoops to replace my son's driver's license. He had to move in a hurry and could not find any of his important papers. He could not order a copy of his birth certificate online because he needed a photo ID but he couldn't get his DL replaced without the BC and a second form of ID, even though he still looks exactly like his DL photo. Unlike me who was bald from chemo.

I had to order the birth certificate using my ID as his mother. If I were dead, he could have authorized a friend to order it for him (and how do we prove it was he who authorized the friend, pray tell??!) He ended up finding his Selective Services card and used that as the second form of ID. By the time this was all said and done, we'd spent well over $100. It took several weeks to get it all sorted out: the birth records are in WI, I'm in NoVA and he's in Blacksburg. Not a simple process by any means, nor is it truly affordable.

Virginia requires ID to vote, but a photo at the poll is NOT required. I'm going to use my voter card as my ID. I could also use my work ID (with photo) or my DL or a concealed handgun permit (which I don't have) but I think the voter card will do nicely.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

1 members found this post helpful.